Neill Blomkamp new movie Chappie

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Call me paranoid, but the way he portrayed the non-white characters in district 9 (the Nigerians for example) and Elysium, I'd rather he doesn't direct the BP film.
don't worry, he's gonna make a subpar Alien movie next, probably a conflict.

this dude might not actually be all that great. Lets not act like Elysium is good. Chappie is getting crapped on and doesn't look that good...

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
don't worry, he's gonna make a subpar Alien movie next, probably a conflict.

this dude might not actually be all that great. Lets not act like Elysium is good. Chappie is getting crapped on and doesn't look that good...

Yea Elysium was mad average at best

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
just came bak from seeing this..me personally i liked it and if u like short circuit i honestly cant see how u wont either..not as much action and violence as elysium or D9 but i still liked it. I also thought sharlto was great as chappie and really made u feel for him when he was going through his hardships and how he was learning every day....the ending definitely sets it up for a sequel and i honestly wouldnt mind it

Last edited:

WhoShotCha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DUUVALLLL
This look trash. I've saw two diff trailers attempt to market this film two completely ways and it still looked trash both times. I think he shot his wad with District 9 (God that movie was so damn amazing), Duncan Jones is better.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Not as good as District 9. Much better than Elysium, though it has some of the same pitfalls.

I enjoyed it quite a bit overall, though it is definitely flawed.

icelandSpar

Rookie
Daps
This movie was dope. Not sure why the reviews are so bad. For the record, Elysium was one of the biggest disappointments of recent memory.

RajWatts

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
huge fukkin disappointment.....that South African rap group probably has the most screen time, the problem is they cant act for shyt. Weavers character barely has 3 lines, and Hugh Jackman out here actin like a cartoon villain version of the Crocodile Hunter:mjlol:

on the positive side Copley da gawds motion capture and performance is :ohlawd: and the ending action sequence is:whew:

rest of the flick is :trash: doe. I wanted to like this but too many flaws.... unfortunately Blomkamp is 1 for 3 :to:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
They better drop that Enter The Ninja on the soundtrack though! :ufdup:

They listened! I was marking the fukk out when the song kicked in during the end scene. :blessed:

But the movie itself, as some have mentioned already, is entertaining but flawed. It's levels above Elysium but it still falls into the same pitfalls as that one and District 9, in particular that Blomkamp isn't a great storyteller. The man has great concepts and interesting ideas, but seemingly no ability to work them into a smooth story. Instead of doing some proper world building the movie just opens with an info dump and almost all the characters are only serving their purpose in the plot, without any proper motivation. Especially Tetravaal, the big corporation in the movie is a joke. The progressive scientist, the uncaring CEO who's all about her money, the angry competitor, they're all underdeveloped clichés. And also, they are literally the only three people in the corporation that do something. Everybody else is completely indifferent to all the fukkery that is going on there, making the roles of those three characters even more forced than they already are.

On the other side there's Die Antwoord, who bring the most entertainment as they try to turn Chappie into a gangster that will work for them. Those are also the best scenes in the movie, when they use an elaborate lie to get Chappie to steal cars for them it's pure hilarity, as well as them convincing Chappie, who refuses to use guns because they hurt people, to use knives and throwing stars because 'stabbing people puts them to sleep'. :deadmanny:

Also, the blatant Sony advertising has to be the all-time worst I've ever seen in a movie. They randomly get a pile of PS4's of a weapons dealer, which is bad enough as it is, but later they actually hook them up together because they need the combined CPU power to try to transfer Chappie's consciousness into a computer. :deadrose:

Also, the ending action sequence was really mishandled, because Jackman's robot is so ridiculously OP compared to what he faces (Chappie and a bunch of gangsters) that it makes no sense any of them are still alive after the first twenty seconds when he's firing his minigun, multiple missiles and dropping goddamn cluster bombs on the whole area. I did really like the turn things took toward the ending though, I didn't expect it to go there and even though it was underdeveloped, as well as ripping off a similar concept Blomkamp already used in District 9, did lift the movie up a bit. It's just a shame that Blomkamp is so limited to only his concept that we never get a fully functioning movie out of it.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Movie is thoroughly entertaining.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
They listened! I was marking the fukk out when the song kicked in during the end scene. :blessed:

But the movie itself, as some have mentioned already, is entertaining but flawed. It's levels above Elysium but it still falls into the same pitfalls as that one and District 9, in particular that Blomkamp isn't a great storyteller. The man has great concepts and interesting ideas, but seemingly no ability to work them into a smooth story. Instead of doing some proper world building the movie just opens with an info dump and almost all the characters are only serving their purpose in the plot, without any proper motivation. Especially Tetravaal, the big corporation in the movie is a joke. The progressive scientist, the uncaring CEO who's all about her money, the angry competitor, they're all underdeveloped clichés. And also, they are literally the only three people in the corporation that do something. Everybody else is completely indifferent to all the fukkery that is going on there, making the roles of those three characters even more forced than they already are.

On the other side there's Die Antwoord, who bring the most entertainment as they try to turn Chappie into a gangster that will work for them. Those are also the best scenes in the movie, when they use an elaborate lie to get Chappie to steal cars for them it's pure hilarity, as well as them convincing Chappie, who refuses to use guns because they hurt people, to use knives and throwing stars because 'stabbing people puts them to sleep'. :deadmanny:

Also, the blatant Sony advertising has to be the all-time worst I've ever seen in a movie. They randomly get a pile of PS4's of a weapons dealer, which is bad enough as it is, but later they actually hook them up together because they need the combined CPU power to try to transfer Chappie's consciousness into a computer. :deadrose:

Also, the ending action sequence was really mishandled, because Jackman's robot is so ridiculously OP compared to what he faces (Chappie and a bunch of gangsters) that it makes no sense any of them are still alive after the first twenty seconds when he's firing his minigun, multiple missiles and dropping goddamn cluster bombs on the whole area. I did really like the turn things took toward the ending though, I didn't expect it to go there and even though it was underdeveloped, as well as ripping off a similar concept Blomkamp already used in District 9, did lift the movie up a bit. It's just a shame that Blomkamp is so limited to only his concept that we never get a fully functioning movie out of it.
movie was pure fukkery, fukkmother!

Last edited: