Naughty Dog so inspired by Elden Ring: Declares no more Movie Games per Neil Druckmannn

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No I am actually excited to move away from the cinema template Sony uses. There is a niche for it but these studios too talented to not try other oulets.

Naughty Dog already uses environmental storytelling, the entire first section of The Last of Us 2 where you pull up a map (that you find, not part of the UI), travel to the the destination and find stuff in the open world is what he’s talking about, and they’ve been done that. Like the entire story of the people robbing the bank on outbreak day, and you find the shotgun in one of their hands in the vault.

They did it in Lost Legacy and Uncharted 4 as well.

Either way, i have no reason to doubt ND/ND at this point. 30 years in the game and they’ve only provided piff :wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I would prefer game play that didn’t hold my hand.

I’m cool with cutscenes. I don’t like dark souls way of story telling.
This.

It’s clear this guy cares more about telling a story than making a game. You NEVER hear him talking about gameplay innovations or inspirations. It’s always about story or graphics/presentation.

The game is just a vehicle for him to tell his stories.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
you are just realizing that creative multifaceted environments are what human players enjoy the most???? you dont say?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This.

It’s clear this guy cares more about telling a story than making a game. You NEVER hear him talking about gameplay innovations or inspirations. It’s always about story or graphics/presentation.

The game is just a vehicle for him to tell his stories.

Over the course of this nearly 25 minute episode, Neil Druckmann, Director of The Last of Us Part II, will provide an extensive look at the gameplay, threats, and world of the game ahead of its release on 19th June on PS4. To cap it all off, he’ll introduce a never-before-seen extended gameplay sequence to close out the show.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

“provide a look at gameplay”

Obviously they show gameplay. But when he gets in these interviews and talks about his games. It’s always about the story or presentation.
Have you played TLOU 2? Because UC4 and TLOU 2 have done some of that already e.g. environmental storytelling.

I know yo ass just rushed in this thread because it looked like cannon fodder for Xbot stannery. :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That sucks, i hate elden type games where there is no character. Prefer the naughty dog approach. most people don't even know the name of the protaganist

This is why it’s annoying when things get posted here with no other context, cause people dont actually click the articles or watch the source material. They said they are following the template they’ve been experimenting with before, they aren’t getting rid of cutscenes and character dialogue, they are just going to try and push some of the stuff they’ve been doing more like some of the open zone sections of LL and TLOU2

Also, he didn’t just mention elden ring, he mentions Inside, Ico, and their own games

"That doesn't mean we will never have dialogue, or cutscenes, I think those are tools in your toolbox... And I think there's a way to push that stuff forward, at least for the kind of games we make at Naughty Dog. I'm really intrigued, again, never resting on our laurels and trying something a little bit new, a little bit different, that not everybody's going to like, but that's okay. And the stuff that we're working on now, I can tell you the teams are very excited by the different projects we have at Naughty Dog."