Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Beautiful life i wasnt feelin but rza one is dope..just snippets though...i dont like beats with no drums ill listen once n thats it

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
JULY ESCOBAR SEASON LET'S GO ESCO!!!!!...1 MORE DAY!!!!!!!.........Can't wait, I was in college when the original dropped. As for "Jarreau of Rap", some of the responses on here reminded me of "Bridging the Gap" back in 04'. That was also a polarizing song for NaS too that was jazz influenced. People had strong opinions on that song after how hard "Theif's Theme" was when it dropped. "The Lost Freestyle" is the introduction to the album to me. "Jarreau of Rap" is straight, not Earth shattering but the song does show me NaS is truly a student of Black Musical History it was very creative. NaS has always done experimental type records. He also pays homage to Jazz mainly because of his Father and what he grew up with. Jazz has always had a very powerful place in Hip Hop History from countless samples from many Legendary Jazz Artist. I give him props for shinning a light on Al Jarreau legacy with the song. One interesting thing about this album is I've already heard 25% thus far. 2 Un-mastered, 1 Snippet and 1 Full track. That less than the over 50% I heard from the original Lost Tapes before it was released. So I'm happy there so much I haven't heard.

So though it's a compilation of old material and songs, it feels like a fresh LP since we haven't heard everything. Also people need to stop analyzing and trying to make this a solo "Album". It's not. And neither was the original and people have been trying to make that a "Solo Album" for years. It's a compilation and will be judged as such. The songs span over a decade instead of the 3 years from the original. The original Lost Tapes didn't have a official Video and or Single back in 02' He was still riding high off "Stillmatic. It's wild, he just dropped the joint and had a LP for us 3 months later with "God's Son". So we basically got 3 NaS LP's in one year (Dec 01-Dec 02). The tagline for the album was " No cameos. No hype. No bullsh*t" ( As for features "Affirmative Action Remix" was on the international editions). This one it seems only Singing features and maybe Swizz talking on a hook. There was also some that did complain back then that it was too short and he left off even more "I am" Songs we wanted to hear CDQ mastered. But we still always loved the album because again we got those CDQ of bootleg tracks we were listening too for years.

Plus a lot of us didn't hear the "Stillmatic" outtakes at the time so that was fresh. The original actually did pretty well the charts hitting Top 10 on the Pop Charts and #3 on the R&B/Rap charts, I believe it went Gold too. Pretty good for outtakes. Well see if he makes a video for this album. (Lost Freestyle snippet did bring me back with that sample and aggressive flow) This series overall is truly a gift to the fans. I hope he drops many more volumes for the years to come. Also LOL @ the Beyonce release date conspiracies. Yes Hov and B should of waited a week last year but this year? "The Lion King" is one of the biggest movies of all time and remake was scheduled long before we even knew NaS was dropping this. Also it's not shocking she's doing a "Side" album. It's still coming out on Disney. She's Beyonce, of course she would have a longer LP focused on her. On the movie soundtrack, she's only on like 3 Songs. Jay kind of did that with his "American Gangster" album as far as a side LP to a movie. Lion King back in theaters and The Lost Tapes Blockbuster Sequel dropping. This weekend gonna be a 80's baby Time Warp, lol. With that said, it is funny they are dropping on the same day again in back to back years, lol.

kanye-and-beyonce.jpg

KanYe will appear on "The Lost Tapes II" after producing "Nasir" last year. Jay Z has a feature on Beyonce's new "Lion King: The Gift" album dropping the same day as the movie.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I haven't heard any snippets, but this whole roll out feels more like a follow up to Life Is Good. It doesn't even feel like this is a Lost Tapes, but his follow up to Life Is Good. I didn't get that from Nasir. That whole thing was just awkward from the listening event (especially with Kim K showing up).

This is a traditional album release. You announce/tease your album, release a single, have a listening party, maybe release one more track and then the album comes out. The Kanye thing was spur of the moment and rushed. No promo or buildup, just here's the album and oh btw it took us 1-2 weeks to make it. Granted it was announced that Kanye was working on a Nas album a month before it came out, and they had a listening party. I remember being so hyped, and praying he wasn't trolling lol.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
This is a traditional album release. You announce/tease your album, release a single, have a listening party, maybe release one more track and then the album comes out. The Kanye thing was spur of the moment and rushed. No promo or buildup, just here's the album and oh btw it took us 1-2 weeks to make it. Granted it was announced that Kanye was working on a Nas album a month before it came out, and they had a listening party. I remember being so hyped, and praying he wasn't trolling lol.
I really wish Nas wouldve did something with Ye when he was supposed to. Around 06-07 instead of dealing with this nutcuse that dude turned into. Ye singlehandedly fukked up dude’s album release.

Daps
It just tickles me burgandy that people all of a sudden have Al Jarraeu albums on deck. :heh:

Ya'll can say what you want because it's your words against mine but what the fukk ever dog :dead:

:dahell:

Again my man, not to keep beating this into the ground but I own several of his albums on vinyl that my dad bought back in the day and used to play when I was a kid. You're acting like he was some fringe artist that it's so unbelievable people rocked with him that are also into hip-hop. He won over 10 grammys and has numerous multi platinum albums. You don't exactly have to go deep crate digging to find an Al Jarreau record. :heh:

He had notable recognition on a mainstream level. I still remember Tommy Davidson's stand-up routine poking fun at his style. He was for all intents and purposes a pop artist based on his notoriety, even though his background was in jazz.

You have to be on the younger side to be surprised or not know about any of this. Playing his music coming up was no different than having Anita Baker, Phyllis Hyman, Stevie Wonder or any other artist of that era that got play on your local soul or easy listening station. Like I said, go peep the threads that have been made about him or any of the RIP threads made the day he died. It was even stickied if I'm not mistaken.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not literally I just want to know what breh been on. He's my fav rapper and I still feel like I barely know him. BC is good for in depth interviews

Nas is not a good interview. Neither is Jay as a matter of fact.

Them nikkas come across awkward as hell in interviews, plus they are so private.

They are very old school in terms of maintaining mystery in this world of over sharing. I actually appreciate that about them.

I’ve actually lost respect for some of my faves when I realized how corny they are by sharing too much.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
:francis:

I see that Hov still in his feelings. It's a shame he has to throw shade on the chosen MC after all these years, and he hides behind his wife. Did the same thing last year when they dropped everything is Love joint.same day as kanye project,

Well NaS is still better. And when this next classic drops the gap only will widen between them
Seek help, seriously

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Statik said one of the Pete Rock joints is a letter to prodigy:mjcry:

Nas tends to leave some of the more personal records off of his albums, he’s admitted that in the past. I think that, due to the trauma of Ill Will’s death that Nas processes pain differently than most:wow:

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
Nas tends to leave some of the more personal records off of his albums, he’s admitted that in the past. I think that, due to the trauma of Ill Will’s death that Nas processes pain differently than most:wow:
Probably why a track like “My Way” didnt get put on an album since he said he freestyled that shyt on his birthday reminiscing bout Will