Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't know why people had such an issue with Nas releasing two albums last year. After Magic, it should have been understood that Hit-Boy was bringing out a new creative energy and music was being made constantly. Especially considering the fact that Nas announced KD3 on Magic.

I think Magic 3's status is going to rise as time goes on. People were still stuck on what they wanted out of Magic 2, so they didn't see that we were given another great album.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listened to a couple songs today. This album shouldn't be overlooked.
None of the albums should be overlooked. Just in a vacuum, all 6 (at least 5 of them, lol) are really really really good rap albums. I'm standing on why I think they feel overlooked and underappreciated though...there's a certain sense/feel of excellence and exclusivity that comes with being elusive and "Rare", pun intended.

Many artists, fashion houses, car manufacturers, luxury-based products in general follow this way of thinking...you don't even see commercials and Ads for a lot of that high end, highfalutin sh!t, lol, because it's so fire and rare that the word will spread by itself when they finally do drop sumn new and the people will flock. Nas just throwing joints out left and right constantly depreciated the value imo. I'm telling yall man, it made him and the work feel more Regular than it actually is/was for a lot of people. Not me of course, and not yall, I'm just speakin for the everyday rap fan. I think what Nas did with this run won't be appreciated til maybe 10-20 years down the road, sadly.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah this album in second place out of both series for me, it’s crazy that this would even be overlooked.

None of the albums should be overlooked. Just in a vacuum, all 6 (at least 5 of them, lol) are really really really good rap albums. I'm standing on why I think they feel overlooked and underappreciated though...there's a certain sense/feel of excellence and exclusivity that comes with being elusive and "Rare", pun intended.

Many artists, fashion houses, car manufacturers, luxury-based products in general follow this way of thinking...you don't even see commercials and Ads for a lot of that high end, highfalutin sh!t, lol, because it's so fire and rare that the word will spread by itself when they finally do drop sumn new and the people will flock. Nas just throwing joints out left and right constantly depreciated the value imo. I'm telling yall man, it made him and the work feel more Regular than it actually is/was for a lot of people. Not me of course, and not yall, I'm just speakin for the everyday rap fan. I think what Nas did with this run won't be appreciated til maybe 10-20 years down the road, sadly.

I saw you guys' quotes and now, I'm listening to "Fever." :dead:

You make a great point, @Pop123. KD3 was the last album that felt like an event, but that had more to do with the fact that it was anticipated for a year. The gap between Magic and KD3 was almost as big as the gap between the first two KD albums, which helped build up more hype. I don't know how inspired Nas will be to make albums without Hit-Boy, which is why I feel like this run won't happen again. He was gone for six years, and depending on how you feel about Nasir, it was eight years. Two generations of kids graduated high school during that time. The Hit-Boy run was like eight years worth of albums, along with the features, the side projects, and the Grammy performance, which was like Nas getting his flowers on the grand stage. I would understand if the albums fell off over time, but you can have actual debates over what the best album is because they all go in different directions. Most rappers are creatively tapped out by their sixth album. We're talking about albums 12-17, which is unheard of in hip hop.

Last edited:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain

You make a great point, @Pop123. KD3 was the last album that felt like an event, but that had more to do with the fact that it was anticipated for a year. The gap between Magic and KD3 was almost as big as the gap between the first two KD albums, which helped build up more hype. I don't know how inspired Nas will be to make albums without Hit-Boy, which is why I feel like this run won't happen again. He was gone for six years, and depending on how you feel about Nasir, it was eight years. Two generations of kids graduated high school during that time. The Hit-Boy run was like eight years worth of albums, along with the features, the side projects, and the Grammy performance, which was like Nas getting his flowers on the grand stage. I would understand if the albums fell off over time, but you can have actual debates over what the best album is because they all go in different directions. Most rappers are creatively tapped out by their sixth album. We're talking about albums 12-17, which is unheard of in hip hop.

Yeah. The most impressing thing about this run is the way it bumped a lot of his earliest work lower in his discography. Magic and Kd3 are on my top 5 nas records (not counting the lost tapes). That's mind-blowing to me

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Whats crazy is that I don’t think Nas is going to slow down. I think he’s really caught the holy fukking ghost and will drop another album this year. Maybe it’ll be the long awaited Premo produced joint or he’ll go in an entirely different direction but Nas and Mass Appeal are on FIRE right now and I don’t think Nas wants to even run the risk of cooling off, creatively speaking.

I also think that whats happening right now is as much by design as its been creative inspiration. The documentaries, the tv shows, the films, the albums, the Hip Hop 50 Celebrations, all of this has been planned for several years. Nas is setting up how the back half of his career and legacy is going to look like. My guess is that in the next three years he’ll be writing and directing feature films and maybe helming some tv series.