Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Magic 3 came out a couple months after Magic 2. When did you know they were making the third installment of that series?

When Magic 2 came out, I was in Korea. Magic 2 was already recorded for months. I was hounding them and asking, “Hey, when are we mixing? What are the deadlines?” They weren’t really sure about it. I told them, “I’m going to Korea next month for three weeks, so let me know.” I jet off to Korea. The day before I returned to LA, they said, “Yo, Nas wants to put this out next week.” I’m still in Korea, so I asked Hit to send the files. He sent me the files, I went into the studio out there, and I started mixing. I mixed three songs in Korea.

I landed at 8 a.m. at LAX. I was at the studio from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. I was in there for almost 20 hours straight mixing Magic 2. I continued mixing it the next day and the day after that. I had to mix the whole Magic 2 in two days. The week after, they said, “Hey, we need to do Magic 3.” Some people think we had this in the hole or some of the songs that didn’t make Magic 2. No, they started recording Magic 3 the week after Magic 2 came out. And that was only a month and a half ago.

"Based on True Events, Pt. 2" was an unfinished song from the Magic 1 sessions. :ohhh:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
I love this video and song. For the life of me I can’t understand any of the hit boy hate. Him and Nas together is a cheat code.
its more of a name thing at this point, because on this, Magic 1 and KD 3 he showed hella range. some of thse beats sound that they came from some of the producers nikkas love talking about lol

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
9/14 was like X Mas. MK1 dropped and this album.

Some take aways from this album:

1) "Fever" is my 2nd favorite intro from the KD and Magic series. Only "Speechless" is better.

2) The storytelling is CRAZY. Didn't expect to hear that at this level at this stage of his career.

3) Production is nice throughout.

4) I see people not liking "No Tears". I don't mind it, but it is one of the weaker joints on an album where nothing is wack.

Favorite song- Based On True Events, Pt. 2.