Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea Nas himself broke the street date with Gods Son and dropped it on a Friday instead of the traditional Tuesday at the time. He “only” sold 159K first week but he moved the date up due to bootlegging. Nas has had the WORST luck when it comes to his shyt being bootlegged, its the only reason why Lost Tapes exists or we would’ve gotten the I Am double album.

I think thats part of the reason why Nas has a “fukk it” attitude towards sales. He knows people want his work, and it’ll always show in the concert and merch sales if it doesn’t on Billboard. And with streaming being as fugazi and suspect as it is, I bet he gives not one iota of a fukk

All I know is he’ll always and forever get MY dollars so it is what it is
I remember that. I drove to 3 or 4 stores before I found a copy that Friday. A different time then!

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN

Magic 3 came out a couple months after Magic 2. When did you know they were making the third installment of that series?

When Magic 2 came out, I was in Korea. Magic 2 was already recorded for months. I was hounding them and asking, “Hey, when are we mixing? What are the deadlines?” They weren’t really sure about it. I told them, “I’m going to Korea next month for three weeks, so let me know.” I jet off to Korea. The day before I returned to LA, they said, “Yo, Nas wants to put this out next week.” I’m still in Korea, so I asked Hit to send the files. He sent me the files, I went into the studio out there, and I started mixing. I mixed three songs in Korea.

I landed at 8 a.m. at LAX. I was at the studio from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. I was in there for almost 20 hours straight mixing Magic 2. I continued mixing it the next day and the day after that. I had to mix the whole Magic 2 in two days. The week after, they said, “Hey, we need to do Magic 3.” Some people think we had this in the hole or some of the songs that didn’t make Magic 2. No, they started recording Magic 3 the week after Magic 2 came out. And that was only a month and a half ago.

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz

Magic 3 came out a couple months after Magic 2. When did you know they were making the third installment of that series?

When Magic 2 came out, I was in Korea. Magic 2 was already recorded for months. I was hounding them and asking, “Hey, when are we mixing? What are the deadlines?” They weren’t really sure about it. I told them, “I’m going to Korea next month for three weeks, so let me know.” I jet off to Korea. The day before I returned to LA, they said, “Yo, Nas wants to put this out next week.” I’m still in Korea, so I asked Hit to send the files. He sent me the files, I went into the studio out there, and I started mixing. I mixed three songs in Korea.

I landed at 8 a.m. at LAX. I was at the studio from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. I was in there for almost 20 hours straight mixing Magic 2. I continued mixing it the next day and the day after that. I had to mix the whole Magic 2 in two days. The week after, they said, “Hey, we need to do Magic 3.” Some people think we had this in the hole or some of the songs that didn’t make Magic 2. No, they started recording Magic 3 the week after Magic 2 came out. And that was only a month and a half ago.
insanity :wow:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Im really curious what Nas approach is going to be going forward after the Magic 2+3 experiment (and I do think the strategy of how he dropped these albums is an experiment not the music itself)

Both albums felt like mixtape releases with no intention of selling (Magic 3 might not even make the Billboard 200 and that seemed intentional. I dont know what the bundle deal is, he had merch but no bundle packages... and I dont know why him releasing 3 hours earlier on Thursday should affect his place on the chart this badly) and he can certainly drop a ton of quality albums like tapes at a high rate. In fact a lot of rappers do that as they get older and arent on a label. He didnt submit Magic 1 for the Grammys and hes got 3 albums that are eligible but would anyone be surprised if he didnt submit any for Rap album of the year? People online fukk with his shyt but hes get less and less outlets reviewing his shyt (Even Pitchfork looks like they wont be reviewing Magic 3 as its almost been 2 weeks and no review which is sorta great actually lol)

But Im also used to Nas still being "relativley relevant" it feels like he might be just be dropping to no fanfare intentionally. He kinda had a chance to beat the most top 10 debuts on the Billboard 200 for a rapper (not that its a major record but still kinda shows a bit of longevity) and he didnt with these 2. I hope he doesnt just throw albums out with no hype because he had a chance to be the true face of longevity and not just Daz/E-40/Snoop dropping all the time and no one caring (respectfully)

Last edited:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Im really curious what Nas approach is going to be going forward after the Magic 2+3 experiment (and I do think the strategy of how he dropped these albums is an experiment not the music itself)

Both albums felt like mixtape releases with no intention of selling (Magic 3 might not even make the Billboard 200 and that seemed intentional. I dont know what the bundle deal is, he had merch but no bundle packages... and I dont know why him releasing 3 hours earlier on Thursday should affect his place on the chart this badly) and he can certainly drop a ton of quality albums like tapes at a high rate. In fact a lot of rappers do that as they get older and arent on a label. He didnt submit Magic 1 for the Grammys and hes got 3 albums that are eligible but would anyone be surprised if he didnt submit any for Rap album of the year? People online fukk with his shyt but hes get less and less outlets reviewing his shyt (Even Pitchfork looks like they wont be reviewing Magic 3 as its almost been 2 weeks and no review which is sorta great actually lol)

But Im also used to Nas still being "relativley relevant" it feels like he might be just be dropping to no fanfare intentionally. He kinda had a chance to beat the most top 10 debuts on the Billboard 200 for a rapper (not that its a major record but still kinda shows a bit of longevity) and he didnt with these 2. I hope he doesnt just throw albums out with no hype because he had a chance to be the true face of longevity and not just Daz/E-40/Snoop dropping all the time and no one caring (respectfully)

Agree.

KD2 sold 56.000 first week and its more critically acclaimed and better than any Magic release for me, it doesn't have to be either or, you can still drop a near flawless album which is also comercially viable.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Agree.

KD2 sold 56.000 first week and its more critically acclaimed and better than any Magic release for me, it doesn't have to be either or, you can still drop a near flawless album which is also comercially viable.

And I think depending on who he works with next album will play a big factor in the hype of the records. Premier, Metro Boomin, Mike Will, Alchemist etc and that will probably draw that audience in a little. Depending on if they find the chemistry

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When do people think Nas referring to when he said he’s left rap and never told fans.

I assume during the period between LIG and Nasir when he clearly didn’t seem fully inspired with what he was creating or perhaps during the period when his mum was ill.

Be interesting to know when Nas felt disinterested and why.
Feels like he was talking about around the Street Disciples/Hip-Hop Is Dead/Untitled Eras; where he was highly criticized for being way ahead of the game with those deep prophetic album themes:lupe::ohhh::wow:

Ty-Fife

14k Gold Slum Computer Wizard
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Son is really doing this shyt at 50… crazy :wow: