Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone on my Facebook said Nas doesn’t do Hitboy beats justice, he used Wayne’s verse as an example of the type of rapper who does, 🤯😱. Said a lot of them beats and joints Hit gave Nas would have been smash hits and everywhere for other rappers but Nas style brings them down.

I’m only relaying it because I know if they feel like that then others do too…and because it’s interesting seeing as how a lot of people like to blame Hitboy/the producer and not the vocalist. Anybody agree with this?

Get this BS outta here

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
This Hitboy run has put Nas catalog out of reach for anybody else to reach imo. BEFORE this run he already had the goat discography, but it was album cut/headphones heavy.

Now he has countless concert/ stadium joints that super fans and non fans will love. The cypher is complete now. GOAT.

Up yo Catalog dog mine is worth too much - :ahh:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
This Hitboy run has put Nas catalog out of reach for anybody else to reach imo. BEFORE this run he already had the goat discography, but it was album cut/headphones heavy.

Now he has countless concert/ stadium joints that super fans and non fans will love. The cypher is complete now. GOAT.

I agree apart from the last part, you say the concert stadium joints but he’s biggest stadium joints are still from 99-2002, Made You Look, Hate Me Now, Oochie Wally, You Owe Me, etc, none of these recent songs really caught fire with mainstream crowds, and that’s partly down to Nas himself and the decisions he made.

Still the GOAT though regardless.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Because it sounds like a robot having an orgasm

Combine that with poor mixing and a trash synth and it just sounds like a complete mess. Everything in the beat sounds like its competing with eachother and it's distracting as hell. And again that comes down to poor mixing.

That's why hit keeps his beats as simple as possible most of the time. Cause when he starts adding layers everything gets muddy. And this track is a perfect example. It's a weird beat and as a result Nas had to use a choppy robotic flow that doesn't come natural to him. He did his best and spit some dope shyt. But it's extremely hard to get inspired when you gotta turn shyt into gold. Hit is just not the guy for Nas.

You are partially right with TSK

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell me if I’m tripping, but I think the numbers on the albums are more important than the titles.

KD1 is like a Nas album for the whole family. Any casual Nas fan could probably vibe to it, so it makes sense it won a Grammy. M1 goes in the complete opposite direction and was made specifically for the purists.

KD2 and M2 both start off very modern and eventually land in a warm and jazzy place. Biggest difference is the first half of M2 is modern in a way that a lot of Nas fans are less comfortable with.

M3 is like KD3’s evil twin. M3 is celebratory and introspective but if you read between the lines Nas is really feeling himself on it. He’s more humble on KD3. Also KD3 looks back on the past and M3 is more about the present and future. Both epic albums and will eventually be remembered as the best of this run.

Good catch i think it matches up with all of Nas era’s too. Like he said on KD3 this is his 3rd prime and this is his final form. After bumping all weekend i figured out why i prefer this album so quickly. Like someone said in here, this is what i expected the kanye collab to sound. Hit’s soul sampling on this knocked it out the park

Daps
Reppin
Toledo, OH
I agree apart from the last part, you say the concert stadium joints but he’s biggest stadium joints are still from 99-2002, Made You Look, Hate Me Now, Oochie Wally, You Owe Me, etc, none of these recent songs really caught fire with mainstream crowds, and that’s partly down to Nas himself and the decisions he made.

Still the GOAT though regardless.
That’s definitely fair to say.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
You are partially right with TSK

I’m not a big fan of TSK. Personally not a fan of that general type of production. Lacks a certain bounce and rhythm to me. But Nas killed it with his verse with the Bishop and Furious references

Only other track im not particularly big on is No Tears. I love the lyrics and the concept but again just that style of production I’m not big on.

Rest of the album though is absolutely flames.

My favourite 3 comfortably Magic 1, KD3 and Magic 3. which order I’m still not sure on though

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Someone on my Facebook said Nas doesn’t do Hitboy beats justice, he used Wayne’s verse as an example of the type of rapper who does, 🤯😱. Said a lot of them beats and joints Hit gave Nas would have been smash hits and everywhere for other rappers but Nas style brings them down.

I’m only relaying it because I know if they feel like that then others do too…and because it’s interesting seeing as how a lot of people like to blame Hitboy/the producer and not the vocalist. Anybody agree with this?
This doesn’t make any logical sense. Hit Boy has been working with other artists over the last few years besides Nas, where are these mythical smash hits?

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
This collab has benefited both Nas and Hit. Nas clearly inspired to rap and this collab definitely given Hit credibility with a broader group of hip hop fans. A producer can extend their demand for years purely from what they’ve done previous. And this 6 album run a clear feather in Hit’s cap

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
I used to call down to the crib, you would answer the phone
And years later, you were in shootouts with some of my mans with the chrome
Wow, so foul
How do projects turn to a war zone?
This is the place we call home
Drama, homicide, suicide in our father's eyes
We programmed to survive, but it's love that we don't prioritize