Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
:whoo:

I honestly like something about every single song from first listen. The samples on this are crazy. "Superhero Status", "I Love This Feeling", "Never Die", "Pretty Young Girl", "Based on True Events 1 AND 2", "Blue Bentley", "Sitting with My thoughts", "Jodeci Member", "Japanese Soul Bar". Damn, it's just so consistent.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
i understand the MassAppeal situ. But sayin i own my Masters now...made me think the other outstanding Masters from Sony/Columbia have reverted back to him like what Mc Search aluded to ....unless im mixing it up with Publishing.

MC Serch never owned the Masters to Illmatic. He’s always said he owned a small part of the Publishing. If i’m not mistaken it was like 5-10% and Nas owned the rest. Serch sold his ownership last year and said that he offered it to Nas first but that those rights would revert back to Nas anyway in the next 5 years so Nas told him “get your money”.

Last I heard Nas was actively trying to buy his Masters from Sony/Columbia but the plug chick said Sony was NEVER selling them because every time Nas puts out a new album the back catalog spikes in sales. But if the 30 year rule kicks in this year then presumably the illmatic Masters are now his and in 3 more years he’ll get the It Was Written rights

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
According to David Kim this wasn’t even tucked. Nas and Hit conceived, wrote, produced, and recorded this album within a MONTH. Right after the Yankee Stadium show

That is fukking insane. :mindblown:

I won’t even say I told y’all nikkas.

But, I told you doubters. Shout out to Hit.

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City

main-qimg-de00517a3e9e80e99756f5f7ffc0b4bf

HHID

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Couple notes/questions here :

- Was I the only one who was a little nervous when I pressed play and was totally relieved when the bass kicked in at 0'30 on Fever?

- I always get tricked on I Love This Feeling "I just keep it calm, watching it all play... Out" each fukking time I hear it as Ouch from Bokheem Woodbine

- Don't y'all get Book Of Rhymes vibes on Speechless 2? Like he's just throwing in the craziest random bars without much connection

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Album is pretty damn good, i'm just much more of a KD series fan. This dude doesn't like it though.

I don't know why people can't accept that hitboy's beats just feel dead. Even his best ones lose some points because the mixing is always so bad. They feel like some 9th wonder barebone throwaways from early 2000.

He came better on this one but still about half the beats are kinda dull. TSK and No Tears are perfect examples. Just incredibly boring and dull synth beats. But Nas stans will call them classics just because they're on a Nas album. Shoulda just hit up metro booming or Travis Scott if he wanted these types of beats. At least Nas finally gave Hitboy his release papers. Time to work with some real heavy hitters now.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Not gonna have time to give this a real listen, digest the bars and all that until the weekend. But off one listen this a big step up from Magic 2. This might end up near the top of the series though. Liked this better than KD3 and M2 first time through.