Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
“Hit-Boy on the beat, this shyt ‘posed to slap”

Every fukking time. 4-peat! KD3 is the latest and maybe the greatest of the four–woooooooweeeee this muthafukka is dope sonically! It rides all the way through and don’t let up.

It feels urgent, big, and epic at moments. Elsewhere, more nostalgic and laid back. Funky on Recession Proof. Lot of different flavors.
Love all the beat switches. The layering. The different tempos. The moods. The little things to keep it interesting. Never gets dull or stale.

Gives Nas a versatile and diverse soundscape. An audiobook that allows author Nas to really shine, showcasing some of my favorite versions of Nas: street Nas, conscious Nas, nostalgic Nas, braggadocious Nas, wise Nas, caring Nas, creative Nas, funny Nas. Man, you can tell Nas feels comfortable and confident with all the different flows and topics he’s exploring. Just seems like he’s having fun.

Salute to Hit-Boy. I’ve enjoyed his production across all of these albums. I honestly couldn’t say he was really on my radar before KD1. I had absolutely heard some of his songs but I hadn’t really connected with him on that level where I knew who he was and was taking notice of what he was doing. Son is dope. He been giving Nas heat.

I think what I appreciate most about him is that you can tell he cares and is committed to tailoring shyt for Nas and for putting Nas in a position to do what Nas does best and I think that allows Nas to stretch and flex over different sounds and energy. Nas has sounded inspired and invigorated throughout all of this and I think the production from Hit-Boy is a big reason. They’re chemistry has been on display and growing with each project. Building on each others’ legacies, these brothers have been amazing. In KD3, for Hit-Boy to go dolo on all the beats and for Nas to go dolo on all the raps—incredible shyt. Honestly, I’m in awe. Clap for them. :clap:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He

Kendrick deserves that Grammy. There's a vocal group that doesn't appreciate the album but it's a transformative work.

The Coli is just weird in general when it comes to Kendrick Lamar.
I love "our" music and the culture that spawned it, so albums like To Pimp A Butterfly hold a special place in
my heart. I also study music theory, play multiple instruments, been a rapper for damn near two decades etc.

I also like progressive musical ideas that push genres into new realms, Mr. Morale does all kinds of crazy shyt
with bridges, transitions, orchestration etc. Kendrick Lamar has a distinct musical and lyrical voice that takes
a proverbial dump on most cats underground OR mainstream. If anything I think he should be championed
for pushing our art as hard as possible.

:yeshrug: I extend this same kind of love and analysis to many people within Hip-Hop but for whatever reason
I always get called out when I say Kendrick is legit a modern great.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The Coli is just weird in general when it comes to Kendrick Lamar.
I love "our" music and the culture that spawned it, so albums like To Pimp A Butterfly hold a special place in
my heart. I also study music theory, play multiple instruments, been a rapper for damn near two decades etc.

I also like progressive musical ideas that push ideas into new realms, Mr. Morale does all kinds of crazy shyt
with bridges, transitions, orchestration etc. Kendrick Lamar has a distinct musical and lyrical voice that takes
a proverbial dump on most cats underground OR mainstream. If anything I think he should be championed
for pushing our art as hard as possible.

:yeshrug: I extend this same kind of love and analysis to many people within Hip-Hop but for whatever reason
I always get called out when I say Kendrick is legit a modern great.

There's a lot of amazing instrumentation on that album. While his peers focus on finding the next hot producer, the album is another example of him finding top tier musicians to help bring his vision to life. This time, Duval Timothy, who does much of the piano work throughout the album. All that being said, the album almost certainly will not be in my (rap) top ten this year. And I don't think Kendrick matched the prowess of his collaborators this time.

Will the album win a bunch of Grammys, including the rap album one? Of course. It's an interesting album with some fascinating stuff on it, I just think he needed someone in the studio to tell him a looot of his shyt wasn't wavy on the album. In my opinion it has his worst rapping and lyrics, out of all his projects overall. Certainly there are some standout tracks on there where he knocks it out the park in those regards (Father Time, Mother I Sober for instance).

There are multiple parts of the Jid album that make me miss when Kendrick used to rap/perform like that. Kinda depressing. Still a huge fan/stan and looking forward to his next album though.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all over hyping this is great but it ain’t better than 1 and 2 in my eyes.

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother

I just put it up, but there's already someone who has the full footage of the speech but the watermark and the clouty title is annoying...I can't seem to find the original footage without the watermark tho; otherwise, I would have merged it into the compilation

for KD2, i saw this footage like the rest of you and that was pretty much it...not sure if there was a listening party for magic either

Last edited: