Nas - I Am... (Original Version, 29 Tracks)

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Nas XXL article from 1999 around release of I am.

Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL

…The Autobiography was originally conceived as a two-CD set, a double dose of Nas for 1999. “I feel like you could waste songs with a double-album,” says Nas. Instead, disc two is scheduled for a late summer release. “I don’t wanna overdo it right now. I’m not sure, when I was 16, if I was able to buy a double-album and also buy whoever else my favorite artist was at the time.”

An overpriced double-CD of tracks including contributions of pilfered-loop cuts by the Track Masters would seem right up Nas Escobar’s alley. Escobar is not the Devil—don’t get it twisted—but after being commercially jerked over Illmatic, Nas has been much more amenable to play the game, so to speak. Fans who discovered Nasty Nas in 1991 didn’t expect future rhymes with Mary J. Blige, pop-targeted singles like “If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)” or the fukk-enlightenment metaphors of “Money Is My bytch.”

But that’s the conundrum of the underground. Because if Nas has sold out in any way, shape or form, at least the Firm will never suffer the anonymity of Main Source five years from now. “Mary J. Blige, to be on her single is a honor for me,” Nas reasons. “I don’t see the problem with that at all. Unfortunately, a lot of people did like my second album more than my first album, but a lot of them aren’t from the streets. I think those ones that liked Illmatic, they looked for the same on my next album. I couldn’t make the same album. I hate when a rapper rhymes with the same style, the same story. It shows me that he gon’ be gone tomorrow, basically. The ones that are from the streets respect It Was Written as a maturity level, as growth.”

Nas has reached the point where an MC like Canibus (the first since Nas to receive Rakim comparisons until his Can-I-Bus debut became a bust) can begin to consider him old school. And yet, lyrical connoisseurs who ingest rap stanzas like fine cuisine place Nas with Jay-Z and the late Notorious B.I.G. as top choice. This sort of thing puts Nas in an interesting position, when shameless shams like the Firm’s “Firm Biz” and “Hardcore” (which fully jack Teena Marie’s “Square Biz” and Cheryl Lynn’s “Encore”) can be blown out your mentals, gone and forgiven, with a taste of something like I Am…’s “Blaze a Fifty.”

Read More: Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL | Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
:ohhh: I never seen that interview, good looks! Interviews like this around that time are seemingly full of info.

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
According to a post in the comment section on http://thedjcoopblogs.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-am-autobiography.html, the following is the December 98 leak of I Am, which seems right to me:

01. Fetus (Belly Button Window) (later on The Lost Tapes)
02. Small World (later on I Am...)
03. Money Is My bytch (later on I Am...)
04. Project Window (later on Nastradamus)
05. Poppa Was A Player (later on The Lost Tapes)
06. Dr. Knockboots (Do's And Don't) (later on I Am...)
07. Day Dreamin' Stay Schemin
08. Sometimes I Wonder
09. HardestThingToDoIsStayAlive
10. Drunk By Myself (later on The Lost Tapes)
11. Wanna Play (later on Dame Grease's "Live On Lenox" The Album)
12. Blaze A 50 (later on The Lost Tapes)
13. We Will Survive (later on I Am...)

This backs up that Ghetto Prisoners and the DMX and Scarface joints might've been recorded after the leak, as well as the Primo joints? That might've been Columbia telling him "you need some dope guest appearances" like a late 90's checklist. Same with the Aaliyah/Timbo joint, but it's also possible that not every song he recorded leaked.

I'm really not sure about Rise & Fall. Some websites, like hiphopdx, say it was for I Am...: Nas Is Like: 9 Lesser Known Cuts From Nas' Illustrious Catalog I've read on some message boards that it was floating around on mixtapes before I Am..., similar to Find Ya Wealth. I'm pretty positive U Gotta Love It was popping up on mixtapes in 2000 too, but with his voice sped up.

One thing is for sure. He recorded a LOT of music in this era. Rare stuff like Triple Threat, Cookout and The Curse (which popped on this I Am sampler) Nas, Nature (4) - Excerpts From The Forthcoming Columbia Release I Am... / Excerpts From The Forthcoming Columbia Release For All Seasons

And nice catch on Some of Us Have Angels. Come Get Me also has the "I wild on haters in album three, next level, I take y'all nikkas to 3-D" line. Meaning maybe it was an I Am... holdover? I can't tell if he's talking in past or present tense there, lol. Still, I'm going off the Nastradamus Wikipedia page:

"In 1998, Nas started recording his third album under the title I Am… with intentions to be a double-disc album. Due to bootleg, he cut out some songs and released it as a single disc in 1999. Months later, Columbia Records decided to release the left out material as a follow up album, however Nas decided to record all new material under the title Nastradamus."
yep thats the tracklist of "I am" bootleg late 98. "gotta love it" and "amongst Kings" were leaked around that time too.

"Life what you make it", "fovor for favor" and "you won't see me tonight" were recorded in the last minute before the release of the retail album. Most of them were unplanned if not forced. for instance, Nas run into Dmx in the studio while he was recording by accident, so they decided to do a song together. which explain why the song was underwhelming.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nas XXL article from 1999 around release of I am.

Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL

…The Autobiography was originally conceived as a two-CD set, a double dose of Nas for 1999. “I feel like you could waste songs with a double-album,” says Nas. Instead, disc two is scheduled for a late summer release. “I don’t wanna overdo it right now. I’m not sure, when I was 16, if I was able to buy a double-album and also buy whoever else my favorite artist was at the time.”

An overpriced double-CD of tracks including contributions of pilfered-loop cuts by the Track Masters would seem right up Nas Escobar’s alley. Escobar is not the Devil—don’t get it twisted—but after being commercially jerked over Illmatic, Nas has been much more amenable to play the game, so to speak. Fans who discovered Nasty Nas in 1991 didn’t expect future rhymes with Mary J. Blige, pop-targeted singles like “If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)” or the fukk-enlightenment metaphors of “Money Is My bytch.”

But that’s the conundrum of the underground. Because if Nas has sold out in any way, shape or form, at least the Firm will never suffer the anonymity of Main Source five years from now. “Mary J. Blige, to be on her single is a honor for me,” Nas reasons. “I don’t see the problem with that at all. Unfortunately, a lot of people did like my second album more than my first album, but a lot of them aren’t from the streets. I think those ones that liked Illmatic, they looked for the same on my next album. I couldn’t make the same album. I hate when a rapper rhymes with the same style, the same story. It shows me that he gon’ be gone tomorrow, basically. The ones that are from the streets respect It Was Written as a maturity level, as growth.”

Nas has reached the point where an MC like Canibus (the first since Nas to receive Rakim comparisons until his Can-I-Bus debut became a bust) can begin to consider him old school. And yet, lyrical connoisseurs who ingest rap stanzas like fine cuisine place Nas with Jay-Z and the late Notorious B.I.G. as top choice. This sort of thing puts Nas in an interesting position, when shameless shams like the Firm’s “Firm Biz” and “Hardcore” (which fully jack Teena Marie’s “Square Biz” and Cheryl Lynn’s “Encore”) can be blown out your mentals, gone and forgiven, with a taste of something like I Am…’s “Blaze a Fifty.”

Read More: Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL | Nas, “The Biography” (Originally Published February 1999) - XXL

He had a song called Kids All Have Fun:ohhh:

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
yep thats the tracklist of "I am" bootleg late 98. "gotta love it" and "amongst Kings" were leaked around that time too.

"Life what you make it", "fovor for favor" and "you won't see me tonight" were recorded in the last minute before the release of the retail album. Most of them were unplanned if not forced. for instance, Nas run into Dmx in the studio while he was recording by accident, so they decided to do a song together. which explain why the song was underwhelming.
Yeah I hear U Gotta love it leaking around that time a lot. I wonder if it was for I Am or the second disc (which I personally believe formed to be Death of Escobar)

And that explains a lot about about life is what you make it. Thanks for the knowledge on those songs.

Asicz

Daps
XXL_Magazine_Nas.jpg

April.1999 XXL
I am trying to find the cover story of this issue.

My fav. Nas cover.

Asicz

Daps
Vibe Feb. 2001 D.O.E Death of Escobar review

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
And nice catch on Some of Us Have Angels. Come Get Me also has the "I wild on haters in album three, next level, I take y'all nikkas to 3-D" line. Meaning maybe it was an I Am... holdover? I can't tell if he's talking in past or present tense there, lol. Still, I'm going off the Nastradamus Wikipedia page:

"In 1998, Nas started recording his third album under the title I Am… with intentions to be a double-disc album. Due to bootleg, he cut out some songs and released it as a single disc in 1999. Months later, Columbia Records decided to release the left out material as a follow up album, however Nas decided to record all new material under the title Nastradamus."
Thanks and I think it was past tense / reference to Hate Me Now on I Am. And the failed 3D attempt for the Nastradamus video existed so I'm inclined to say it's in reference to that.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
^ Makes sense. Speaking of Premier, is that intro beat on I Am that Jungle rambles over definitely him? It doesn't really sound like a Primo beat to me, even though that shyt is a banger. Really wish Nas spit over that.

I love Life Is What You Make It, although X's verse doesn't really fit that well with the theme of the song. The beat, hook and Nas' verses get me hype as fukk...even with the dated Monica Lewinski reference, lol.