Nas Fans Unite...Almost 20 Years After The Fact It’s Probably Ok Now To Admit...

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Nikka with the hoofs
:dead:

Trot.gif.0500e97173c681d5bc25c7556e679e80.gif

Oville

Pro
Daps
Exactly what was Nas bread & butter in 00-01 (Pre Stillmatic) in your humble estimation?

Missy can’t be short changed. The mid-late 90s were peak times in terms of label cash flow. A hot single landed you MTV BET rotation when all they fukking did was play videos. A hot single pushed albums & single sales. Missy was on top of her game

He was seen as what he is today. A respected lyricist with platinum albums and nsme recognition. He had critics who were getting at him about going commercial and not living up to illmatic. That's not the same as being irrelevant.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
In retrospect I dont know if he was in that much trouble back then as we think (he was still a plat artist and in demand and some fukking how he had one of his biggest hits in Oochie Wally ) and clearly people gave some shyt about him for that beef to get the attention it did . Worked out well in the end and I miss the simplicity of those days:mjcry:

I just remember before the Jay diss, there was still talk about Nas coming back cause he announced Lost Tapes (then known as Death of Escobar and Nastalgic) and that got people talking and watching and he was sort of rapping with a bit more purpose in 00-01 (Let My nikkas Live off Wu Tang, Bridge 2001, Eye for a Eye freestyle, Show Discipline)

Jay diss or not something was coming

Daps
In retrospect I dont know if he was in that much trouble back then as we think (he was still a plat artist and in demand and some fukking how he had one of his biggest hits in Oochie Wally ) and clearly people gave some shyt about him for that beef to get the attention it did . Worked out well in the end and I miss the simplicity of those days:mjcry:

I just remember before the Jay diss, there was still talk about Nas coming back cause he announced Lost Tapes (then known as Death of Escobar and Nastalgic) and that got people talking and watching and he was sort of rapping with a bit more purpose in 00-01 (Let My nikkas Live off Wu Tang, Bridge 2001, Eye for a Eye freestyle, Show Discipline)

Jay diss or not something was coming

You’re terribly wrong. There’s a case to be made that Nas wasn’t even top 5 in NYC at the time as far as relevance

X
Hov
Ja
Kiss

Nas was in the worst kind of trouble...seemed like people were forgetting about him. Why do you think Takeover resonated with people like that? Jay found a way to convey the thoughts of plenty of fans. Nas has lost his way

Ask anyone who mattered back then...Nas was in the fight of his life.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nope and that’s real talk:jawalrus:

Even though I am Nastradamus he showed he still had it in him if anything we should thank Jay for waking Nas up out of that dream

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re terribly wrong. There’s a case to be made that Nas wasn’t even top 5 in NYC at the time as far as relevance

X
Hov
Ja
Kiss

Nas was in the worst kind of trouble...seemed like people were forgetting about him. Why do you think Takeover resonated with people like that? Jay found a way to convey the thoughts of plenty of fans. Nas has lost his way

Ask anyone who mattered back then...Nas was in the fight of his life.

At the same time, Nas mattered enough to warrant a verse on "Takeover". Jay and Kiss were going at each other, but it was Nas who Jay baited and unleashed the "Takeover" verse for.

Honestly, none of those guys were more relevant than Nas in that sense. Nas was the only rapper who had commercial success AND was revered enough lyrically (even by Jay Z) who was a true threat.

In 2001, X was still huge but nowhere near '98-'00 X. He wasn't revered as Nas lyrically. Ja was commercially successful and that's where it stops. Kiss wasn't on their level in either respect.

Daps
At the same time, Nas mattered enough to warrant a verse on "Takeover". Jay and Kiss were going at each other, but it was Nas who Jay baited and unleashed the "Takeover" verse for.

Honestly, none of those guys were more relevant than Nas in that sense. Nas was the only rapper who had commercial success AND was revered enough lyrically (even by Jay Z) who was a true threat.

In 2001, X was still huge but nowhere near '98-'00 X. He wasn't revered as Nas lyrically. Ja was commercially successful and that's where it stops. Kiss wasn't on their level in either respect.

With that rationale Prodigy mattered just as much as Nas :mjlol:

I guess Meeno & Jayo Felony mattered just as much in rap at that time since Jay got at them too :russ:

I’m beginning to think you wasn’t around back then...I know for a fact you couldn’t have been in NYC at the time. We can’t talk about this anymore :francis:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
honestly as a huge Nas fan back then starting from Illmatic...I thought he was clearly done for. He went completely pop after IWW and fell off...he as going downhill fast around 2000....he put out a few bangers (QBs finest, and "The general" "Stillmatic" the song not the album) but they were nothing compared to the illmatic/IWW era of Nas...and when I first heard the Takeover I seriously thought it was the end of him if he didn't respond ...AND i thought he was done for after THun n Kicko...he was getting manhandled in public and taking an ass whoopin from them QB nikkas in his own back yard

but he ressurrected with the GOAT come back that I ever saw....I don't think people who weren't there at the time fully understand how epic Ether and Detstroy & Rebuild are :wow:

Sinister

Banned
Daps
honestly as a huge Nas fan back then starting from Illmatic...I thought he was clearly done for. He went completely pop after IWW and fell off...he as going downhill fast around 2000....he put out a few bangers (QBs finest, and "The general" "Stillmatic" the song not the album) but they were nothing compared to the illmatic/IWW era of Nas...and when I first heard the Takeover I seriously thought it was the end of him if he didn't respond ...AND i thought he was done for after THun n Kicko...he was getting manhandled in public and taking an ass whoopin from them QB nikkas in his own back yard

but he ressurrected with the GOAT come back that I ever saw....I don't think people who weren't there at the time fully understand how epic Ether and Detstroy & Rebuild are :wow:
I feel most people who listen to destroy and rebuild don't listen to Nature and Cormega. They don't know how hard their responses were.

People were high of of stillmatic hype.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I feel most people who listen to destroy and rebuild don't listen to Nature and Cormega. They don't know how hard their responses were.

People were high of of stillmatic hype.
Yeah I'd agree....but just about everyone who listens to nature, cormega, and mobb do listen to Nas. I mean for some of us hearing the song "fuk Nas" Thun n Kicko and "Poetry" could better understand the depth of the response from D&R.

I'm a huge Mega fan and imo Nas never really had a response for it...but I feel like he did enough to keep it on the back burner with D&R

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
As soon as I heard these bars, I know it was all good—bolded the quotables :jawalrus:

Ma, I'm sorry who the fukk I am, I can't trust my fans
Out of luck, no constructive plans
My friends stay powdered up, I'm so drunk, can't stand
You said if I would sober up, I'd be a powerful man
Turned out the street life, you prayed I wouldn't
But every church in the world can't save our children
I stayed out late, you heard shots, thought it would be
Your oldest son on the ground dead, but fortunately
Them bullets had some other names on it, the brother was blind
I hit the L, then, we yell out, "It wasn't my time!"
I loaded up shells, one by one
You smelled blunts from my room door, little Nasir was at war
And little did I care what you saw
Crew deep with a few heat, now it's time we settle the score
But in the projects, I vision Muhammad, in linen garments
Preaching man, woman, and child, the living Prophet
And I'm similar, Nasir Bin Olu Dara Visqu Allah
Fist full of dollars in the dice game, God
The Ice King, God, the Black Christ, elegant stance
Clothes fit me like a crime boss, the medicine man
I see the world collapsing, young pregnancies
Young girls are unfastening their Sasoon jeans, no prophylactic
All this fast shyt and fly jewelry, now makes my eyes teary
N.Y. City, grab a hold and ride with me
Rip the Freeway, shoot through Memphis with MoneyBags
Stop in Philly, order cheese steaks and eat Beans fast
And bring it back up top, remove the fake king of New York
You show off, I count dough off when you sample my voice
I rule you, before, you used to rap like the Fu-Schnickens
Nas designed your Blueprint, who you kidding?
Is he H to the izz-O, M to the izz-O?
For shizzle you phony, the rapping version of Sisqo
And that's for certain, you clone me, your wack clothes line
I'd rather Sean John, you bore me with your fake coke rhymes
And those times, they never took place, you liar
Un was your first court case, you had no priors
You master fabricated stories of streets and sound slick
Have you surrounded, you and the fakkits you down with
While they riding Nas, trying to boost their careers
Corny as Cormega, all you Hip-Hop queers
Since Illmatic, It Was Written, I Am Nastradamus
That's the answers to the puzzle I gave you, now here's a promise
My next few albums, instead of projects
They'll be a difficult test inside the cover for the mind's optics
Come in my hood, but bring the guns with you, it's dark
Headed through Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Staten, and Bronx
Headed through Compton, Oaktown, South Central, and Watts
New Orleans, Mississippi, Chi-town, every block
I'm trying to have my positive ways, I put my rhymes on page
Did crimes and headline on stage
I signed a contract, so here it is, you have it
Street's Disciple, I'm Stillmatic

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
He went completely pop after IWW and fell off...he as going downhill fast around 2000....he put out a few bangers (QBs finest, and "The general" "Stillmatic" the song not the album) but they were nothing compared to the illmatic/IWW era of Nas...

So wait Nas Is Like, Hate Me Now, Small World, NY State of Mind Pt II, Life We Chose, Come Get Me, Family, Life Is What You Make It, Favor For a Favor, Family, Shoot Em Up, etc. arent bangers but The General is? I dunno man, Id take the Aaliyah collab, Nastradamus and You Owe Me over that wack ass Swizz beat any day of the week

Sinister

Banned
Daps
So wait Nas Is Like, Hate Me Now, Small World, NY State of Mind Pt II, Life We Chose, Come Get Me, Family, Life Is What You Make It, Favor For a Favor, Family, Shoot Em Up, etc. arent bangers but The General is? I dunno man, Id take the Aaliyah collab, Nastradamus and You Owe Me over that wack ass Swizz beat any day of the week
The general was fire to me