NAPOLEON - Discussion Thread (Directed by Ridley Scott, Staring Joaquin Phoenix)

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Ridley Scott is a good technical director, very rarely do any of his movies or characters in them make you feel anything
Come on now... man has classic movies with classic characters. He had a shyt run after The Martian but you cant take nothing away from him

Hes just old. I just hope he retires before he drops a "Cry Macho"

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This was one of the more boring, unbearable theater experiences this year, and that's my 30th movie in theaters.

The movie kind of came alive in the battle scenes, in the scenes that looked like 90's throwbacks with some digital enhancements. The scenes on the war ships. The Toulon battle was sick. The Egypt moment. The Russia battle. Waterloo. All felt like Scott in his element, having fun, throwback to The Patriot, Braveheart, The Last of the Mohicans and his own Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, The Last Duel. Unfortunately, those are all much better movies.

Phonenix's performance was interesting, in a sense, but the script I thought was soggy and flat. The movie was wildly uneven. The battle scenes were like a reprieve from the tedium of his domestic life. Every time I heard the "Dear Josephine" part I was like fukk, here we go again. Kirby wasn't bad, but with scenes like that, how could she do well? The movie isn't sexy enough for all the sexuality. The movie isn't violence enough for all the death. The fertility part was horrible. Why would anyone think to write the script, centering the movie around their domestic issues?

I had more fun drinking my coke and eating popcorn that I did watching this, and it's very very technically accomplished, even well acted. It's badly put together, I am skeptical that I would enjoy a 4 hour cut, because so much of the movie at 160 minutes was borderline unwatchable.

A 100 min movie that showed just one battle, and his exile, would have been pretty dope. But, this movie didn't evoke much from me, and took way too long and way too much of my time.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Come on now... man has classic movies with classic characters. He had a shyt run after The Martian but you cant take nothing away from him

Hes just old. I just hope he retires before he drops a "Cry Macho"
Obviously he has some good films but most are just technically good but soulless and lacking in gravitas. For example Napoleon looks amazing but apparently shyte

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Obviously he has some good films but most are just technically good but soulless and lacking in gravitas. For example Napoleon looks amazing but apparently shyte
Gladiator is soulless? Thelma and Louise is soulless? Black hawk down is soulless?
Maximusm, Comodus, Ripley, Frank Lucas, Deckard, Batty,
Even The Last Duel had some amazing performances, far from soulless

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Gladiator is soulless? Thelma and Louise is soulless? Black hawk down is soulless?
Maximusm, Comodus, Ripley, Frank Lucas, Deckard, Batty,
Even The Last Duel had some amazing performances, far from soulless
Breh i didn't say all his movies are soulless but most are. Even then do you feel the same for Frank Lucas and Deckard as you do for similar characters like Scarface and Han Solo. In most of his movies you don't love the characters the way you do Ripley and Maximus.

To give a comparison, we are drawn to Scorsese's characters in every film in a way that Scotts characters arent as captivating.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Its okay. If you're a fan of Phoenix you'll enjoy what he does with the role, but hes really the main thing the film has going for it. The direction feels uninspired, I get the impression that Ridley is just banging these shyts out at this point.

It made me think how much better Kubrick's take on the life of Napoleon would have been if he could have finished it. And then I thought that Barry Lyndon had a lot of similar elements and is dope so whatever.

Maybe the 4 hour cut thats coming next year will improve it. It definitely feels like a puzzle with some of the pieces missing or in the wrong place. I couldn't see what the vision for the film was, it was all over the place.