NAPOLEON - Discussion Thread (Directed by Ridley Scott, Staring Joaquin Phoenix)

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It seems like folks are saying this was played to be intentionally funny and it's getting lost of most of the audience.
There were obvious comedic moments and over the top dialogue, but it was supposed to be a historical epic. You can tell by how much went into the battle scenes they wanted it to be taken serious.

The story just wasn’t fleshed out enough. There was no insight into his strategies, how he ruled the country, etc. It jumped around way too much regardless of the tone they were going for.

capblk

Rookie
Daps
Film was beautifully shot. I will check out the extended version. Did not expect to laugh as much as I did. Like someone already mentioned, this would have made a great series. As a movie it felt rushed in a lot of parts.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not bad. thought it was better than the other 2 i saw recently, flower moon and oppenheimer

anyone else get reminded of arnold rothstein from boardwalk? :dead:

Jards

All Star
Daps
not bad. thought it was better than the other 2 i saw recently, flower moon and oppenheimer
No way lol - Flower Moon and Oppenheimer shyt all over this. This shyt was basically a comedy

Ridley got two of my favourite movies of all time in Alien and Blade Runner but he may need to hang it up at this point. I’m really baffled as to why he’s so intent into leaning into comedic tone lately when the project doesn’t call for it - House of Gucci was moving along fine until Jared Leto nearly fukked up the whole movie. Joaquin’s take on Napoleon was borderline slapstick comedy. Also agree with @Squirrel from Meteor Man that they didn’t lean into the strategic element enough - there was a scene in the first half of the movie where they were saying he was the most feared battle commander in the world but at that point they had only showed us him going to war with the English on his turf. Obviously they didn’t include going back on the abolishment of slavery in the French Carribean. I think Ridley’s lost it at this point although I did enjoy Last Duel.

Last edited:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
No way lol - Flower Moon and Oppenheimer shyt all over this. This shyt was basically a comedy

Ridley got two of my favourite movies of all time in Alien and Blade Runner but he may need to hang it up at this point. I’m really baffled as to why he’s so intent into leaning into comedic tone lately when the project doesn’t call for it - House of Gucci was moving along fine until Jared Leto nearly fukked up the whole movie. Joaquin’s take on Napoleon was borderline slapstick comedy. Also agree with @Squirrel from Meteor Man that they didn’t lean into the strategic element enough - there was a scene in the first half of the movie where they were saying he was the most feared battle commander in the world but at that point they had only showed us him going to war with the English on his turf. Obviously they didn’t include going back on the abolishment of slavery in the French Carribean. I think Ridley’s lost it at this point although I did enjoy Last Duel.
Damn, he better not fumble Gladiator 2 😔

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Was tempted but I'll wait for the director's cut. Whenever I hear about production or studio issues with Ridley Scott movies I give him the benefit of the doubt. The theatrical version of Kingdom Of Heaven is bad, but the director's cut is one of the best films I've ever seen.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Ridley Scott is a good technical director, very rarely do any of his movies or characters in them make you feel anything

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
That time squad episode where they had napoleon sneaking out ant night to conquer was better than this
This man wants to make Gladiator 2 :stopitslime:
He should stop, he had a great run. Amazing director but its over. Hasnt had a hit since the Martian