NABJ Presidential Candidates Forum 2019 /* Trump to field questions at NABJ 2024

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Alexi Mccammond.
She's the replacement for Joy Ann Reid. You could call her a seat filler.
you be the judge

Alexi-McCammond-Riding-Bicycle-819x1024.jpg

------
and no stone goes unturned on the coli

Alexi-McCammond-boyfriend-Rob-Groulx%201.JPG

Teen Vogue Editor Resigns After Fury Over Racist Tweets

18TeenVogue-01sub-articleLarge.jpg

• March 18, 2021,
Alexi McCammond, who made her name as a politics reporter at the Washington news site Axios, had planned to start as the editor in chief of Teen Vogue on March 24. Now, after Teen Vogue staff members publicly condemned racist and homophobic tweets Ms. McCammond had posted a decade ago, she has resigned from the job.

Condé Nast, Teen Vogue’s publisher, announced the abrupt turn on Thursday in an internal email that was sent amid pressure from the publication’s staff, readers and at least two advertisers, just two weeks after the company had appointed her to the position.

“After speaking with Alexi this morning, we agreed that it was best to part ways, so as to not overshadow the important work happening at Teen Vogue,” Stan Duncan, the chief people officer at Condé Nast, said in the email, which was obtained by The New York Times.

In a statement included in the email, Ms. McCammond said her “past tweets have overshadowed the work I’ve done to highlight the people and issues that I care about.”

“I wish the talented team at Teen Vogue the absolute best moving forward,” she said.

Ms. McCammond, 27, established herself as a prominent political reporter last year. She covered President Biden’s campaign for Axios and was a contributor to MSNBC and NBC. In 2019, she was named the emerging journalist of the year by the National Association of Black Journalists. She would have been the third Black woman to serve as Teen Vogue’s top editor, after Lindsay Peoples Wagner and Elaine Welteroth.

Her job status became shaky days after Condé Nast named her to the position, when the offensive tweets she had posted as a teenager in 2011 resurfaced. They included comments on the appearance of Asian features, derogatory stereotypes about Asians and slurs for gay people. Ms. McCammond had apologized for the tweets in 2019 and deleted them. Screenshots of the tweets were recirculated on social media after her hiring at Teen Vogue was announced on March 5.
Within days, more than 20 staff members at Teen Vogue posted a note on social media saying they had made a complaint to company leaders about the tweets, and Ms. McCammond apologized for them again both publicly and in meetings with Condé Nast staff. “I’ve apologized for my past racist and homophobic tweets and will reiterate that there’s no excuse for perpetuating those awful stereotypes in any way,” she wrote in a March 10 letter posted on her Twitter account. “I am so sorry to have used such hurtful and inexcusable language.”

As the criticism of her hiring mounted, Ulta Beauty and Burt’s Bees, major advertisers with Teen Vogue, suspended their campaigns with the publication.

The scrutiny of her tweets has come at a time of heightened concern about violence and harassment directed against Asian-Americans. On Wednesday, after eight people were killed in shootings in Atlanta, including six Asian women, Condé Nast’s chief executive, Roger Lynch, sent a memo to the company’s staff that said that one in 10 of its employees identified as Asian.

“Our teams, our families and our friends have all been affected by the rise in hate crimes toward Asian people and it’s unacceptable,” Mr. Lynch wrote in the memo, which was reviewed by The Times.

invalid

Banned
Daps

• March 18, 2021,
Alexi McCammond, who made her name as a politics reporter at the Washington news site Axios, had planned to start as the editor in chief of Teen Vogue on March 24. Now, after Teen Vogue staff members publicly condemned racist and homophobic tweets Ms. McCammond had posted a decade ago, she has resigned from the job.

Condé Nast, Teen Vogue’s publisher, announced the abrupt turn on Thursday in an internal email that was sent amid pressure from the publication’s staff, readers and at least two advertisers, just two weeks after the company had appointed her to the position.

“After speaking with Alexi this morning, we agreed that it was best to part ways, so as to not overshadow the important work happening at Teen Vogue,” Stan Duncan, the chief people officer at Condé Nast, said in the email, which was obtained by The New York Times.

In a statement included in the email, Ms. McCammond said her “past tweets have overshadowed the work I’ve done to highlight the people and issues that I care about.”

“I wish the talented team at Teen Vogue the absolute best moving forward,” she said.

Ms. McCammond, 27, established herself as a prominent political reporter last year. She covered President Biden’s campaign for Axios and was a contributor to MSNBC and NBC. In 2019, she was named the emerging journalist of the year by the National Association of Black Journalists. She would have been the third Black woman to serve as Teen Vogue’s top editor, after Lindsay Peoples Wagner and Elaine Welteroth.

Her job status became shaky days after Condé Nast named her to the position, when the offensive tweets she had posted as a teenager in 2011 resurfaced. They included comments on the appearance of Asian features, derogatory stereotypes about Asians and slurs for gay people. Ms. McCammond had apologized for the tweets in 2019 and deleted them. Screenshots of the tweets were recirculated on social media after her hiring at Teen Vogue was announced on March 5.
Within days, more than 20 staff members at Teen Vogue posted a note on social media saying they had made a complaint to company leaders about the tweets, and Ms. McCammond apologized for them again both publicly and in meetings with Condé Nast staff. “I’ve apologized for my past racist and homophobic tweets and will reiterate that there’s no excuse for perpetuating those awful stereotypes in any way,” she wrote in a March 10 letter posted on her Twitter account. “I am so sorry to have used such hurtful and inexcusable language.”

As the criticism of her hiring mounted, Ulta Beauty and Burt’s Bees, major advertisers with Teen Vogue, suspended their campaigns with the publication.

The scrutiny of her tweets has come at a time of heightened concern about violence and harassment directed against Asian-Americans. On Wednesday, after eight people were killed in shootings in Atlanta, including six Asian women, Condé Nast’s chief executive, Roger Lynch, sent a memo to the company’s staff that said that one in 10 of its employees identified as Asian.

“Our teams, our families and our friends have all been affected by the rise in hate crimes toward Asian people and it’s unacceptable,” Mr. Lynch wrote in the memo, which was reviewed by The Times.

Damn.

People need to know that once they build a public persona, they need to delete all social media profiles made prior and start anew.

She'll bounce back though.

A question though, isn't racism a system?

We need to start checking people with the language they use.

I can see "anti-asian" tweets. Not "racist" tweets, unless I'm wrong.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Damn.

People need to know that once they build a public persona, they need to delete all social media profiles made prior and start anew.

She will definitely bounce back.
In OP it was mentioned that she was filling in for Joy Reid. CTG is also mentioned in this thread, both of them overcame being "outed" for past behavior.

If she has the right backers, she will be back.

I have to go look up what Alexi actually tweeted.

Everybody who envisions a life in media or as a public figure should delete their old tweets every few years, & get a person to manage social media the way fan clubs used to operate.

--_
The lowlife talentless scumbag Sarah Silverman openly used asian slurs in comedy routines and sketches. When she gets officially canceled for good, I'll take the Asian watchdog groups seriously.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

NABJ to Host Former President Trump for a Conversation in Chicago During Annual Convention​

July 30, 2024

Welcomes-Donald-Trump-1.png

CHICAGO –
Former U.S. President Donald J. Trump will participate in a conversation with journalists at the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Annual Convention & Career Fair during its opening day in Chicago on Wednesday, July 31, at noon CST.
Trump will engage in a Q&A with political journalists before an audience of registered convention attendees that will concentrate on the most pressing issues facing the Black community.
The event will be moderated by Rachel Scott, senior congressional correspondent for ABC News; Harris Faulkner, anchor of The Faulkner Focus and co-host of Outnumbered on FOX News; and Kadia Goba, politics reporter at Semafor.
“We look forward to our attendees hearing from former President Trump on the critical issues our members and their audiences care about most,” said NABJ President Ken Lemon. “While NABJ does not endorse political candidates as a journalism organization, we understand the serious work of our members, and welcome the opportunity for them to ask the tough questions that will provide the truthful answers Black Americans want and need to know.”
The event will not be open to the general public; however, it will be live-streamed via NABJ’s YouTube and Facebook pages. Convention attendees must have their badges visible to gain entry. The location of the fireside chat will be shared with attendees via NABJ’s communications platforms. Instructions for entry into the session will be provided.
Fellow presidential candidate Vice President Kamala Harris was also invited to participate in this year’s convention; her confirmation is pending.
Former Presidents George W. Bush Jr., Barack Obama, and Bill Clinton have attended NABJ conventions either as presidents or presidential candidates

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

NABJ to Host Former President Trump for a Conversation in Chicago During Annual Convention​

July 30, 2024

CHICAGO –
Former U.S. President Donald J. Trump will participate in a conversation with journalists at the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Annual Convention & Career Fair during its opening day in Chicago on Wednesday, July 31, at noon CST.
Trump will engage in a Q&A with political journalists before an audience of registered convention attendees that will concentrate on the most pressing issues facing the Black community.
The event will be moderated by Rachel Scott, senior congressional correspondent for ABC News; Harris Faulkner, anchor of The Faulkner Focus and co-host of Outnumbered on FOX News; and Kadia Goba, politics reporter at Semafor.
“We look forward to our attendees hearing from former President Trump on the critical issues our members and their audiences care about most,” said NABJ President Ken Lemon. “While NABJ does not endorse political candidates as a journalism organization, we understand the serious work of our members, and welcome the opportunity for them to ask the tough questions that will provide the truthful answers Black Americans want and need to know.”
The event will not be open to the general public; however, it will be live-streamed via NABJ’s YouTube and Facebook pages. Convention attendees must have their badges visible to gain entry. The location of the fireside chat will be shared with attendees via NABJ’s communications platforms. Instructions for entry into the session will be provided.
Fellow presidential candidate Vice President Kamala Harris was also invited to participate in this year’s convention; her confirmation is pending.
Former Presidents George W. Bush Jr., Barack Obama, and Bill Clinton have attended NABJ conventions either as presidents or presidential candidates
They’ve really pissed people off with this one smh. I’m sad cause I know quite a few people on that board(worked with a couple of them) This is why I say it’s time to get Trump out of here. His name is mud man, people will call you Democrat shills and all that and also get mad if you do things with Trump. shyt is crazy man smh.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
They’ve really pissed people off with this one smh. I’m sad cause I know quite a few people on that board(worked with a couple of them) This is why I say it’s time to get Trump out of here. His name is mud man, people will call you Democrat shills and all that and also get mad if you do things with Trump. shyt is crazy man smh.
They're gonna press him, and make him look bad.
The same way Ed Gordon pressed Omarosa a few years back at the convention. Trump panics and stumbles when the interviewer isn't fawning over him, and asks real questions.

As objective journalists, I don't see how they could turn down the Republican nominee, though.

The segment of Black voters who would even consider voting for him, are definitely not people who read serious journalism and reporting. So he's gonna look bad here for nothing.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
They're gonna press him, and make him look bad.
The same way Ed Gordon pressed Omarosa a few years back at the convention. Trump panics and stumbles when the interviewer isn't fawning over him, and asks real questions.

As objective journalists, I don't see how they could turn down the Republican nominee, though.

The segment of Black voters who would even consider voting for him, are definitely not people who read serious journalism and reporting. So he's gonna look bad here for nothing.
You’re right. They’ve had all candidates including Bush Jr. it’s Trump bro. They got to get him out of here! I mean he should be there but inviting him could be a major blow to nabj. Like he be clowning black journalists and stuff. Folks aren’t going to take that lightly. You know it’s bad when Jacque Reid is in the comments mad. Hopefully they do go go tough on him. We will see

AceMan

Superstar
Daps

• March 18, 2021,

Damn.

She will definitely bounce back.
In OP it was mentioned that she was filling in for Joy Reid. CTG is also mentioned in this thread, both of them overcame being "outed" for past behavior.

If she has the right backers, she will be back.

I have to go look up what Alexi actually tweeted.

Everybody who envisions a life in media or as a public figure should delete their old tweets every few years, & get a person to manage social media the way fan clubs used to operate.

--_
The lowlife talentless scumbag Sarah Silverman openly used asian slurs in comedy routines and sketches. When she gets officially canceled for good, I'll take the Asian watchdog groups seriously.
She never bounced back :pachaha:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

I would love to go to this conference just to smash some women :ohlawd:

AceMan

Superstar
Daps

July 30, 2024

CHICAGO –
ce37c7d8b32d3147eb993f455be65b6a.jpg
79774291-0-image-a-67_1704759692541.jpg

Y'all think these women going to hit Trump with "hard-hitting" questions??
:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

NABJ are going to ruin themselves after this.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
She never bounced back :pachaha:

Alexi McCammond​

Washington, D.C.​

National politics, campaigns, and policy

Alexi McCammond is an opinion editor focusing on the 2024 election and special projects. Previously, she was a national political reporter at Axios covering the Democratic Party and elections. She was featured regularly on "Axios on HBO” and is also a contributor for MSNBC

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

It’s definitely not looking good. We will see though. Nabj is a big deal, can’t see people not fukking with it

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

The panelists work for ABCNEWS, FOXNEWS, & SEMAFOR.

If you made judgements based on the leanings of those outlets, it doesn't add up that all 3 would throw softball questions.
Basing judgement based on who their spouses are is funny.