My unbiased "Nasir" album review after like my 20th listen...

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas-Nasir-Album-Cover-feature.jpg

1. Not for radio - Epic feel, feels like shyt played for an Emperor. The Diddy adlibs definitely made it sound even more epic. Nas's verses are solid but nothing groundbreaking, he chose content over flash here which I can appreciate. 4.0

2. Cops shot the kid - Great message, lazy lyrics though, sounds like he wrote it in 2 minutes, Kanye's verse was weak too. The beat overpowers both of their verses, and not in a good way. Best part of the song is Pryor. 3.5

3. White Label - Again, beat/sample almost overpowers his verses but his verses are strong here for the most part, especially compared to the previous 2 songs. Song feels kinda slow but it still knocks. 4.0

4. Bonjour - Refreshing as fukk, feels like the album has finally really started, probably should have been the first song on the album (Bonjour/Hello). The beat and singing is perfect and Nas's verses fit beautifully, and he talking his shyt. Favorite song so far easily. 5.0

5. Everything - Beautiful song, the singing and vibe particularly. Nas's lyrics are excellent here but in some parts his delivery sounds off, like he's rushing the bars when the beat doesn't require that, nothing big but something I noticed. Dope song though, probably would be even better without any rapping, sounds like something that Kanye gave Nas that was supposed to be on his album and just had him lay verses. 4.5

6. Adam and Eve - Kanye did his thing on the boards. Nas did his thing on the mic, both in they bags. I wish the whole album had this vibe, this and "Bonjour", like a traditional hip hop feel. When I first read the title of the song I thought it'd be a completely different record, not just Nas talking his shyt, but still fire. 4.5

7. Simple Things - Probably my least favorite song on the album, sounds lazy. I get it, the "simple" things, so I'm assuming they made it simple on purpose, from the beat to the lyrics, but Nas's verses sound so tired. The first half of the first verse is good but his flow sounds madd off towards the tail end of the verse, and the last verse is probably his worst verse ever, I appreciate he's at least attempting to incorporate a different flow here (which the album lacked) but nahh, lazy. Kanye should have gave this record to Teyana Taylor. 2.5

High points:

- Kanye's production is really good on here for the most part, he definitely did his part, salute to him.
- Nas is still a master at painting those visual pictures with the words unlike anybody else, you can close your eyes and vividly see them dead whites haunting my man's crib, lol. Even the description of the crib was vivid.
- Every song sounds true to Nas, he isn't trying to chase radio or women or the trap fans, etc..

Not so high points:
- 100% too short, album didn't even really gain momentum for me until like the 4th song, and by then the album is more than halfway over
- Nas doesn't sound as crisp with the flow or the delivery anymore, but I've been complaining about this for over a decade now so I guess it just is what it is at this point
- I wish he had more flare. He's never been a metaphor/punch guy but he should showcase some instances of wit here and there, just for the listener's sake. He's the Tim Duncan of this shyt, easily one of the greatest to ever do it (my personal number 1) but aint no monster dunks or crossovers on his highlight reel, especially not in the last 15 or so years

I give it a solid 4 out of 5, really good album, I got it like 5th on the list for my favorite Nas albums.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Gonna revisit it soon but I don't really like it that much off the firs playthrough.

I don't think him and Kante mesh very well and being that some of the subject matter is current, I would say some of the flack it's catching is because it was probably rushed to a degree.

I'm way more interested in hearing the real album Nas has been working on.

GoldenGlove

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The biggest negative for me was how choppy/out of pocket he was on some songs. It' good overall, but it sounded like some verses needed more time to fit them in the songs and have them sound seamless with the production. I'm not sure how Nas is in the studio, but somebody else helping to frame the cadences he was using on some records would have paid off a bit.

Just my 2 cents
:hubie:

I'm saying this as a Nas stan as well

GoldenGlove

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Gonna revisit it soon but I don't really like it that much off the firs playthrough.

I don't think him and Kante mesh very well and being that some of the subject matter is current, I would say some of the flack it's catching is because it was probably rushed to a degree.

I'm way more interested in hearing the real album Nas has been working on.
Kanye isn't the problem on this album. Nas not perfecting the flows is more noticeable than anything else here...

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Kanye isn't the problem on this album. Nas not perfecting the flows is more noticeable than anything else here...

He's not the problem persay but he sure as fukk ain't the solution...

Let this had be Nas usual go-to guys the flows would have been crafted more carefully. Kante was on the clock, cuz he ghei.

tybo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Not for radio - Sounds like theme music. Diddy's ad libs are perfect. Great way to start the album "And who y'all comparing me to is nonsense, show gratitude in the presence of dominance" 4.0

2. Cops shot the kid - LOVE THIS SONG! From the Pryor joint to the Slick Rick Loop. Even Kanye did his thing. Biggest problem is Nas didn't drop a third verse...could have been a perfect single. 4.5

3. White Label - Dope beat and lyrics but the sample was somewhat disruptive over the lyrics 4.0

4. Bonjour - Smooth ass song. Reminds me of the joint he did with Chrisette Michelle. 4.0

5. Everything - PERFECT SONG!! Fukking beautiful! Nuff said. 5.0

6. Adam and Eve - Kanye gave Nas that heat and Nas delivered! 4.5

7. Simple Things - Love the lyrics but the song lacks energy and I hate the hook. 3.0

Definitely worth the wait. I agree it's too short. I would have liked to see that rapid fire, high energy Nas a bit more. Overall: 4.25/5

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The biggest negative for me was how choppy/out of pocket he was on some songs. It' good overall, but it sounded like some verses needed more time to fit them in the songs and have them sound seamless with the production. I'm not sure how Nas is in the studio, but somebody else helping to frame the cadences he was using on some records would have paid off a bit.

Just my 2 cents

I feel the same way. I honestly wonder if Kanye swapped out a beat or two on here and laid the acapella track on top, because Nas is in the pocket a few times and then glaringly gets choppy and then falls back in place. It's strange.I think the slower tempo of some songs as well as some drumless joints threw Nas off maybe? Freddie Gibbs said Madlib's production style took him a long time to adjust to on the Pinata album, and some of the beats on here (like White Label) give me a Madlib vibe.

Honestly I like Still Dreaming and We Major more than anything on this album.

I'm giving it a strong 3.5 or 3.75 mics which people will say is a low score but IMO that's still very solid. I have high standards for Nas and it's just not quite a 4 mic album for me, and I also think the variety of sounds on this lend themselves better to a longer project. With only 7 tracks I think it's best to establish a more cohesive sound and stick with it.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Nas flow is fine to me, the album itself is just a little directionless. Kanye and Nas doesn't work for me.
I think Kanye is simultaneously a very good producer but also an overrated one. I think he's better as a Dr. Dre/Quincy Jones style producer more than as a pure beatmaker. Out of the Rocafella producers he came up with (Bink and Just Blaze) he was the least talented pure beatmaker out of the 3 of them. I still enjoyed a lot of his early and mid 00's beats, although most were really obvious loops with Player's Ball drums, clap snares, and bongos.

I think Kanye's best production work comes from him collaborating with other producers. Kids See Ghosts is a great example, although I thought Daytona was Kanye's best project that he produced himself in a long time.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I said during the listening party how it sounds like these were already existing Nas vocals and how Kanye just built tracks around them, hence why they sound disjointed at times.

The album was still a solid 3.5/5, I rank it just slightly below LIG.
That's very possible. A lot of people liked God's Stepson (9th Wonder's remix album) more than God's Son, and that was done the same way.

There have been cases over the years of rappers rapping to a metronome or click track and then having a beat built around them later. That happened with Memphis Bleek for a few songs on 534, which was one of his better albums.

I don't think that happened with every song here, but if it did happen for 1 or 2 songs I wouldn't be surprised.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Just my 2 cents

Agreed 100%