My Boss Just Got Fired and I got the Position...ALL UNEXPECTED (9/23/15 UPDATE: Got Another Offer)

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
before you do anything further, do some research before you make your next move, mama told me it was better to be safe than sorry...
Yeah, today is not the day though...I was literally updating my resume because my current boss was planning on introducing me to the person I'd be working for/with if I decided to stay where I am lmao its crazy how all of this is going on.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
You making 90 already. Depends on your age but slow down get settled in and get some more industry experience. If you are under 30 I would definitely slow your roll big time.

Master's degrees yield the most profit when the graduate is 35+ (bare minimum, ideally 45+) with about a good 10 years experience under his belt, OR if the degree will help him transition to a new field with minimal drop in salary and serve in lieu of experience for the field he wants to transition to.

Think carefully before rejecting that offer for your current employer to pay for it. Do you really want to go to school full time and take a salary drop just because the program is specifically what you want? Even if you can get assistance etc. think about the time you'll be out and how much wages you'll lose. You can always get the degree part-time and online.

Now know that I am a little biased on this topic. This is because right now I have 2 friends with an MBA (I just have a BA) and I'm making 20k more than both of them largely because employers passed them over as "over-qualified" for roles they would be a good fit in and "under-qualified" for roles that on paper they would certainly meet the criteria for. But perception is everything and you are dealing with individual's incompetence and insecurities regarding that.

Advanced education can be overrated these days as too many people have advanced degrees now with no practical knowledge or skillsets and end up underemployed relative to the academic knowledge they obtained. Being overqualified is very dangerous and can make you very broke. A 50 year old with an PhD will often be perceived as valuable, where as a 25 year old with one will always be questioned and ridiculed. This is just how backwards American culture works. And for us as Black people it's even worse.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Is it a strong program??

Sorry I'm sleep deprived and not making sense. :skip:
Yes it is. I'll elaborate later but I just got out of a meeting discussing this job I don't want and goddamn it sounds even worse. This job offer came in perfect timing :whew:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Just got the Job Description

I like this :krs:

I think my resume can use some additional fine tuning :jbhmm: