MR MCMAHON (Netflix Documentary Series - September 25th)

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't expect a full on burial of McMahon... TKO has washed their hands of Vince for the most part but this is still something that could make them look bad as a whole and I believe The Ringer wants to maintain their relationships with TKO..

What I am expecting is a lot of discussion about how he was a cutthroat businessman and then they will touch on the lawsuits a bit but not to a great extent.

Either way it looks like it'll be well worth the watch.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
If the doc has a 180° turn in the middle of it, I hope it's not just a narrator and Shoemaker doing all the talking :francis:
That guy is one of the worst talking heads I've ever seen. Takes him a million years to get to the most nothing burger of a point.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
That guy is one of the worst talking heads I've ever seen. Takes him a million years to get to the most nothing burger of a point.

Shoemaker is interesting because he was hired off the popularity of his old Deadspin column but he's also in a way claimed to be a wrestling historian so The Ringer will use him in those types of spots and he just isn't that knowledgeable compared to other people he's had on his podcast. They use him like he's the Peter Gammons of pro wrestling and he ain't it..

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
He's not even a good "historian". He got a following because he started doing a weekly obituary piece at Deadspin, which at that time was mainstream enough to give him a big enough platform to then jump to Grantland and establish himself as a serious/important talking head for wrestling.

But truth be told, a lot of brehs here in The Coli know or remember more stuff than Shoemaker and as you said, he has a knack of saying nothing but doing it in a way that sounds like he's saying something worth a damn :dead:. I remember reading at DVDVR or PWO a whole thread of folks shytting on his book because he got shyt wrong or used bullshyt sources because he didn't know any better :russ:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
He's not even a good "historian". He got a following because he started doing a weekly obituary piece at Deadspin, which at that time was mainstream enough to give him a big enough platform to then jump to Grantland and establish himself as a serious/important talking head for wrestling.

But truth be told, a lot of brehs here in The Coli know or remember more stuff than Shoemaker and as you said, he has a knack of saying nothing but doing it in a way that sounds like he's saying something worth a damn :dead:. I remember reading at DVDVR or PWO a whole thread of folks shytting on his book because he got shyt wrong or used bullshyt sources because he didn't know any better :russ:

One of the guys he has on his podcast sometimes and also writes a column at The Ringer.. I think his name is Phil something, fukk.. I used to know his name but regardless, I believe he was an old tape trader back in the 90s..

Anyway, that guy has more knowledge about pro wrestling than a hundred Shoemakers...

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
One of the guys he has on his podcast sometimes and also writes a column at The Ringer.. I think his name is Phil something, fukk.. I used to know his name but regardless, I believe he was an old tape trader back in the 90s..

Anyway, that guy has more knowledge about pro wrestling than a hundred Shoemakers...
Phil Schneider, yeah. He's one of founders of the DVDVR board (and I think the DVDVR reviews that predate the board as well). And for sure, Schneider is one of those dudes that has watched more wrestling than 99% of people on the planet and has forgotten more shyt than most of us even know. At first he can come off as a snob know it all but he's a pretty chill dude.

• Dap
Reactions: 907
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Phil Schneider, yeah. He's one of founders of the DVDVR board (and I think the DVDVR reviews that predate the board as well). And for sure, Schneider is one of those dudes that has watched more wrestling than 99% of people on the planet and has forgotten more shyt than most of us even know. At first he can come off as a snob know it all but he's a pretty chill dude.

That's him. Maybe I haven't heard him speak enough but I didn't get the snob vibe from him. It's obvious that he's partial to the way things were done in the 70's or 80's but that's to be understood, it was a simpler time in wrestling. I also prefer a wrestling style where the story being told in the ring is what keeps the fans engaged as opposed to the amount of spots but I can appreciate the wrestlers who use high spots within the structure of a story...

I remember back in the days of torrenting (People still torrent but you know what I mean) one of my friends was all about the PWG tournaments and I'd sit down and watch them but because it was literally just guy vs. guy, thrown together, spot...spot...spot... I could appreciate the athleticism but it wasn't really my thing.

At least with a guy like Ospreay, he's now to the point where he will still do a lot of spots but is able to tell a compelling story while doing it..... /tangent

TLDR.... They should have had Phil Schneider appear on the McMahon documentary lol

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
That's him. Maybe I haven't heard him speak enough but I didn't get the snob vibe from him. It's obvious that he's partial to the way things were done in the 70's or 80's but that's to be understood, it was a simpler time in wrestling. I also prefer a wrestling style where the story being told in the ring is what keeps the fans engaged as opposed to the amount of spots but I can appreciate the wrestlers who use high spots within the structure of a story...

I remember back in the days of torrenting (People still torrent but you know what I mean) one of my friends was all about the PWG tournaments and I'd sit down and watch them but because it was literally just guy vs. guy, thrown together, spot...spot...spot... I could appreciate the athleticism but it wasn't really my thing.

At least with a guy like Ospreay, he's now to the point where he will still do a lot of spots but is able to tell a compelling story while doing it..... /tangent

TLDR.... They should have had Phil Schneider appear on the McMahon documentary lol
I meant more when you talk to him online, Schneider is great in podcast form.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Did he have his own podcast at one point? Because I feel like I had definitely heard him talk wrestling on podcasts prior to being on The Ringer platform.. I know I had seen him around in archived tape trader circles
Before the Ringer gig, I had only listened to him in DVDVR/PWO related podcasts talking about different projects (best of the 80's compilations, GWE project, etc.). Not sure you listened to him in those because they are niche/neckbeard as fukk :heh:(big reason why I liked Phil in that format because he wasn't a legit mouth breathing neckbeard you couldn't stand) no clue if he had a running podcast alongside those appearances tbh.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Before the Ringer gig, I've only listened to him in DVDVR/PWO related podcasts talking about different projects (best of the 80's compilations, GWE project, etc.). Not sure you listened to him in those because they are niche/neckbeard as fukk :heh: no clue if he had a running podcast alongside those appearances tbh.

I'd have to go back and check because I know I used to listen to some podcasts sometimes about the older days of wrestling 70's/80's shyt.. I like hearing people talk about the territories