Movies in 2023 are as bad, or worse, than they were in the 1980s

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
General consensus is that movie quality probably peaked in the 1970s, cratered in the 1980s, then surged again in the 1990s.

But in 2023, movies today seem absolutely awful. Often promoting an agenda under the guise of inclusion or diversity.
Crappy horror movies. Gay and Trans movies that are clearly pandering for Oscar's attention. Depressing movies about loneliness or bad jobs. I struggle to see how anyone can find enjoyment in any of it. I don't even think it's creative.

If they're not doing this crap, they're milking the Comic Book Superhero stuff for every last penny.

I searched for the best movies of 2023, and the ranked list on Rotten Tomatoes is largely pathetic.
Here's their rankings:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.
I've just been going back to watch under-appreciated movies from the 80s and 90s like Smoke (1995), Miller's Crossing (1990), and Prince of the City (1981). At least back then you had some talented character actors and better subtext and themes in those movies -- even if the execution wasn't always on the mark.

:hubie:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
hmm I guess it depends on what you want but based off your post you would be dissatisfied with the offerings
I think the most "normal" film you'll get is maybe Oppenheimer?
and then Dune 2
I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, but I want to.

I'm on the fence with Dune. There was this tremendous hype over the 1st movie. And when I saw it....I was so underwhelmed by it. Apparently it's a comic book or a novel and I am not familiar with it, so I guess Dune 2 will take things up to another level. I don't know what to expect from it. I thought it LOOKED really great. I guess anytime something is hyped it's going to create some letdown. I'll watch Dune 2 though.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'm not gonna say 2023 has been a great year but 'Oppenheimer', 'Super Mario Bros.' and 'Barbie' were all very different "blockbusters" and all very well done.

Two of them will probably clean up during awards season.

I'm also looking forward to 'Killers Of the Flower Moon' in October, Scorsese back in the game. 'The Creator' might be a surprise hit in September.

On the animation side 'Spider-Man Spiderverse' and 'Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem' were very different from what we've seen in recent years and they were both really done well too.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not gonna say 2023 has been a great year but 'Oppenheimer', 'Super Mario Bros.' and 'Barbie' were all very different "blockbusters" and all very well done.

Two of them will probably clean up during awards season.

I'm also looking forward to 'Killers Of the Flower Moon' in October, Scorsese back in the game. 'The Creator' might be a surprise hit in September.

On the animation side 'Spider-Man Spiderverse' and 'Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem' were very different from what we've seen in recent years and they were both really done well too.
I am looking forward to Killers of the Flower Moon.
I don't know much about The Creator. I can only say that historically it has proved extremely difficult to make a good Sci-Fi movie.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The 80s has more classics than the 2010s and 2020s combined so far.
It's easy for me to agree with this. And you're probably right.
But time has a way of making something a classic, so it's a bit unfair to take a movie from 2020, for example...and say "it's not a classic" -- when in 10 years it could be.

That said, the movies that have been released in the last 5-7 years that I've really, really liked have been few and far between.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This sounds like some nostalgia gatekeeping. Sucks you can’t find enjoyment in them but there have definitely been gems dropping within the past two years. Off the top of my head: Decision to Leave, TÁR, Past Lives, and Infinity Pool have stood out to me. shyt, even Guy Ritchie’s last joint was good and it surprisingly didn’t feel like his usual stuff. Those aren’t comic book adaptations either.

Struggling to see how people can find enjoyment in a film you don’t like sounds more like a you problem than anything else. :ld:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This sounds like some nostalgia gatekeeping. Sucks you can’t find enjoyment in them but there have definitely been gems dropping within the past two years. Off the top of my head: Decision to Leave, TÁR, Past Lives, and Infinity Pool have stood out to me. shyt, even Guy Ritchie’s last joint was good and it surprisingly didn’t feel like his usual stuff. Those aren’t comic book adaptations either.

Struggling to see how people can find enjoyment in a film you don’t like sounds more like a you problem than anything else. :ld:
fetchimage

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
OP has probably seen three movies in the theater this year.

on the real though your RT link immediately gave me 5 movies to add to my queue in just the first 20. seems you don't like indie or foreign films.

Last edited: