‘Monkey Man’ (Starring Dev Patel, Directed by…Dev Patel) | Official Trailer | Universal [4/5]

Tommy Lee Jones

All Star
Daps
I’m hyped for this but also not expecting much. Hasn’t been a movie worth seeing in theaters in a while.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I like how simple, yet fun these revenge flicks are. Thought there were a few things in it keeping it from being great, but still a really good first outing from Dev with a lot of heart poured into it. Kinda wild it was set to be dumped straight to Netflix at one point.

Great representation of the culture that’s weaved into the narration, and to the point where I think simply calling it “Indian John Wick” doesn’t really do the film justice when it offers more than those continuous action sequences. I do think it lulls quite a bit in the middle, but those shots of adrenaline in the third act made it worth it.

I thought the most badass moment for the main character came in the final act, after clearing out waves of henchmen: A fist to fist collision with Rana and Dev still overpowers dude. Love how much of an “oh shyt” moment that was.

There were some gorgeous shots in this. Personally would’ve chilled with the shaky cam, but I was impressed with how much the colors popped off, either in the VIP sections of the club or the streets of India. Wouldn’t have minded spending more time in that setting.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
This was dope. It wore its influences on its sleeve though.

A couple of cinematic shots. Mix of different genres for the soundtrack.

Those of y'all that have some passing familiarity with Indian culture, history, or politics - it goes there a bit.

I wonder if Modi n'nem will ban it...

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
:blessed: Checking this now...

Alright I just got out of the Theater, if I had to say what this movie was in a sense... it would be "Kick-Ass from the Slums, straight up looking to kill his Mother's and Culture Killers". At first I was expect John Wick from the trailers, but come to find out this less of a John Wick film but more of a depressed man who was straight up looking for Death.

There are times where I felt like the film put in Comedic Moments that didn't fit the film; Some of the songs as well didn't fit; The lighting and camera work didn't give the viewer a glimpse of the action at times.

Yet, in way, the story was dumbed down enough for the viewer to easily understand, even though you didn't need to understand the names... and some of the shyt was brutal in the movie.

If this was a old director, this would be a shytty film... but because this is Dev's first film, it's like, "This ain't a bad flick for a first time."

If people are expecting John Wick, they will be disappointed... but if people let the film cook, it works.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
it was fine
I'm thinking there's about a hour or 2 cut from this movie to fit it for theaters.
I want to see the Netflix version of this that's probably the length of RRR.
You can tell there's some scenes missing especially dealing with the relationship with the prostitute and the sidekick.
All the flashbacks were probably the first 30 minutes of the original cut of the film.
Instead we start right in the middle of his plan to kill the chief without any setup.
I also think there's scenes of him in the mask fighting the first few level of goons during the final fight but they reshot them with the mask off.
Overall good first effort for Dev.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
heard of it was OK not great.
I would give it a 7.6/10

The cinematography and music was on point.

I found the action to be really really good in some parts and then terrible with too many cut scenes in others.

The story was a bit convoluted in some parts as well and that's why some points were deducted.

Dev Patel did a solid performance as always and proved he could be a really good John Wick-esque character but in the end of it all, it leaned a little more on the art and symbolism side of things.

I did love the homage to bollywood flicks and I'm glad it didn't go too far off the deep end with the culture of that.

Like someone else said, I thought he was gonna come in kicking ass off rip but it was a sort of build up revenge action flick sorta like a Mashup of 5 deadly venoms/Chinese Super Ninja/Shaw brothers flicks meets YMCA with the hermaphrodites. You'll understand when you watch.

It's rewatchable though.

Last edited:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
it was fine
I'm thinking there's about a hour or 2 cut from this movie to fit it for theaters.
I want to see the Netflix version of this that's probably the length of RRR.
You can tell there's some scenes missing especially dealing with the relationship with the prostitute and the sidekick.
All the flashbacks were probably the first 30 minutes of the original cut of the film.
Instead we start right in the middle of his plan to kill the chief without any setup.
I also think there's scenes of him in the mask fighting the first few level of goons during the final fight but they reshot them with the mask off.
Overall good first effort for Dev.
If this movie was longer, I would've given it a 4/10 and walked outta the theater. That's one of my biggest complaints about RRR and most bollywood action flicks.

They do waaaaay too much and the trailers be the whole movie consolidated in 10 minutes. I dunno how y'all watch it.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
If this movie was longer, I would've given it a 4/10 and walked outta the theater. That's one of my biggest complaints about RRR and most bollywood action flicks.

They do waaaaay too and the trailers be the whole movie consolidated in 10 minutes. I dunno how y'all watch it.

Lol damn you got me double thinking my ticket but I fukk with Dev and want to support

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Dev Patel did a solid performance as always and proved he could be a really good John Wick-esque character but in the end of it all, it leaned a little more on the art and symbolism side of things.

Second this. For the fight scenes, Dev did REALLY well.