Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Official Thread [Mirror's Edge Reboot] PS4|XB1|PC - 6/7/16 Release

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

In Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst Faith Will Get Proper Character Progression; More Details Shared
B8597412.117421735;sz=1x1;ord=234037216

B8597412.117421735;sz=1x1;kw=GZW306HXBGF;ord=1434716963

Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst was finally unveiled at E3, and Producer Sarah Jansson revealed a few more details during a livestream from the show floor, as she talked about how the game won’t be a “reboot,” but a rebirth.
Here are the main points she made:
  • There will be proper character development for Faith. She won’t be the same person at the end that she was at the beginning.
  • The feel of the city will change during the story. Faith will start as a green and inexperienced free runner, then during the story she will adapt to the city’s change and understand that she has to step up and fight.
  • There will be more free roaming than in the first game.
  • The city will open up as you progress through the story. At the beginning only a small area will be accessible, then the borders will progressively expand.
  • DICE wants to make the game more accessible, but still rewarding for skilled players.
  • If you don’t get the perfect timing you’ll still be able to grab on a ledge instead of just falling. If you’re skilled, your running will flow much better and will be faster.
  • In the game you can springboard on any object, whereas in the first Mirror’s Edge you could only on certain objects.
  • The game is not a full-fledged prequel. It won’t lead exactly to the same plot of the first game, but it will lead to Faith being the same person as she was in the first game.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
FIGHT OPPRESSION.
CLAIM YOUR FREEDOM.

Available February 23, 2016 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and on Origin for PC.

FLUID MOVEMENT & COMBAT IN FIRST PERSON
You don't need a gun. Use your environment, your momentum and your physicality to fight oppression.
Read More

RUN FREE IN A BEAUTIFUL, MASSIVE CITY
From the highest skyscrapers to the darkest tunnels, the city of Glass is yours to explore. There are no levels, no loading screens, just the freedom to choose what you want to do.
Read More

EXPERIENCE THE RISE OF FAITH
From a careless young woman, to a heroine who opens the eyes of the city and becomes the catalyst for change. You are Faith, and this is her origin story.
Read More

PRE-ORDER FOR EXCLUSIVE
IN-GAME ITEMS

Pre-Order Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst to get the Combat Runner Kit or the Speed Runner Kit.*
Pre-Order the digital download version of Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst for Origin on PC, PS4 or Xbox One and receive both the Combat Runner Kit and the Speed Runner Kit.

EA MIRROR'S EDGE

• © 2015 EA DIGITAL ILLUSIONS CE AB. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.
© 2015 Electronic Arts Inc.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Mirror's Edge gets easier combat and an open world
Samuel Roberts 9 hours ago
izo3bBel4Z7-.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

I completed Mirror’s Edge four times, so I know the first person parkour-’em-up stupidly well. To me, Catalyst feels almost exactly like the Mirror’s Edge of 2008 in all the right ways. The platforming feels identical minus a couple of button press changes that only super hardcore players will notice, and my same muscle memory and sense of timing served me well during my hands-on at E3. For those worried that Catalyst might lose the very specific essence of the original, this doesn’t feel like a reboot—it feels like a true sequel.

My demo took place in a tiny snippet of what is apparently a seamless open world in Catalyst, a series of rooftops with three tasks to perform: a time attack run (Race), a chain of combat encounters (Delivery) and a challenge to climb to a high point in the world and hack a propaganda billboard (er, Billboard Hack). My main reaction to the demo was delight at how it felt to finally have more Mirror’s Edge in my hands, after seven years of championing the game to any poor b*stard that will listen. There’s been six Call of Duty games since the first one came out—that Catalyst exists in a landscape of absurdly expensive triple-A games is a bit uplifting to me. Even better, what made the original Mirror’s Edge so special is seemingly still intact here.

sc_apVgkKTK7.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

What this 13-minute demo didn’t do was outline how open world play will work, since this area of shiny rooftops was boxed off and honestly felt like it could be a level from the first Mirror’s Edge. This setting will start small then open up, but how big does it really go? The map screen in the menu suggests a huge open city, but the demo doesn’t answer the question of how that’ll feel to the player to travel from one place to another.

Greater changes come in the form of the combat, which was divisive the first time around, but has been overhauled so it’s noticeably easier. While it seemed a little too simple to me on first inspection, it might suit players who found the original’s fighting too challenging or fiddly. Attacks are now mapped to the x button on an Xbox controller, rather than the trigger (this is now just the barge button for opening doors), and as long as you hit the button in close proximity to an enemy, Faith will quickly take them out, sometimes with a pleasing third-person finishing animation.

UVtwaUSC7yLC.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

The demo didn’t really have enough combat to make a call on it either way. Combat presented no immediate threat, and with no guns for faith to pick up, DICE clearly gave this a little more thought than the platforming. What’s obviously different is that you can pretty much fight while still running, whereas Mirror’s Edge sometimes required more of a duelling mentality, where you had to circle around cover and ambush enemies, distracting from the pace of level. Maybe a complex fighting system just isn’t that important to Mirror’s Edge—I’ll need more time with Catalyst to be convinced by this change.

Mirror’s Edge was well worth reviving, and this demo tells me that Catalyst will look and feel familiar to the game’s existing audience. DICE should now focus on showing players how the open world really adds to that.
http://www.pcgamer.com/mirrors-edge-gets-easier-combat-and-an-open-world/

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst collector’s edition announced

$200 special edition includes Faith statue, SteelBook, more.

Electronic Arts and DICE have announced a $199.99 collector’s edition for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, which will be available across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on February 23.
The collector’s edition will be available at GameStop in North America or online, with other retailers worldwide to be announced soon.
Its full contents include:
  • Adult Faith/Young Faith diorama
  • Exclusive Steel book
  • Exclusive lithograph
  • Set of 10 concept pieces
  • Temporary logo tattoo
  • Temporary Faith arm tattoo
  • Storage box

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/mirrors-edge-catalyst-collectors-edition-announced#jv58v108IYEco962.99

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:gladbron: That looked dope!!! I loved the way the city looked. Can't wait for this!
Variable framerate? Looks like it from here. Felt like a solid 30 at the end...GODDAMNIT WTF :beli:

I want a solid 60
?? It looked like 60fps most of the time with some dips here and there. Either way, this is on PC right?? Why even worry about solid 60 when you know if a good port is imminent, fps is pretty much in your hand granted your hardware is up to par..

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Delayed

mirrors_edge_catalyst.0.0-696x392.jpg

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

EA announced today that the newest installment in the Mirror’s Edge franchise will be delayed.

It was announced around the time of E3 that Mirror’s Edge Catalyst would see a Feburary 23rd 2016, however in the announcement on the Mirror’s Edge website that the game would be pushed back to May 24 2016.

The statement says “Years ago, we set out an ambitious vision for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. Achieving that vision and delivering the best possible experience is equally inspiring and challenging. And it takes time.”

The statement also says “We will use these few extra months to make sure that when you step into the massive City of Glass and experience the rise of Faith, it’s as entertaining, impressive, and memorable as it can be.”

The Mirror’s Edge team thanks everyone for their patience and the huge amount of feedback they’ve received about the game.

While game pushbacks are never received well, in my opinion it’s much better to push a game back a few months to ensure the game is as good as it can be. When developers try to rush to meet projected deadlines, or holiday sales windows, we wind up with games like Assassin’s Creed: Unity and Sonic Boom.

Personally, I don’t mind waiting for a long time for game if I know the utmost amount of quality is being poured into it. That’s not to devalue the massive amounts of hard work that goes into developing a game, but a thing of quality, knows the test of time.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Q1 2016 is crowded as hell anyways. Works for me.
My thoughts exactly. It's in their best interest to delay this game. It isn't a heavy hitter like the rest of the stuff dropping early 2016. Its best for them to wait for the smoke to clear and drop this later.