Minority Neighborhoods Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I mean these are the same companies that admittedly discriminate premium rates based on age and gender despite driving history.

AND THIS IS THE BULLshyt WE'RE POINTING OUT!!!! :mindblown: They are gender biased too!!! Females known to get better rates because they fukking females and stereotypically a low risk is bullshyt!!! Where's the fukking equality.

Blade

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OTIS NASH WORKS SIX DAYS A WEEK AT TWO JOBS, as a security guard and a pest control technician, but still struggles to make the $190.69 monthly Geico car insurance payment for his 2012 Honda Civic LX.

“I’m on the edge of homelessness,” said Nash, a 26-year-old Chicagoan who supports his wife and 7-year-old daughter. But “without a car, I can’t get to work, and then I can’t pay my rent.”

maybe make better choices :yeshrug: i drive an 01 and i carry zero insurance on it, just insurance when i hit someone else. whereas this dude needs to drive a 2012 and carry collision on it, even though he's on the edge of homelessness and supporting a kid?

now the overall story sucks, but what a terrible example to use

From what I know in Toronto ... Civic premiums tend to be higher than average

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I pay 138 a month for full coverage for my car and I'm 28

Insurance companies are scum

:scust:

Gotta give us more details. I pay 160 something for a 09 Prius, but I got two tickets. Full coverage too.

I know women pay less, but that was from statistics. Young men are liable to speed faster and be reckless..

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I pay like 450 every 6 months full coverage and roadside assistance. 2012 Honda civic, 26 black male.

Pay your insurance in full it's cheaper. I also have a few discounts.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Gotta give us more details. I pay 160 something for a 09 Prius, but I got two tickets. Full coverage too.

I know women pay less, but that was from statistics. Young men are liable to speed faster and be reckless..

14 Audi S4, I don't have any infractions

• Dap
Reactions: Ill

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Yeah Geico be on that shyt talking bout my dodge charger at the time was considered a Premium race car (To them), Even though it's classified as a sedan with a V6 engine they was doing everything they could to raise that monthly rate on me... :beli: Such bullshyt...

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
14 Audi S4, I don't have any infractions

Yeah I'm in MA and paying slightly above that ($150/mo) for a '14 E350. Picked up a point or two on my insurance for a speeding ticket right when I got the car but other than that it's clean. I have Geico btw. When MA deregulated and allowed interstate insurance my rates went wayyy down. Competition has been good for MA insurance rates.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
most people purchase their car insurance online or over the phone how the fukk can they offer you a rate based on how you look :stopitslime::stopitslime::stopitslime:

and did someone here really just suggest that shyt cost more money in poor neighborhoods. are you fukkin stupid. what kind of economic sense does that make. who the fukk gonna overcharge on goods in a poor ass neighborhood :stopitslime::stopitslime::stopitslime:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
You know how dumb this sounds? The article goes in depth and specifically talks about its methodology which you did nothing to contradict. It straight up broke it down by zip code. You stupidly said they have different coverage. The article specifically compares individuals being charged more for the same types of coverage based on their zip codes even though the white neighborhoods have more risk. Number 2, you said it's okay to discriminate because black people are more likely to have less income. So you just cosigned charging people more who by the terms of your own policy (Geico) should be paying less because they make less and are thus more likely to fall behind on payments. In other words, you made it more difficult for the people that you are afraid will fall behind to stay in front. What? And you stereotyped the guy because of his skin color instead of his individual ability.

So your answer to discrimination is to shop around. So if I walk into a store and I go to buy gas and they charge me 5.50 because I'm black and charge you 2.25 because you're white, I have nothing to complain about because I could've gone next door and paid 2.10? Have I not still been discriminated against because of my race? Have I not been unfairly taxed because of my skin color? You do realize that the whole idea of "don't complain about being treated like yourr subhuman here because you have other options" is the entire gist of the argument behind segregation right? Go somewhere else where you're wanted, not where is most convenient to you. Not where you deserve fairness as a man, go where they're willing to have you. Moreover, even though he should've shopped around (of course everyone should), he still should have been paying substantially less based on his status. Moreover, he's probably paying a higher rate because he's black at the other insurer as well. This is well-documented, so unless you have the data on hand to undermine a 4-state process that looked at 100,000 cases including looking at the most highly regulated state (California), I suggest you take a seat. @Abogado you didn't tell me dudes who cosign racial discrimination based on "perceived likelihood" of an event posted on here. That's literally the logic used to justify racial profiling.

dap+rep

I swear some of these posters are stuck on stupid, I can attest to the article, I live in an upper middle class area, own a business and drive relatively new cars and I pay twice as much as my white neighbors. Blacks have been getting raped by the insurance industry for years and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more light shed on this type of discrimination. There is no way a man should be paying close to 200 dollars a month in insurance on a Honda Civic especially if he has a relatively clean driving record. People don't pay that in NJ which has some of the highest insurance premiums in the country.