Minority Neighborhoods Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
also

On average, from 2012 through 2014, Illinois insurers paid out 20 percent less for bodily injury and property damage claims in Nash’s predominantly minority zip code than in Hedges’ largely white one, according to data collected by the state’s insurance commission. But Nash pays 51 percent more for that portion of his coverage than Hedges does.

Clearly they have different coverage. There are so many factors go into insurance costs that have nothing to do with race. Even still

Cox then shopped around and realized he could save nearly $400 a year by switching to Allstate for his two Mercedes-Benzes.

I'm going to have to 1 star neg this. Shop around on your fukking insurance.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
its the first sentence, it caught my eye :yeshrug: you're right, its irrelevant

and yeah, if you're crying broke then you dont need to drive a 2012 anything and carry collision on it :heh: im sorry im so off base with that comment. and no one brought up his race
Borderline homeless, with a relatively new car. let me guess, he probably has great credit too. :beli: :duck::duck::duck:

Daps
Reppin
In The Clouds
Borderline homeless, with a relatively new car. let me guess, he probably has great credit too. :beli: :duck::duck::duck:
Did you just neg me for race bating? WTF? The entire article is about discrepancies insurance given based on individuals of the same qualifications based on race and somehow you decided to focus on some irrelevant shyt. The entire point of the thread was race. I could be driving a bentley, and be making 20k and if I get a higher insurance rate than a white guy driving a bentley making 20k then that's still discriminnation. Whatever personal decisions we make has no bearing on how we are unfairly assigned shyt because of our races. So the guy you quoted dodged the race issue, which everyone else recognized and focused on personal attributes (a common tactic to ignore systemic biases) and somehow you think I'm the problem? He even admitted to not reading the article. You're better than that.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
In The Clouds
also

Clearly they have different coverage. There are so many factors go into insurance costs that have nothing to do with race. Even still

I'm going to have to 1 star neg this. Shop around on your fukking insurance.
You know how dumb this sounds? The article goes in depth and specifically talks about its methodology which you did nothing to contradict. It straight up broke it down by zip code. You stupidly said they have different coverage. The article specifically compares individuals being charged more for the same types of coverage based on their zip codes even though the white neighborhoods have more risk. Number 2, you said it's okay to discriminate because black people are more likely to have less income. So you just cosigned charging people more who by the terms of your own policy (Geico) should be paying less because they make less and are thus more likely to fall behind on payments. In other words, you made it more difficult for the people that you are afraid will fall behind to stay in front. What? And you stereotyped the guy because of his skin color instead of his individual ability.

So your answer to discrimination is to shop around. So if I walk into a store and I go to buy gas and they charge me 5.50 because I'm black and charge you 2.25 because you're white, I have nothing to complain about because I could've gone next door and paid 2.10? Have I not still been discriminated against because of my race? Have I not been unfairly taxed because of my skin color? You do realize that the whole idea of "don't complain about being treated like yourr subhuman here because you have other options" is the entire gist of the argument behind segregation right? Go somewhere else where you're wanted, not where is most convenient to you. Not where you deserve fairness as a man, go where they're willing to have you. Moreover, even though he should've shopped around (of course everyone should), he still should have been paying substantially less based on his status. Moreover, he's probably paying a higher rate because he's black at the other insurer as well. This is well-documented, so unless you have the data on hand to undermine a 4-state process that looked at 100,000 cases including looking at the most highly regulated state (California), I suggest you take a seat. @Abogado you didn't tell me dudes who cosign racial discrimination based on "perceived likelihood" of an event posted on here. That's literally the logic used to justify racial profiling.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Did you just neg me for race bating? WTF? The entire article is about discrepancies insurance given based on individuals of the same qualifications based on race and somehow you decided to focus on some irrelevant shyt. The entire point of the thread was race. I could be driving a bentley, and be making 20k and if I get a higher insurance rate than a white guy driving a bentley making 20k then that's still discriminnation. Whatever personal decisions we make has no bearing on how we are unfairly assigned shyt because of our races. So the guy you quoted dodged the race issue, which everyone else recognized and focused on personal attributes (a common tactic to ignore systemic biases) and somehow you think I'm the problem? He even admitted to not reading the article. You're better than that.
Except your entire article is based around two fukking minorities. With different plans. With no mention of their credit worthiness. Or any of the other actuarial data used to determine their rates.

Also, I read the article. That's your de facto position anytime someone disagrees with you.

It's a shyt article with little data attempting to use race as the sole factor despite everyone being minorities.

And even thing I quoted were discrepancies or general vagueness in the article. So defend yourself shyt article. Or defend your position with better and accurate data, but don't give me the "I feel this way" argument as proof.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
If you think a company is profiling you based on race, but as put in the article there are plenty of other companies that are not. Then why are you sticking with that company and then crying foul. He chose that company. Now stop whining. Toughen up. And don't use a car insurance company that's fukking you over.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The problem here is that you're disregarding all of the other factors taken into account for your rate differences then attributing race as the sole defining factor without even addressing the other factors that come into play and completely disregard that a black person living in a "whiter" area would still get the lower rate. It's far from conclusive. And miss me with that white apologist bullshyt you run to.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
off the top of my head here's what the article hasn't accounted for:

Profession.
Multiple driver discounts.
Primary verses secondary drivers on the account.
Home owners, renters, multiple product discounts.
Employee discounts.
Credit Worthiness.
Salary/Income.
Children.
Age.
How often they Drive.
Older car versus newer car. It's actually an inverse on rate mostly because the older the car the higher likelihood it will be totaled.
Insurance History.
Gender.

I'm sure there are many more, but that's just off the top. So yea, I said this is race baiting because the article disregards most of the factors and says ahhhh it's because they live in a "blacker" neighborhood.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can we get examples other than Illinois tho?

chicago itself has factors that can make it a singularity in this type of case

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Let's go deeper gas,groceries literally everything more in "urban" areas. Charging $60 for psn yr long membership, while it's $49 in the "nice" areas. Chevron $2.99 in lake of the pines $3 & some change in the arden area. These studies are for the idiots who won't believe us yet nothing will change. I was getting killed for havin a 19 yr old V8 Thunderbird :snoop:
gas prices are totally different though. completely affected by taxes

First there's the federal gas tax. It's a standard 18.4 cents nationwide. Then states tack on an additional excise tax. That varies from just a few cents to over 20 cents. On top of that, some states add an additional sales tax. Then in a few unlucky locales, county and city governments levy their own sales tax as well.

Some states use these taxes solely for road maintenance and construction, Dougher said, while other places put the money into their general fund.

Added all up, gas taxes can range from a low of 26 cents in Alaska to a high of 66 cents in California, according to API.
Gas prices' big difference largely due to taxes, oil price - Mar. 1, 2011

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Can we get examples other than Illinois tho?

chicago itself has factors that can make it a singularity in this type of case
What about chicago would skew the results in other locations? They are comparing neighborhoods in the same city with the same level of risk.

This is the first study. Secondary studies can copy the methodology for different locales, but the results will be the same because they chief determining factor is race and concentration of poverty.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
also,

There's actually nothing wrong with this if you do indeed live in an area where people tend to fall behind on their payments. I imagine these same people also have to put down down payments for their power as well.

obligatory :mjpls: for faux coli militants

What insurance company lets you "fall behind" on payments?:patrice: You're more than a few weeks late on Geico and your ass is cancelled.:camby:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
off the top of my head here's what the article hasn't accounted for:

Profession.
Multiple driver discounts.
Primary verses secondary drivers on the account.
Home owners, renters, multiple product discounts.
Employee discounts.
Credit Worthiness.
Salary/Income.
Children.
Age.
How often they Drive.
Older car versus newer car. It's actually an inverse on rate mostly because the older the car the higher likelihood it will be totaled.
Insurance History.
Gender.

I'm sure there are many more, but that's just off the top. So yea, I said this is race baiting because the article disregards most of the factors and says ahhhh it's because they live in a "blacker" neighborhood.

"ProPublica and Consumer Reports, which examined auto insurance premiums and payouts in California, Illinois, Texas and Missouri, has found that many of the disparities in auto insurance prices between minority and white neighborhoods are wider than differences in risk can explain."

You think the folks running the data analysis didn't think to factor these things into consideration?

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What about chicago would skew the results in other locations? They are comparing neighborhoods in the same city with the same level of risk.

This is the first study. Secondary studies can copy the methodology for different locales, but the results will be the same because they chief determining factor is race and concentration of poverty.

Population density, crime as it's reflected on property value etc. Furthermore they used examples of two ppl with different plans

Also this isn't news, my friends would use their college apartment as the address for their car insurance as opposed to their philly ones. SInce the zipcode is for some backwater college town the premiums are way less than what anyone would pay with a philly zip code no matter where in the city.

I mean these are the same companies that admittedly discriminate premium rates based on age and gender despite driving history.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
"ProPublica and Consumer Reports, which examined auto insurance premiums and payouts in California, Illinois, Texas and Missouri, has found that many of the disparities in auto insurance prices between minority and white neighborhoods are wider than differences in risk can explain."

You think the folks running the data analysis didn't think to factor these things into consideration?
Actually, no.

Our analysis examined more than 100,000 premiums charged for liability insurance — the combination of bodily injury and property damage that represents the minimum coverage drivers buy in each of the states. To equalize driver-related variables such as age and accident history, we limited our study to one type of customer: a 30-year-old woman with a safe driving record. We then compared those premiums, which were provided by Quadrant Information Services, to the average amounts paid out by insurers for liability claims in each zip code."