MILITARY STORIES

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You technically have to go one time, hell you can call in and they'll come get you.

However if you're scared to go to the VA but not scared to go to work or go out and handle business then maybe all you need is 90%.

Closed mouths rarely get fed.

You know you can get talk therapy at Vet Centers too you know.
VA only adds to mental health problems for most folks. Once I got my check, I never went back.

fukking around with them.... I completely understand why that one guy set himself on fire in the parking lot.

shyt, I think they're still mandating that you have to participate in a certain amount of group therapy sessions at larger locations too. That's the last thing folks need before proper diagnosis.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
VA only adds to mental health problems for most folks. Once I got my check, I never went back.

fukking around with them.... I completely understand why that one guy set himself on fire in the parking lot.

shyt, I think they're still mandating that you have to participate in a certain amount of group therapy sessions at larger locations too. That's the last thing folks need before proper diagnosis.
I recieved some of my best treatment at vet centers not VA hospitals nikkas with unit ballcaps that hang out at the VA trying to get every dime will make a breh trying to get an appointment and get out crazy.

I know a female Vet who worked at a hospital that mentioned getting low key harassed by dusty ass men.
I wouldn't go to a VA hospital if i were sick. But if I was broke and had 300% I would go everyday like the other old dusties.

You know they literally pay you to come and they give you free food in those cafeterias? shyt is like an old folks home and most of them have temporary or long term care facilitions and mental wards on site.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

Understand that everyone is different and no one knows what will work. For one I needed years to accept that I was fukked up, dispite me partially growing up in DC near Walter Reed and the VA Hospital in DC, My memory was so bad I couldn't remember where it was. But I thought I was Ok.

They either have to figure out which drugs work best for you and which therapies work best. One on one sessions rarely worked for me, I still don't like to talk about it. Group Therapy and even Recreational therapy (yes they teach you how to have fun) worked best for me.

But in general VA hospitals are constant reminders that you are broken (which the vast majority of Veterans are not) It's like the Wounded Warrior Transition Units having you hang out with people even more fukked up than you. It really doesn't help.

If the WTU's were still a thing I'd love to volunteer, They should have at least one open they do the lord's work.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I can only speak on DC, Hood, and Honolulu.

But I wouldn't step foot into the bottomless well of depression and bile that is the DC VA hospital ever again. Its not an exaggeration when they say the VA kills people. Either through negligence, malpractice, inefficiency, ineptitude.... Nah. The VA's only real value, imo, is the money they can provide. Expecting anything more than that is just waiting to get fukked over again.

Honolulu was nice - but that vet community is aimed specifically at people who retired and 60+ types. Young guys who get out early? I tell everyone to get their money as quickly as possible, try to get the VA to cover third party/adjacent practice visits, and never bother with the VA again.

Had a several counselors more interested in making me a case study than actually helping me or friends who were dealing with the same stuff. Had another doctor try and diagnose me with a flowchart. Another office gave me half a dozen prescriptions in less than 3 weeks. They're more interested in putting you on a perpetual crush that validates existing expenditures than anything else.
Understand that everyone is different and no one knows what will work. For one I needed years to accept that I was fukked up, dispite me partially growing up in DC near Walter Reed and the VA Hospital in DC, My memory was so bad I couldn't remember where it was. But I thought I was Ok.

They either have to figure out which drugs work best for you and which therapies work best. One on one sessions rarely worked for me, I still don't like to talk about it. Group Therapy and even Recreational therapy (yes they teach you how to have fun) worked best for me.

But in general VA hospitals are constant reminders that you are broken (which the vast majority of Veterans are not) It's like the Wounded Warrior Transition Units having you hang out with people even more fukked up than you. It really doesn't help.

If the WTU's were still a thing I'd love to volunteer, They should have at least one open they do the lord's work.
funny you bring that up

Group therapy is the closest I've ever been to becoming senselessly violent :mjlol:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I can only speak on DC, Hood, and Honolulu.

But I wouldn't step foot into the bottomless well of depression and bile that is the DC VA hospital ever again. Its not an exaggeration when they say the VA kills people. Either through negligence, malpractice, inefficiency, ineptitude.... Nah. The VA's only real value, imo, is the money they can provide. Expecting anything more than that is just waiting to get fukked over again.

Honolulu was nice - but that vet community is aimed specifically at people who retired and 60+ types. Young guys who get out early? I tell everyone to get their money as quickly as possible, try to get the VA to cover third party/adjacent practice visits, and never bother with the VA again.

Had a several counselors more interested in making me a case study than actually helping me or friends who were dealing with the same stuff. Had another doctor try and diagnose me with a flowchart. Another office gave me half a dozen prescriptions in less than 3 weeks. They're more interested in putting you on a perpetual crush that validates existing expenditures than anything else.
funny you bring that up

Group therapy is the closest I've ever been to becoming senselessly violent :mjlol:

what worked for you? I will say random group therapy did almost get violent several times because this old timer was seeking PTSD because he said a whiteboy threatened to cut his Parachute ropes. That sounds sensible to someone who never jumped before, but you cannot cut someone's ropes while preparing to Jump, that's like someone jumping only to find siliverware coming out of their 'chute instead of a parachute.

When the old dude said that, I openly laughed and another cat defended him and we almost got into it.

I'm in totally agreement that the constant focus on trauma bonding is unhelpful but seeing the old timers cheat the system and have decent lives shows that it really gets better.

That being said I'm overseas and other than getting meds I'm feeling a million times better. Just looking at the sea works better than any pill.

I strongly suggest you hit the beach and go boating if you can.

Why did you leave Honolulu? I'd kill to be there.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
what worked for you? I will say random group therapy did almost get violent several times because this old timer was seeking PTSD because he said a whiteboy threatened to cut his Parachute ropes. That sounds sensible to someone who never jumped before, but you cannot cut someone's ropes while preparing to Jump, that's like someone jumping only to find siliverware coming out of their 'chute instead of a parachute.

When the old dude said that, I openly laughed and another cat defended him and we almost got into it.

I'm in totally agreement that the constant focus on trauma bonding is unhelpful but seeing the old timers cheat the system and have decent lives shows that it really gets better.

That being said I'm overseas and other than getting meds I'm feeling a million times better. Just looking at the sea works better than any pill.

I strongly suggest you hit the beach and go boating if you can.

Why did you leave Honolulu? I'd kill to be there.
what worked? i don't know really. just managing stress better and accepting that people are stupid and that its not my problem :skip:

i don't like the old guys because the military, for many of them, is all they are. at least the ones who still actually engage with the VA. its disgusting to me if i'm to speak plainly on it.

Hawaii was amazing but there was a real ceiling to how far I could get professionally out there. I hated leaving but it was worth it. Next big move I make is probably out the country for good tbh. Americans just tire me out :mjlol:

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
Anyone got tips for palace chasing

Yea just be prepared as far as a plan after you get out idk how long the process takes but once you get your orders and they move your separation date up you can knock out all your out processing. Do you have a plan as far as when your out the military?

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea just be prepared as far as a plan after you get out idk how long the process takes but once you get your orders and they move your separation date up you can knock out all your out processing. Do you have a plan as far as when your out the military?
Yep. I’m going to get my certification in the job I’m doing right now, and find a job in the DFW area