Microsoft’s Xbox boss says Amazon and Google are ‘the main competitors going forward’

Teal.

Solo Dolo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Notfit,GA
Boss man out here handing out Ls for the Lstation express. :wow:

philspencer2.0.0.jpg

Microsoft’s head of gaming and Xbox, Phil Spencer, has revealed that the company sees Amazon and Google as its main competition for the future. Speaking in an interview with newly launched technology publication Protocol, Spencer dismisses Sony and Nintendo’s ability to create a cloud infrastructure that will challenge Microsoft, Google, or Amazon.

When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward,” says Spencer. “That’s not to disrespect Nintendo and Sony, but the traditional gaming companies are somewhat out of position. I guess they could try to re-create Azure, but we’ve invested tens of billions of dollars in cloud over the years.”

Microsoft has been realigning its gaming efforts for a future far beyond the Xbox console. The software giant’s big effort now involves reaching billions of players around the world with cloud gaming. Google has already launched its Stadia service, and Microsoft is trialing its own xCloud streaming service that is set to launch fully later this year.

Spencer has previously discussed the threat of Amazon and Google as competitors, but not in such clear terms. He has also previously stated that Microsoft’s gaming business “isn’t how many consoles you sell,” and he acknowledges this further by noting that Microsoft isn’t interested in getting into a future format war with Nintendo and Sony. “I don’t want to be in a fight over format wars with those guys while Amazon and Google are focusing on how to get gaming to 7 billion people around the world,” says Spencer in the Protocol interview. “Ultimately, that’s the goal.”

That means Microsoft is getting ready for future console wars that will take place in data centers, and it’s ready to partner with competitors that can also use Azure. Microsoft partnered with Sony last year, and the pair appears to be readying to host Sony’s services on Azure in the future.

Cloud gaming still seems like it’s in the distant future, especially as Sony and Microsoft prepare to launch the traditional PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles later this year. Both next-generation consoles will go head-to-head throughout the important holiday season, and Nintendo is still seeing positive growth with its Switch sales, thanks to the new Switch Lite.

Microsoft’s Xbox boss says Amazon and Google are "the main competitors going forward"

I really hope that sony can catch up... all their exclusives are going to PC too...:picard:

Xbox already had Backward Compatibility for good 2 + years now and sony now just got it last year barely... :picard:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

I really hope that sony can catch up... all their exclusives are going to PC too...:picard:

Xbox already had Backward Compatibility for good 2 + years now and sony now just got it last year barely... :picard:

Act like Playstaton didn't start Backwards Compatalibilty on consoles brehs....
Move the goalposts to competing with Amazon and Google because you got mollywhopped in the console race brehs...

xabIEeQ.png

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Sony is using Azure. They are literally becoming Microsoft's customer. You're still thinking about who sells the most boxes to end users and Microsoft is thinking about software and cloud computing on a wide scale. It's not really about the walled garden approach as much anymore its about creating a platform that exist as a service.

Sony's market cap isn't even 20% of Microsoft's.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's very true. I've been saying this for years now....

You'd almost think I was on the team.:whoo:

At some point it's going to be a hard shift, and Nintendo nor Sony is gonna be ready like Microsoft is.

The thing about that is Nintendo doesn't need to be, they know how to work outside the box and are a brand.

Sony definitely has the most work cut out for them.

And I think Microsoft realizes that if Google or Amazon really wanted to get into the gaming business they could be a serious threat

Stadia might be trash now, but Google has Money to make sure it isn't in in the future

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Im just here to correct any mistakes...

Xbox been backwards compatible for a decade now because they started last gen with software emulation :francis:
Act like Playstaton didn't start Backwards Compatalibilty on consoles brehs....
Move the goalposts to competing with Amazon and Google because you got mollywhopped in the console race brehs...

xabIEeQ.png
The ps3 og was backwards compatible, but every model after the initial launch systems was not because Sony didn't wanna spend the less than $5 it cost to have the emotion engine chip.

Now that's odd to remove such a feature, please explain to us all why they removed the ee chip from ps3 consoles rekka since you playing dumb. I'll remind you, they took it out, bought gaikai and thought since you're dumbass sheep anyway they can just sell ps2 games top you again like how Nintendo does. You i vividly remember acting like renting mgs4 for $20 for a month was a good deal, let me find this thread of you lying to the community..

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/sonys-playstation-now-service-announcement.179492/

Sony then claimed they would do software emulation as well but ultimately quietly abandoned that idea. So Sony gets no credit. If it's about being first the wii did it, i believe Sega Saturn did too but who cares about reality. Cuz reality would be about who is doing it BEST. It's not even close who that is, which is why you're shyt posting :umad:
Yes MS does need to exit the videogame industry and focus on something else.
Are they profitable? Show me they not and I'll agree with you. And if you don't then :umad: