Microsoft vs Sony; who can afford to hold out longest regarding price announcement?

Daps
So now we all know a game of chicken is being played between the two sides. No one wants to announce the price in the fear of being undercut by the other, but this shyt clearly can’t go on forever as one of them will eventually have to break, so who will it be?

I think it’ll be Microsoft as their Achilles heel is their rumoured cheaper Series S console. It’s coming and not only do they need to announce it soon, but it has to be announced with a price otherwise there would be no point as the price is the big attraction since it has a lower power. They also need time to advertise it and the longer they wait, the worse their situation will be.

Sony on the other hand have announced their two consoles and are done. They also have the bigger mindshare and therefore can afford to wait as long as possible whilst in the meantime showing games, advertising, keeping the hype going without mentioning price. For me they’re the one who’ll hold.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft will probably break 1st.

But they shouldn't, and it looks like they realize this but I think Phil is going to want to end up trying to be fair to the consumers instead of just holding out. Especially since they've waited this long.

The closer and closer it gets to release the worse it is for Sony, especially at price point anything higher than 499.

I assume we have to get a price this month from both I can't really imagine then revealing the price with less than a month until release

• Dap
Reactions: MMA

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Microsoft can cover for the losses because the series S.

The starting price is important because it will determine how much they are willing to gain/lose for the next 3 years.

They both want to price at 600 but Sony will lose a lot of sales if the series S is 300 vs a 500 dollar ps5 DE

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Microsoft will probably break 1st.

But they shouldn't, and it looks like they realize this but I think Phil is going to want to end up trying to be fair to the consumers instead of just holding out. Especially since they've waited this long.

The closer and closer it gets to release the worse it is for Sony, especially at price point anything higher than 499.

I assume we have to get a price this month from both I can't really imagine then revealing the price with less than a month until release

I think Sony is scared of doing 499 when they shouldn't be. Above 499 is what is going to generate fake outrage IMO

Whomever blinks first is just gonna get matched by the other. This shyt is lame.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I think Sony is scared of doing 499 when they shouldn't be. Above 499 is what is going to generate fake outrage IMO

Whomever blinks first is just gonna get matched by the other. This shyt is lame.
Sony positioning is about their long term effects of pricing. If they can charge more and keep customers they will do it, they just want Microsoft to get the backlash first for pricing.

They should charge 500 and 600.

when they phase out the PS4 in 2 years sell a cheaper console for 300.

Last edited:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Y’all keep saying M$ has more money but it’s only what they will allocate to the Xbox gaming division.

For all we know Sony’s budget is bigger because of this gens success while M$ forecasted a smaller budget because of the One X shyt performance.

If they were constantly throwing money at this we’d be having Zune phones right now.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Microsoft can cover for the losses because the series S.

The starting price is important because it will determine how much they are willing to gain/lose for the next 3 years.

They both want to price at 600 but Sony will lose a lot of sales if the series S is 300 vs a 500 dollar ps5 DE
Clearly not, since the 6 TF One X was 300 for almost a year and still couldn’t catch up to the PS4. Why would a 4 TF Series S disrupt the sales of the PS5?