Microsoft is laying off 1900 people across its Xbox, Activision and Zenimax teams

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I wonder how some of them feel

company that hired you gets bought out by a bigger company just to lay your ass off

I would find phil and spit in his coffee and slap his punjab boss of his

Spencer:
zzjaffvyvwc81.jpg

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think it says a lot about the state of the industry that people turned to a mega merger as some sort of savior to the monopolies we have. This is an industry where market leaders can become entrenched and are easily able to enact anticompetitive practices to keep their dominance.

Gamers knew these sorts of mergers are problematic but some consumers were tired of the lack of competition and wanted anything to save them. When you have companies so dominate in a field that they can do whatever they want with no checks and balances it's not good for consumers as a whole.

It is very unfortunate that Microsoft is the only alternative. Many of us would love someone else to step in and take a shot at it. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. The bigger players see better opportunities in PC and mobile or with streaming. In fact we're getting to the point where Microsoft sees it that way too. Any other company entering this industry now will be starting from a weaker position than Microsoft and with much less runway before the console business as a whole begins to scale down.

I think ultimately we're stuck with two companies heading the two main sectors of consoles that only answer to themselves. They can enact whatever policies they want and there's no one to keep them honest.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think it says a lot about the state of the industry that people turned to a mega merger as some sort of savior to the monopolies we have. This is an industry where market leaders can become entrenched and are easily able to enact anticompetitive practices to keep their dominance.

Gamers knew these sorts of mergers are problematic but some consumers were tired of the lack of competition and wanted anything to save them. When you have companies so dominate in a field that they can do whatever they want with no checks and balances it's not good for consumers as a whole.

It is very unfortunate that Microsoft is the only alternative. Many of us would love someone else to step in and take a shot at it. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. The bigger players see better opportunities in PC and mobile or with streaming. In fact we're getting to the point where Microsoft sees it that way too. Any other company entering this industry now will be starting from a weaker position than Microsoft and with much less runway before the console business as a whole begins to scale down.

I think ultimately we're stuck with two companies heading the two main sectors of consoles that only answer to themselves. They can enact whatever policies they want and there's no one to keep them honest.
Companies don’t sell cause they are doing great.

People blaming these layoffs on mergers or consolidation are missing the point.

The devs were in trouble BEFORE the mergers. Jobs are always lost with mergers, the point is the jobs that are left are more stable going forward.

I saw some numbers that Activision/blizzard had hired like 6000 people over the last 3 years. Even during all the merger fukkery they were hiring thousands. It sucks but microsoft’s job was quite literally to come in and manage that shyt to make it more sustainable.

Nobody is in this to make forum posters feel better. Bottom line is always most important. It’s gotta make financial sense or it’s always gonna be a “no” :manny: