Microsoft and Sony are releasing two console skus each. Which one is the better strategy?

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
“People” don’t give a fukk.

will it play the “next gen” version of fortnite or not??
There is no next gen fortnite. Epic already said they're just going to keep expanding what's there now so keep the player-base.

The X1X being what it is puts Lockhart in an uncomfortable place. You also have MS pledging to release all of their games cross-gen which will stunt any growth Lockhart would have provided.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Hoping the discless PS5 has more storage or is $100 cheaper, otherwise it's pointless. I'm getting that one anyway, I don't see the point of discs these days when they are just physical DRM to play the game anyway.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hoping the discless PS5 has more storage or is $100 cheaper, otherwise it's pointless. I'm getting that one anyway, I don't see the point of discs these days when they are just physical DRM to play the game anyway.

ya I’m starting to feel that way as well...even tho I don’t use discs...I'd still rather have the option...saving $50 is not that great a bargain in lieu of not having that shyt

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
If MS gets a cheap, low cost low performance Xbox people won't care about that part. They'll gladly buy it just to jump into the next gen wave.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is how I think the pricing is going to go.

Lockhart - $399 - MIcrosoft will be determined to make some distance with this and the others.
Playstation 5 - Digital Edition $499 - This to me seems like they can't get the hardware under $500 but they have to have a $499 console out there regardless for perception so this is it. This is a concession console that fulfills the tagline of 'Starting at $499.'
Xbox Series X - $499 - I don't think Microsoft really has a choice. $499 or bust. At this point in time, Microsoft does not have the cache to sell a console north of $499.
Playstation 5 - Disc Edition - $549 - This isn't because they want to, it is because they have to. They can't do $599 again. I did it back in 2006 but the memes would eat them alive. For whatever cost the Playstation 5 is costing them, they have to eat it this time around.

I'm buying the XSX and the Disc Edition of the PS5.

Sony aren't going to price their console higher than the X-Box ever again. They'll match it for price, increase the price of their first party games and let their superior exclusives and mindshare do the rest.

The digital version is a no-brainer that will help take sales away from Lockhart. I doubt it will be more than 50 bucks cheaper

PS5/XBX - 500
PS5 Digital - 450
Lockhart - 350

In my opinion.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony aren't going to price their console higher than the X-Box ever again. They'll match it for price, increase the price of their first party games and let their superior exclusives and mindshare do the rest.

The digital version is a no-brainer that will help take sales away from Lockhart. I doubt it will be more than 50 bucks cheaper

PS5/XBX - 500
PS5 Digital - 450
Lockhart - 350

In my opinion.
Yep. Sony makes more money from subscriptions than the entire Xbox gaming division. No way they’ll price their console higher and lose out on that subscription money. My guess is $399 digital and $450-499 disc.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Selling an inferior version is bad business, I appreciate a low cost offering but the whole point of next gen is to push things forward, not half heartedly. Fragmenting your customers makes no sense, hindering developers who now have to account for both SKUs is similarly silly.

Disc less version at $100+ less is much smarter as you know you’ll recoup a greater amount from digital sales (30% comms) vs physicals. You could really undercut the price of full disc less version against this premise. Seems like two steps forward, one step back for MS.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Selling an inferior version is bad business, I appreciate a low cost offering but the whole point of next gen is to push things forward, not half heartedly. Fragmenting your customers makes no sense, hindering developers who now have to account for both SKUs is similarly silly.

Disc less version at $100+ less is much smarter as you know you’ll recoup a greater amount from digital sales (30% comms) vs physicals. You could really undercut the price of full disc less version against this premise. Seems like two steps forward, one step back for MS.
Good perspective. But who knows what MS is really doing yet. They haven't officially announced anything.