Microsoft Activision/Blizzard deal under review by FTC

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I think the only issue is potential effect, as this is already kickstarting consolidation. Nobody wants a duopoly where you're technically a second party studio or forced to go indie.

In the end, I don't see this getting blocked.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Microsoft Deal for Activision to Be Reviewed by FTC in U.S.

Will the Microsoft-Activision Deal Get Done? Wall Street Gives It Just a 60% Chance.

Imagine :ohhh:

This most likely will get passed through but it doesn’t bode well for any future major acquisitions they want to make. Take Two and EA are most def off the table after this

Microsoft will probably buy individual developers and the IPs they worked on going forward. They could easily go to say EA and pluck Bioware with Mass Effect and Dragon Age without buying the entire company itself. Bioware is under pressure after Anthem. Could be a solution to saving mismanaged studios that still have some potential but face shutdown at their patent company. Maybe they just get the studio and leave the IP.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I think the only issue would be the amount of studios that A/B owns, and that have been third party for the longest time now. I do think it will go though, but this will be their last big purchase. I think moving forward they will pay for timed exclusives. And ultimately I do think they will license out IP.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
That Hail Mary of hope is going to fall flat.

Why Antitrust Concerns Won’t Block Microsoft’s Activision Acquisition

Why Antitrust Concerns Won’t Block Microsoft’s Activision Acquisition
Samson Amore
03:00 PM | January 24, 2022

Microsoft’s proposed $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard is the video game industry’s biggest-ever deal—but while it will likely create a gaming giant by bringing the “Call of Duty” publisher under the Xbox behemoth’s umbrella, legal experts say there is little chance of the deal being called off due to antitrust violations.

The merger is still subject to approval by federal regulators at the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, a process which could take up to a year. Until then, Santa Monica-based Activision will continue to operate independently with embattled CEO Bobby Kotick at the helm.

If it is approved, the deal would make Microsoft the world’s third-largest gaming firm based on revenue, behind only Chinese tech conglomerate Tencent and longtime Japanese rival Sony. Still, on market share alone, it is unlikely that the combination would raise antitrust red flags; Microsoft’s share of the gaming industry market was just 6.5% in 2020, according to industry research firm Newzoo, which noted that the addition of Activision would lift that figure to only 10.7%.

Gordon Lang, a former DOJ attorney who now helms law firm Nixon Peabody’s antitrust practice, told dot.LA that the deal’s price tag is “an eye-opener and it's enough to get the agency's attention—but as a practical matter, a price tag by itself is not going to make a transaction that has no competitive issues unlawful.”

Going to pass without a hitch and then on to the next one.