Michael Phelps ranked the best athlete of the 21st Century by ESPN

Is Michael Phelps the greatest athlete of the 21st Century?

• Total voters

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I don't know a single person who has ever aimed at becoming a professional swimmer.
And I don't think it's a big enough sport to top people like Brady, Ronaldo and Messi. Certainly the two latter seeing how they became goats in the biggest sport ever. But ofc it's ESPN, so it's gotta be an American. But I'd still choose Serena and Tiger over that.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
yeah, but there are a bunch of events in swimming. You have 19 chances to win ONE gold medal in swimming. There are 24 events for track and field as well. It's still impressive though. for him to have 23. Maybe one day boxing will get more events like a speed bag events(one hand and 2 hands), jump rope, or punching power measuring.

I damn sure never watched one.
They should've added 70 meters, 120 meters, 150 meters and 170 meters, and the same for relay for Usain Bolt :mjlol:

They should force swimmers to compete in like half of those things and them see who gets the highest average position and give them one medal. shyt is too similar to be different sports, or you wouldn't have people ending in (or close to) the top in so many different styles.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
simonemedals.jpg

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It said 70,000 ESPN readers were the voters..

So basically a simple popularity contest from non-analysts with no actual criteria?

SOUNDS LIKE CAP.

NO WAY ESPN READERS
WOULD HAVE HAD SERENA AT #2
AND MESSI AT NUMBER 3

LIST WOULD HAVE BEEN
ALL AMERICAN MEN
WITH BRADY AT NUMBER 1.
:devil:
:evil:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I saw they had Suzuki over Bonds, didn't care to read the rest of the list
if you needed artificial help, suggesting you're a better athlete is comical. Also, Bonds can only be taken into account from 2000-2007. Ichiro did all his damage starting from 2001.

That said, the criteria seems bizarre. The Sportscentury list they had before made some sense. I'm not sure what went into this.