Michael Jackson "Dangerous" is every bit as good as 'Thriller', 'Off the Wall', & 'Bad'

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I’ll give him “Smooth Criminal” & “Man in the Mirror”. Those are untouchable

But Dangerous got it on everything else

"Liberian Girl", doe.
"The Way You Make Me Feel", doe.
"Another Part Of Me", doe.
The Title Track, doe.

I might even say Bad is my least favorite MJ album of the Big 4...but it go like a mugg.

Daps
Both Bad and Dangerous feel like attempts by Jackson to approximate and exceed the Thriller album. And both fall short.

I actually think what Janet Jackson had with Rhythm Nation is where MJ should've been conceptually with Bad.

By the time you get to Dangerous it feels a little formulaic. Very ambitious record though.

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
Listening to ‘She Drives Me Wild’ rn
dancing-kids.gif

Woo! Teddy Riley outdone himself

Teddy at his absolute apex (all six of his tracks is top tier new jack swing material... class).

And the consistency of this album is why i prefer it over MJ's others. If anything, I wish teddy would have given us 4 more joints with MJ. Their chemistry was undeniable.

Notable mention for top 5 mj album is Xscape.

Daps
I read somewhere that MJ wanted to produce Bad on his own without Quincy Jones, and that it originally was supposed to be a triple album/33 tracks. There was some contract in place which prevented that, and the two were fighting a lot during production. Jones pared it down to a single LP.

The album art Jackson initially submitted was some wild looking transgressive stuff for the time, record company rejected it.

He also wanted to name the entire album Smooth Criminal but Quincy Jones vetoed that as well.

Sounded like if they would've left MJ to his devices the album would've been more sprawling than what was released. AKA what he did on Dangerous but at a younger age/better vocals. That time period MJ was peak vocals for sure.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Both Bad and Dangerous feel like attempts by Jackson to approximate and exceed the Thriller album. And both fall short.

I actually think what Janet Jackson had with Rhythm Nation is where MJ should've been conceptually with Bad.

By the time you get to Dangerous it feels a little formulaic. Very ambitious record though.
I can see this with BAD but not Dangerous

Dangerous felt like its own thing

Smartie

Rookie
Daps
I lovelovelove Dangerous, but it's so different from it's predecessors that I don't even compare it to any of them. It stands alone.
It was my introduction to classical music as a kid (WIll You Be There- Intro), a genre that I continue to love to this day. The lyrics to Jam are thought provoking and inspiring. Who Is it is a masterpiece. Remember The Time is Teddy's New Jack Swing magnum opus.

All of MJ's solo projects are amazing for different reasons.

Daps
I can see this with BAD but not Dangerous

Dangerous felt like its own thing
Maybe. My hang up is songs like Who Is It and Give Into Me feel like lesser versions of Billie Jean and Dirty Diana.

Sorta the same deal with Will You Be There/Keep The Faith vs Man In The Mirror. Like he was recycling concepts to a degree.

Jam > Bad though.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Maybe. My hang up is songs like Who Is It and Give Into Me feel like lesser versions of Billie Jean and Dirty Diana.

Sorta the same deal with Will You Be There/Keep The Faith vs Man In The Mirror. Like he was recycling concepts to a degree.

Jam > Bad though.
Yea the themes are similar but sonically they sound nothing alike

Like “give into me” is almost teetering on rock-country. Sounds nothing like diana

Who is it doesn’t really have a precedent sonically