MF Doom's quietly putting up numbers postmortem..... Both Madvillainy and MM..Food are Gold and Rap Snitch Knishes is Platinum!

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
vince-mcmahon-crying.gif

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
Yes but again you're attributing the bulk of his popularity to his death and it's just inaccurate

You're denying doing it but to say he was at barely over a million streams before his death and up to 9 million now is attributing his popularity to his death.

Doom been had millions on views and listens and again I know this because I've been having this exact debate for years

You think Rap Snitches has 44m views on YouTube because he died and it blew up? That song has always been popular.

You're not only understimating Doom's popularity, but what it takes to gain and retain the type of listenership(not a word) he has. Generic rapper death boost doesn't get you 9 million monthly listeners
again you are imagining shyt that I said. I did not say he got popular BECAUSE he died, that would be stupid as hell cause how many rappers have died? but he has blown up significantly SINCE he died. and man it's clear there's no way you were aware of his numbers before he died. yes rap snitches was one of his more popular songs but the reason it is where it is now is because it blew up on tiktok after he died. all of his fans recognize this so I really don't know what you're trying to argue here

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
a lot of cacs discovered him after his death. I think youtubers making vids about him recently boosted him hard. this shyt got almost 2 milly views.

This right here.

Back when these projects were dropping, the following was very different. He became a mythical figure for those new fans after he passed away. They did the same with Big L. I've had a lot of talks with them while diggin', and I respect that they went back to appreciate classics, even if they missed them drop in real time. That's how it's supposed to be. Keep the classics alive forever.

• Dap

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This right here.

Back when these projects were dropping, the following was very different. He became a mythical figure for those new fans after he passed away. They did the same with Big L. I've had a lot of talks with them while diggin', and I respect that they went back to appreciate classics, even if they missed them drop in real time. That's how it's supposed to be. Keep the classics alive forever.

I feel like DOOM had a decent following of white fans during that 2004 run, perhaps culminating with the Carton Network stuff he did the following year. Madvillainy charted and Danger Doom sold nearly 200k albums within three years of release. He cooled down significantly after.

One of the big reasons the blog era hit so hard for me was because of that DOOM drought: I remember scouring the Stones Throw forums for any bit of news on Madvillainy 2, the Dilla project, DOOM Starks, etc but nothing ever happened. Not to mention the Jay Electronica waits around that time, the rumors about all the projects Blu was going to drop, etc lol. Cole, Kendrick/TDE, Spitta, KRIT, etc were a godsend after that era for me.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I feel like DOOM had a decent following of white fans during that 2004 run, perhaps culminating with the Carton Network stuff he did the following year. Madvillainy charted and Danger Doom sold nearly 200k albums within three years of release. He cooled down significantly after.

One of the big reasons the blog era hit so hard for me was because of that DOOM drought: I remember scouring the Stones Throw forums for any bit of news on Madvillainy 2, the Dilla project, DOOM Starks, etc but nothing ever happened. Not to mention the Jay Electronica waits around that time, the rumors about all the projects Blu was going to drop, etc lol. Cole, Kendrick/TDE, Spitta, KRIT, etc were a godsend after that era for me.

During the Rhymesayers and Madvillainy days, I wasn't seeing that many white fans at the shows. There were definitely a few, but his shows back then were like mostly black and hispanic fans. In NYC, it was always the "downtown" crowd in there. By the time he started doing the RBM stuff and the online bloggy sh*t started moving a little, those crowds became damn near 90% white. It was crazy, lol. It's like what happened with Wu, to be honest. As RZA always says now.

That blog era was too weird for me. Because there were so many projects being floated that never saw the light of day. But there was also a shift in the sound that a lot of dope MC's never came back from, after falling off during that time. Spitta and Kendrick were the ones that held me down during that time with consistent quality. They raised the bar back then. But a million other dudes who kinda flourished for a hot minute then, were never the same again when that era ended.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
During the Rhymesayers and Madvillainy days, I wasn't seeing that many white fans at the shows. There were definitely a few, but his shows back then were like mostly black and hispanic fans. In NYC, it was always the "downtown" crowd in there. By the time he started doing the RBM stuff and the online bloggy sh*t started moving a little, those crowds became damn near 90% white. It was crazy, lol. It's like what happened with Wu, to be honest. As RZA always says now.

That blog era was too weird for me. Because there were so many projects being floated that never saw the light of day. But there was also a shift in the sound that a lot of dope MC's never came back from, after falling off during that time. Spitta and Kendrick were the ones that held me down during that time with consistent quality. They raised the bar back then. But a million other dudes who kinda flourished for a hot minute then, were never the same again when that era ended.

For me that shyt felt like it happened around 2005-2007. Adult Swim, Madlid/Stones Throw, vinyl...felt like a golden age for the "I don't like rap but I like [insert rapper with some mystique or alternative appeal]" white boy hours. At least that's the vibe I got in school around that time.

Yea def a few guys I remember being really excited about who faded or disappeared. Shout outs to AG Da Coroner. That explosion of dope shyt was amazing. Going from wondering if Jay Elect was ever gonna drop...to KNOWING you were getting new Roc Marci or Spitta or KRIT or whatever...changed the game for me and really turned the page on a lot of shyt for me.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
For me that shyt felt like it happened around 2005-2007. Adult Swim, Madlid/Stones Throw, vinyl...felt like a golden age for the "I don't like rap but I like [insert rapper with some mystique or alternative appeal]" white boy hours. At least that's the vibe I got in school around that time.

Yea def a few guys I remember being really excited about who faded or disappeared. Shout outs to AG Da Coroner. That explosion of dope shyt was amazing. Going from wondering if Jay Elect was ever gonna drop...to KNOWING you were getting new Roc Marci or Spitta or KRIT or whatever...changed the game for me and really turned the page on a lot of shyt for me.

I was getting that exact same vibe back then.

There were MC's who popped up during that time that I've forgotten about because they vanished right after that era. I heard Jay Electronica for the first time when Just Blaze was on Shade45. He played the demo for "So Wat'cha Sayin'" and I lost my damn mind. I thought Jay was about to take over sh*t! He would play snippets of dude's music every week, and then cut it off halfway through. So that just added to the mystique. Then after awhile, you just knew this bum wasn't coming out with nothing. HAHA!

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
My hos be the thickest, my dro the stickiest

Fantastic assassinated that beat

Its so crazy that Míster Fantastik killed that beat and murdered MF Doom on his own shyt....

Because thats exactly what Doom TOLD him to do, so it stayed comic book accurate

Reed wins the day but Victor lives to fight again :wow: #Layers

mrvaughn

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
again you are imagining shyt that I said. I did not say he got popular BECAUSE he died, that would be stupid as hell cause how many rappers have died? but he has blown up significantly SINCE he died. and man it's clear there's no way you were aware of his numbers before he died. yes rap snitches was one of his more popular songs but the reason it is where it is now is because it blew up on tiktok after he died. all of his fans recognize this so I really don't know what you're trying to argue here

This info is a good illustration of the objective ballooning of DOOM’s popularity since his passing.

He was the biggest underground rapper that’s for sure. But if you asked anyone in real life they would have no idea who he was.

Nowadays though you can mention his name in real life and there’s a decent enough chance that they will have at least heard of him.

The numbers don’t lie.

• Dap

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
It wasn't after his death. A poster tried to argue me down about this recently:russ:

Doom is a very popular rapper and a lot of his black fans don't seem to understand why.

The bulk of Doom's popularity stem from his relationship with Adult Swim. Millions of people were exposed to Doom on almost a night basis for years. Also his album with Danger Mouse, which was only available on the Adult Swim website, was an early precursor to the indie/blog era

Doom also has a large female fan base, or at least larger than a lot of nikkas expect. His quirkiness and sample choices created a oddly female friendly aesthetic

I can go on but a lot of people are stuck to this idea of Doom being a staunchly underground rapper and he's anything but. The Doom gatekeepers are the last ones to realize this:mjlol:

And since you brought up the views of that Iceberg vid, take a look at Doom's most popular songs. Rap Snitches has 44 million views:wow: all Caps has 18mil and son on

People think hip hop revelency revolves around just the club.. Doom with that Adult Swim deal was a big deal for him. Spots on Adult Swim beats paying Funk Flex 40k for a bomb on your record anyday of the week

mrvaughn

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As there will be a lot of eyes of new fans on this thread, I may as well add some unreleased stuff here that is either confirmed or had been mentioned by DOOM, or another artist, before he passed…

Not including the tracks we already have examples of on YouTube etc…

DOOMStarks

Madvillainy sequel Madlib working on

Unreleased Czarface album

DOOM x Nottz album (3 tracks with Nottz & 9 tracks with 3 other producers).

Tracks with Mos Def

1 Westside Gunn x DOOM track

FlyLo x DOOM EP

“New Material” from Jake One x DOOM

Unreleased J Dilla tracks

KMD - Mental Illness

KMD - Crack in Time

Collab album with “well known producer”

Possible Robert Glasper collab material.

King Geedorah 2 (mentioned by DOOM in a UK interview. Who knows if genuinely real)

Viktor Vaughn 3 (also mentioned by DOOM the UK interview. Who knows if genuinely real)

Essential Elements

Williams Street album

Bonus:
2 Your Old Droog x Mr Fantastik tracks

1x Kurious x Mr Fantastik track

1x Mr Fantastik album

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: HTF

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
As there will be a lot of eyes of new fans on this thread, I may as well add some unreleased stuff here that is either confirmed or had been mentioned by DOOM, or another artist, before he passed…

Not including the tracks we already have examples of on YouTube etc…

DOOMStarks

Madvillainy sequel Madlib working on

Unreleased Czarface album

DOOM x Nottz album (3 tracks with Nottz & 9 tracks with 3 other producers).

Tracks with Mos Def

1 Westside Gunn x DOOM track

FlyLo x DOOM EP

“New Material” from Jake One x DOOM

Unreleased J Dilla tracks

KMD - Mental Illness

KMD - Crack in Time

Collab album with “well known producer”

Possible Robert Glasper collab material.

King Geedorah 2 (mentioned by DOOM in a UK interview. Who knows if genuinely real)

Viktor Vaughn 3 (also mentioned by DOOM the UK interview. Who knows if genuinely real)

Essential Elements

Williams Street album

Bonus:
2 Your Old Droog x Mr Fantastik tracks

1x Kurious x Mr Fantastik track

1x Mr Fantastik album
It's wild how many alleged projects and rumors sprouted up between 2005-2008 only for nothing to come out. We got Born Like This in 2009 and then everything died down again until the Kuffs album a few years later. Just such a weird way for DOOM to disappear so much. I initially figured something must be coming since indie labels surely were offering $$$ but it just never happened. He had that big period of activity in 2004/2005 and then largely was gone (besides the instrumental releases).