MF Doom's quietly putting up numbers postmortem..... Both Madvillainy and MM..Food are Gold and Rap Snitch Knishes is Platinum!

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love almost everything he did but when he starts rapping in Beef Rap I just :whoo: :wow: :blessed::ahh::banderas::leon::whew:

every damn time.

And I can’t turn it off. I have to listen to the whole damn album.

Then that last verse

What up?
To all rappers, shut up with your shuttin' up
And keep your shirt on, at least a button up
Yuck, is they rhymers or strippin' males?
Outta work jerks since they shut down Chippendales
They chippin' nails, DOOM, chippin' scales
Let alone the pre-orders that's counted off shippin' sales
This one goes out to all my people skippin' bail
Dippin' jail, whippin' tail and sippin' ale
Light the doobie 'til it glow like a ruby
After which they couldn't find the villain like Scooby
He's in the lab on some old Buddha Monk shyt
Overproof drunk shyt, who'd have thunk it?
Punk, try and ask why ours be better
Could be the iron mask or the Cosby sweater
Yes you, who's screwed by the dude on the CD, nude

:damn:
Never forget when Yasiin took time out of his studio session just to recite this and other classic DOOM verses like Rap Snitches :ohlawd:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol I never said doom was some obscure unknown guy bruh. odd future being stans of him when they were hot made sure of that. every rapper gets more popular after their death. you see a ton of people online who are now into his music who didn’t know about him before he passed. I know for sure his stream numbers were never like this before and all his shyt been on streaming for a minute
And my point is he's still more popular than you're presenting, even before his death. I've been having this "Doom is a popular rapper" debate a lomy time and the black/underground hip hop side of Doom fans tend to underestimate how popular he's been in the 2010s.

I remember when nikkas was mad about Drake tweeting Doom lyrics. I remember when nikkas was mad about Kylie Jenner wearing the Doom Dunks. I've been telling nikkas about Doom's high YouTube views and streaming numbers for years. This shyt didn't just happen after his death

Also nikkas overplay how much of a boost death causes for artists. Do nikkas numbers go up after they die? Yes but dying has no retention rate. I can name you 20 rappers who died and after that week of boosted numbers, shyt regressed right back to where it is. Attributing so much of Doom's popularity and high streaming to his death is unfair to the effectiveness of his talent. That's why I always fight back against these ideas

You don't gain or maintain the popularity Doom has by dying

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
Doom also has a large female fan base, or at least larger than a lot of nikkas expect. His quirkiness and sample choices created a oddly female friendly aesthetic
Interesting.

He used to be considered a rapper who "scares the hoes" like other boom bap or lyrical rappers like Griselda or Tech N9NE.

Didn't know he had a female audience like that.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It wasn't after his death. A poster tried to argue me down about this recently:russ:

Doom is a very popular rapper and a lot of his black fans don't seem to understand why.

The bulk of Doom's popularity stem from his relationship with Adult Swim. Millions of people were exposed to Doom on almost a night basis for years. Also his album with Danger Mouse, which was only available on the Adult Swim website, was an early precursor to the indie/blog era

Doom also has a large female fan base, or at least larger than a lot of nikkas expect. His quirkiness and sample choices created a oddly female friendly aesthetic

I can go on but a lot of people are stuck to this idea of Doom being a staunchly underground rapper and he's anything but. The Doom gatekeepers are the last ones to realize this:mjlol:

And since you brought up the views of that Iceberg vid, take a look at Doom's most popular songs. Rap Snitches has 44 million views:wow: all Caps has 18mil and son on
You on point with the female fan base comment, I know someone who named their kid Doom (middle name)

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting.

He used to be considered a rapper who "scares the hoes" like other boom bap or lyrical rappers like Griselda or Tech N9NE.

Didn't know he had a female audience like that.
I find it hard to believe Doom was in that category for very long. I won't go too long winded about it but there's definitely a world of difference between Doom and say, a Griselda when we're talking about attracting female listeners

A lot of the "scaring the hoes" underground rappers have dark or dry sounding music. Doom's entire aesthetic, from the imagery to the lyrics, to the sample selection, is very colorful, and in the case of an album like Mmm...Food, very upbeat and quirky. It's easy to feel like all bytches listen to Cardi and Sexy Red, but they also drive, study, and chill at home and a good amount of them do it to Doom. I've witnessed this with my own eyes.

I think Doom's lacking for a lot lot of analysis on why he's as popular as he is. He has plenty of lyric breakdowns but there's no dedicated analysis on why his complete aesthetic is so appealing to so many demographics outside of the typical underground rap fan. Doom entails a lot of overlap between Internet culture, visual design, and humor metas that draw a lot of disparate people to him

Last edited:

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
And my point is he's still more popular than you're presenting, even before his death. I've been having this "Doom is a popular rapper" debate a lomy time and the black/underground hip hop side of Doom fans tend to underestimate how popular he's been in the 2010s.

I remember when nikkas was mad about Drake tweeting Doom lyrics. I remember when nikkas was mad about Kylie Jenner wearing the Doom Dunks. I've been telling nikkas about Doom's high YouTube views and streaming numbers for years. This shyt didn't just happen after his death

Also nikkas overplay how much of a boost death causes for artists. Do nikkas numbers go up after they die? Yes but dying has no retention rate. I can name you 20 rappers who died and after that week of boosted numbers, shyt regressed right back to where it is. Attributing so much of Doom's popularity and high streaming to his death is unfair to the effectiveness of his talent. That's why I always fight back against these ideas

You don't gain or maintain the popularity Doom has by dying
honestly bro I think you’re arguing something I didn’t even say because you got into fights with people who think doom is only popular because he died. I said he got a big boost and a bunch of new fans after he died. I got doom in my top 5 all time I will never deny his talent, but he objectively got MORE popular after he died. his music started going crazy on tik tok. he’s sitting at like 9 milly monthly listeners on spotify now, I remember checking a few years back and he was barely over 1 million. he did not have these plaques when he was alive. there’s even a mini-war between og doom fans and these new fans. obviously he has retained the audience cause he has a ton of material that’s endlessly re-listenable but you can’t deny his death being the thing that obviously sparked it for a lot of people

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
honestly bro I think you’re arguing something I didn’t even say because you got into fights with people who think doom is only popular because he died. I said he got a big boost and a bunch of new fans after he died. I got doom in my top 5 all time I will never deny his talent, but he objectively got MORE popular after he died. his music started going crazy on tik tok. he’s sitting at like 9 milly monthly listeners on spotify now, I remember checking a few years back and he was barely over 1 million. he did not have these plaques when he was alive. there’s even a mini-war between og doom fans and these new fans. obviously he has retained the audience cause he has a ton of material that’s endlessly re-listenable but you can’t deny his death being the thing that obviously sparked it for a lot of people
The only thing we're arguing is his popularity before his death.

His numbers weren't THAT low before he died

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
The only thing we're arguing is his popularity before his death.

His numbers weren't THAT low before he died
I never said he wasn’t popular bruh. everyone who was really into hip hop had at least heard of him. but he was not being listened to nearly this degree

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never said he wasn’t popular bruh. everyone who was really into hip hop had at least heard of him. but he was not being listened to nearly this degree
Yes but again you're attributing the bulk of his popularity to his death and it's just inaccurate

You're denying doing it but to say he was at barely over a million streams before his death and up to 9 million now is attributing his popularity to his death.

Doom been had millions on views and listens and again I know this because I've been having this exact debate for years

You think Rap Snitches has 44m views on YouTube because he died and it blew up? That song has always been popular.

You're not only understimating Doom's popularity, but what it takes to gain and retain the type of listenership(not a word) he has. Generic rapper death boost doesn't get you 9 million monthly listeners

Last edited: