Metroid Prime Remastered (February 8, 2023)

Daps
I sorta like the originals style a little more. Something about the shadows seem off with the remaster. Too bright maybe.

That new control scheme is what's drawing me in more than anything. I need to beat Dread before I get it though

Last edited:
Daps
I definitely will be playing this over the weekend. Was definitely in my top 10 gaming experience, need to see if it holds up. I was hoping for a trilogy but Nintendo already knows I'll buy them one at a time. Maybe we'll get a release every season with Prime 4 dropping for the holidays.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Never played the original and copped this the other day. Not really feeling it so far, but then again I've never really enjoyed dungeon crawlers. The lack of dialogue and clear objectives also take me out of feeling very invested in it. Seems like I'm the odd one out in my feelings, so perhaps it's me. Could someone explain the allure of this game?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Never played the original and copped this the other day. Not really feeling it so far, but then again I've never really enjoyed dungeon crawlers. The lack of dialogue and clear objectives also take me out of feeling very invested in it. Seems like I'm the odd one out in my feelings, so perhaps it's me. Could someone explain the allure of this game?

do you like any of the 2D metroid games?

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
It's very hard to get into. The game is a giant maze and really doesn't cick till around the ice area phendrana drifts. The first area, chozo ruins, is pretty tough. The goal is to first restore some of Samus' powers so you can get to other areas of the map. So for example, you need to restore her missiles in order to get past some doors. The greater objectives and lore is actually learned through scanning; which is a pretty unique way of story telling. You can use a walkthrough, but the satisfaction comes from being stuck at a puzzle and making progress. It's the type of game where you'll be stuck for half an hour, then make a little progress, then stuck again, then make a little more progress...

Three recommendations:

1. rely heavy on the map, it's a bit confusing to use but it's really you're best friend in navigating around the game.

2. If you're not good at remembering make notes: "this room I can't get through without a grapple hook" "I need the morph ball to get through this room"

3. Play close attention to the environment, look everywhere. Play on a big screen, especially if you don't have an OLED switch. I missed out on so many things in the environment because the game is dark and the og switch screen is straight garbage.

One last tip
4. Use the scanner!!! Scanner is one of your best tools, it will help you everywhere. Scan all the time, it's also important if you want to 100% complete the game.

You have to be very patient with the game, it's like solving a 1000 piece puzzle, once you solve it you'll be so satisfied and you'll see it as one of the best games you've ever played.

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
It's very hard to get into. The game is a giant maze and really doesn't cick till around the ice area phendrana drifts. The first area, chozo ruins, is pretty tough. The goal is to first restore some of Samus' powers so you can get to other areas of the map. So for example, you need to restore her missiles in order to get past some doors. The greater objectives and lore is actually learned through scanning; which is a pretty unique way of story telling. You can use a walkthrough, but the satisfaction comes from being stuck at a puzzle and making progress. It's the type of game where you'll be stuck for half an hour, then make a little progress, then stuck again, then make a little more progress...

Three recommendations:

1. rely heavy on the map, it's a bit confusing to use but it's really you're best friend in navigating around the game.

2. If you're not good at remembering make notes: "this room I can't get through without a grapple hook" "I need the morph ball to get through this room"

3. Play close attention to the environment, look everywhere. Play on a big screen, especially if you don't have an OLED switch. I missed out on so many things in the environment because the game is dark and the og switch screen is straight garbage.

You have to be very patient with the game, it's like solving a 1000 piece puzzle, once you solve it you'll be so satisfied and you'll see it as one of the best games you've ever played.

Dope. Yeah, I've restored a few powers in the ruins so far, but I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks for the big screen tip too, as I've been playing it handheld on an og switch this whole time

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm not big on it either, but the breh who described it as a 1000 piece puzzle hit the nail on the head

I liked dread, but I don't typically like metroid for the same reason I don't typically like zelda either. It's a blank canvas game that does the bare minimum, expects the players to "fill in the blanks", whether it's like you said a lack of dialogue, non speaking protags, bare minimum story, etc

We have sandbox games for that type of shyt now

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Dope. Yeah, I've restored a few powers in the ruins so far, but I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks for the big screen tip too, as I've been playing it handheld on an og switch this whole time
Trust me, I haven't played the game in 5+ years and only beat it once. So I forgot everything. While playing on og switch in portable mode I missed out on so much shyt, cause I couldn't see properly. I missed out on a somewhat vague and crucial platforming section in chozo ruins, and I ended up going around for like 20 minutes till I realized I missed it. I'm like nah I gotta play this on the big screen.

The game requires too much environment observation to play on that small dark screen.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
95 on metacritic :wow:

Too low. Yeah, I said it. :birdman:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

my dumb ass is gonna end up buying yet another switch and creating a new account to play this :snoop:

ironically I went thru this with the wii…buy it for a game, play/enjoy it, watch it literally sit and collect dust for months, sell it, buy it again a year later when another game I like drops lol smh