Men's USA Basketball vs Australia Showcase - July 15 on FS1 (12pm EST)

Who Many Does The US Team Win By?

• 5+ pts

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 10+ pts

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 20 + pts

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NBA needs to take away the defensive 3 second rule

FIBA has that rule to pack the paint, and it takes Team USA by surprise because they can't waltz in the lane like in the NBA. That's how Australia got back in the game. Team USA is not really loaded on 3 point shooters. And the ones who are knock down shooters are defensive liabilities
I cant ever see them doing that, they want offense. I am open to the rim deflecting though

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

FIBA has that rule to pack the paint, and it takes Team USA by surprise because they can't waltz in the lane like in the NBA. That's how Australia got back in the game. Team USA is not really loaded on 3 point shooters. And the ones who are knock down shooters are defensive liabilities
Another reason why it was a good idea to bring White. He's a really good catch and shoot 3 guy who can play defense.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Yea, any quality team they play will run an offense that involves Curry getting screened/mismatched and exploited, which compromises Team USA's greatest advantage in Olympic basketball: their defense.

Granted, that alone isn't enough to beat them but it gives teams breathable opportunities against what should be a suffocating defense.

I was about to say, this is the biggest rule. 2-3 zones are a foreign concept to NBA players. Like everyone knows what it is, but you have to actively make reads and set up passes to exploit it. They are far too removed from college.

Hell part of the reason Anthony Davis becomes so passive for the Lakers is because if the possession doesn't start with him posting up, the rest of his teammates outside of LeBron are either corner men or tunnel vision dudes with no synergy for multiple effort drives to draw the defense in and set up AD for the finish.

A close second as far as rules, is the no offensive interference once the ball hits the cylinder. NBA/American players instinctively freeze and wait for the ball to come off the rim. It's habit.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Another reason why it was a good idea to bring White. He's a really good catch and shoot 3 guy who can play defense.
Him and Jru Holiday tbh, because those two can be more cognitive to make multiple reads with their passes, since their nature isn't to be a scorer.

For example, someone like Devin Booker is infinitely more talented than Nic Batum, however if Booker ain't hitting his shots... he sometimes becomes a glorified corner man anyway, but one more likely to shoot a pull up contested jump shot or pick up his dribble and pivot to pass the ball out, than he will make the multiple effort (drive, kick, cut, reposition) plays to beat a 2-3.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I heard KDs injury might, embarrassingly, open up for JB again. If the US are looking shaky, fielding Boston plus a big man would probably by far be the safest and best team as far as team dynamics goes.

But obviously, that big man can’t be Embiid. I suspect that dude only works when you build the team around him.

This might be the first Olympics where the big dogs really aren’t in their prime. And the best player is a ball hogging dude who specializes in drawing soft (NBA) fouls

Last edited:

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I heard KDs injury might, embarrassingly, open up for JB again. If the US are looking shaky, fielding Boston plus a big man would probably by far be the safest and best team as far as team dynamics goes.

But obviously, that big man can’t be Embiid. I suspect that dude only works when you build the team around him.

This might be the first Olympics where the big dogs really aren’t in their prime. And the best player is a ball hogging dude who specializes in drawing soft (NBA) fouls
Wheres olynpic melo at

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
Wow that got shaky in the 2nd half... We might actually need KD again? He carried us in Tokyo never seen one of our USA teams get carried by a single player like that even though others like Jrue, Book, Tatum, Lavine chipped in there was a clear hierarchy which never happens for USA teams. Pop even said no KD no gold.

:mjlol: