Meltzer Stinks!

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

:ohhh: That can't be right, can it?

Media rights money is the only thing that makes any current live and traveling sports/sports entertainment product come anywhere close to being profitable.

I wouldn't even have the numbers for AEW to even begin to confirm or dispute that. Even Brandon Thurston's numbers he gives are estimates.

I'm having difficulty finding data for WWE in 2023 for the full year. Since they joined TKO, most of the earnings articles I can find talk about TKO as a whole and not broken down by UFC vs. WWE.

But for 2022, WWE's net revenue was $1,291.5 billion, of which $1,033.9 billion of that was media. That means media revenue accounted for 80.05% of their net revenue. Live events accounted for $123.1 million (9.53%) and consumer products (which I assume means all merch) $134.5 million (10.41%).

So yeah without media rights money WWE would be bleeding more than someone who slashed open their aorta with a chainsaw

But without media rights money it would be an entirely different operation, so it's kind of a pointless argument to have. It's like saying "Well the Chiefs wouldn't have won the Super Bowl this year without Patrick Mahomes." Well duh no shyt, but they did so what's the fukking point?

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Media rights money is the only thing that makes any current live and traveling sports/sports entertainment product come anywhere close to being profitable.

I wouldn't even have the numbers for AEW to even begin to confirm or dispute that. Even Brandon Thurston's numbers he gives are estimates.

I'm having difficulty finding data for WWE in 2023 for the full year. Since they joined TKO, most of the earnings articles I can find talk about TKO as a whole and not broken down by UFC vs. WWE.

But for 2022, WWE's net revenue was $1,291.5 billion, of which $1,033.9 billion of that was media. That means media revenue accounted for 80.05% of their net revenue. Live events accounted for $123.1 million (9.53%) and consumer products (which I assume means all merch) $134.5 million (10.41%).

So yeah without media rights money WWE would be bleeding more than someone who slashed open their aorta with a chainsaw

But without media rights money it would be an entirely different operation, so it's kind of a pointless argument to have. It's like saying "Well the Chiefs wouldn't have won the Super Bowl this year without Patrick Mahomes." Well duh no shyt, but they did so what's the fukking point?
It's why sports rights are so ridiculous now, it's also why they say these deals are good for the athletes new contracts.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Once the new NBA media deals kick in, there are going to be NBA players signing deals that pay them 100+ million a year.
Bradley Beal GIF - Bradley Beal Joueur De Basket Nba GIFs