Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

skillz2

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’d argue RZA is the most underrated producer. People REALLY gloss over how much he achieved in such a short period. I feel like RZA gas a true GOAT argument right up there with Dre, Kanye, and Q-Tip
I love a lot of Kanye's earlier work in the 00s I think that probably puts him somewhere between 10-15 maybe a bit higher. But what great beats has Kanye made recently? Does he even still make beats? RZA had a crazy run in the 90s and thats puts him up there whenever these discussions come up, so I don't think he's underrated as such - but longevity is important also.

I mean Pete Rock is still making great music 35 years deep in the game and Dr Dre's production on that Marsha album was kinda impressive as well - the real Kanye needs to come back to get back into that top 5 hip-hop producer discussion. I am looking forward to the LL and Tip project so maybe more people will give Tip some more credit providing the project matches expectations.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
missing some super classics

Not MAD at top 10-20 but the rest is wildly off

Where is legal drug money?

Why is madvillain here? Its one of my favs i wouldnt call it a ny album doom or not.

Almost no ug joints.

Not mad at infamous at 1 but HOE is the perfect MOBB album.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Leaving off One For All is basically a criminal act. Arguably should be Top 40.

Last edited:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
One for All is one of my favorite albums of all-time. That's Top 5 for me.

I wanted that album so bad when I was a kid, that I copped the bootleg from the dude who used to have the tapes on the towel on Broadway, for $3, when I was like in the first grade. LOL!! Untouchable classic! Haven't stopped playing that damn album in 30+ years.
Brand Nubian’s first album was everywhere. I remember it being a slow burn at first but by Spring 91, that cassette was coming out every car. It was bootlegged heavy too.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm definitely not mad at The Infamous being in the #1 spot. When you have multiple great albums against each other like this, it all becomes subjective & what you lean towards. So any of those albums on any given day could be #1.

To me personally, I lean towards LAD not only because of the impact but Big reaches some of the highest of highs on that album that very few could could even get close to. It's rapping & emceeing at the highest of levels

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I'm definitely not mad at The Infamous being in the #1 spot. When you have multiple great albums against each other like this, it all becomes suggestive & what you lean towards. So any of those albums on any given day could be #1.

To me personally, I lean towards LAD not only because of the impact but Big reaches some of the highest of highs on that album that very few could could even get close to. It's rapping & emceeing at the highest of levels
I agree. LAD or Illmatic would be my number 1. But not mad at the Infamous.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
One for All is one of my favorite albums of all-time. That's Top 5 for me.

I wanted that album so bad when I was a kid, that I copped the bootleg from the dude who used to have the tapes on the towel on Broadway, for $3, when I was like in the first grade. LOL!! Untouchable classic! Haven't stopped playing that damn album in 30+ years.
Bro, how many times did you used to run back Slow Down?? Over & over like me? :russ: