Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Oldheads hating on A Boogie and Pop Smoke on the list

Young nikkas hating on nikkas like AG and Cappadonna on the list

This is a representation of why NYC fell. The age divide

One of Meccapolis’ main purpose is to restore that by bringing light to the new NYC culture to older people and the older NYC culture to the younger people. In a curated way both parties can appreciate it better. Which is we hired the art director we did to help illustrate it. New York never really died. Pop Smoke showed that

One regret with the list (even though it’s already finished) is we have to do more research on the younger artists

Drill shyt and the soho shyt

We’ll get there

NY fell off because they couldn't write good songs once the r&b singer hook thing phased out (besides 50), and because the city stifled the club/venue scene while ATL/LA/Midwest/etc didn't have that problem. Their radio was also run by guys who deliberately refused to play NY artists. I also think a lot of their artists struggled to appeal to east coast dudes who expect you to look/sound like Nas/Jay/etc or else. Joey Badass managed to pop because he brought in some alternative black kids, white kids and a looooot of chicks. Same with ASAP. Whereas a lot of the NY shyt I fukked with at the time (Roc Marci, AG The Coroner, Maffew Ragazino, etc) didn't appeal to those groups, and they weren't fly enough for a lot of NY brehs.

I doubt we'll ever see a big NY (dude) rapper again.

DOSDUMUNI

Pass N' Fly Records
Daps
NY fell off because they couldn't write good songs once the r&b singer hook thing phased out (besides 50), and because the city stifled the club/venue scene while ATL/LA/Midwest/etc didn't have that problem. Their radio was also run by guys who deliberately refused to play NY artists. I also think a lot of their artists struggled to appeal to east coast dudes who expect you to look/sound like Nas/Jay/etc or else. Joey Badass managed to pop because he brought in some alternative black kids, white kids and a looooot of chicks. Same with ASAP. Whereas a lot of the NY shyt I fukked with at the time (Roc Marci, AG The Coroner, Maffew Ragazino, etc) didn't appeal to those groups, and they weren't fly enough for a lot of NY brehs.

Spot on.

I truthfully feel like NYC rap fell off due to older more established artists competing and shutting out the younger talent instead of grooming them.

That and the radio further pushing and supporting that narrative, leaving younger artists out in the cold and clinging to other regions like the South (ATL,MIA) and the Midwest (CHI).

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps

Those aren’t the only reasons.

Another reason is that new NYC producers are very one note. So the sound didn’t transcend the way it was supposed to. Drill was a good transition but drill gets dry fast bc all the drill producers sound the same. The best drill producer is from the UK

The other reason is the NYC OGs of Hip Hop won’t pass the crown to younger generation because they were too busy still rapping themselves. So the youth did it themselves and represented a new New York that the older people don’t like. Which causes an age divide.

This doesn’t happen in the south or west

Kendrick was immediately embraced by Game, Dre, Snoop, etc

ASAP Rocky was getting shytted on by the NYC elder statesmen initially

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I truthfully feel like NYC rap fell off due to older more established artists competing and shutting out the younger talent instead of grooming them.

This is exactly what it was.

The OG's who used to guide the newer artists, all left NYC and moved to other cities and states. Every new generation of MC's had to find their own way, after that. Back in the day, if you were new in NYC, you had established artists who would take you under their wing and help you navigate in both the studio and the streets. Today, if you're a new rapper from NY and just getting started, you're not gonna have that guidance and OG with you to help.

Every legend from the Golden Era had someone with them who was older and helping them to get on, and stay out of bullsh*t. Our OG's today who are from NY, don’t even live in NY anymore. They all moved to Cali or went South. Premier spoke on this recently too. And that's caused the newer generations to have to figure everything out on their own. They got left behind. Which is why the music is so trash now, and they can't seem to stay away from bullsh*t or getting killed. No guidance.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I don't think I can take the amount of BS I'm about to see placed over Masta fukking Ace :russ:

72 NY MC's :mjlol: I just know your team put Westside Gunn and Lloyd Banks and some other BS over Masta Ace.

Call me an old head, but I'm out :yeshrug:

Last edited:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
yall might as well add Yayo if you got Max B. Yayo actually HAD an album and had a hit.. and sold

Your hating on Max B is ridiculous. He was our last hope.

You talking about hits when his mixtapes where flying....he was blackballed still bubbling.....and helped craft 2 classics behind the scenes.

It was the mixtape era; nobody gave a fukk about "hits"

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Pop Smoke? A Boogie? What a joke of a list. How these dudes better rappers than AG

A.G. wasn't even nice. he had dope songs.

Isn't this an MC list? not a DOPE ALBUM/SONG list?

This is an MC list. Pop Smoke is 1000x better than A.G. as a rapper on every single metric.

He's also way more original.

Cats is on A.G's dikk cause he was down with DITC and apparently bout that shyt.

He sounded like 100 other rappers from that era.

Pop sounded like no-one.