Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You still have to take into account X put out two number 1’s in the same year, the second one moving 600K first week. Only three rappers in the 90’s were able to put out two platinum albums in the same year. Pac, X, and Nas and only two of them debuted both albums at number 1, Pac and X and X is the only one who did it while alive.

I think the argument could be made for either of them OR a tie. Matter of fact if any two rappers were to ever “share” the crown it would be X & Jay in 98.

Somebody else said earlier it came down to who “carried themselves” with the attitude of a King and if we judge by that criteria then its Jay. X was more gutter and his persona was honestly that he couldn’t be bothered to give a fukk. Nas cared. Jay cared. Biggie cared. X didn’t have that persona even though he was well within his rights to.
I hear you. And it’s close and there are valid arguments on both sides. I think it comes down to what you personally value the most. I look at Jay going 4x in 5 months and X never came close to that, so to me I go with Jay.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Eh.. this list has reached the who cares part of the rankings..lol

Based on all the people named. I only recognize 5 as ever being KONY

Run
LL
Biggie
Nas
Jay

Everyone else just had on fire moments

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Just give it to rocky again :yeshrug:
Nah he dropped an experimental album that wasn’t played at all in the city

It was Fab year somehow he’s not even a finalist but 50 Cent is :dwillhuh:

50 Cent KONY off Power and that one Chris Brown song :dwillhuh:

If not Fab he could have went with Nicki. Chinx was an outrageous pick.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Jay Z not even a finalist in 2017 after dropping one of the biggest albums of the year whole damn city wearing Paper plane hats and drinking Dusse

Invasion of Privacy dropped 2018 how did Cardi win :mjtf:

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Jay Z not even a finalist in 2017 after dropping one of the biggest albums of the year whole damn city wearing Paper plane hats and drinking Dusse

Invasion of Privacy dropped 2018 how did Cardi win :mjtf:

That was cause of DussePalooza, not Jay Z :mjlol:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
ALLA was the biggest rap album out of NY in 2015
No it wasn’t.

Technically the Pinkprint that dropped 4Q 2014 was.

Nd Rocky wasn’t played more than Fab not even close. That Friday night freestyles was coming out every car. Rocky dropped an experimental album no one played it. He was a star and did numbers in the general sense but as far as the city goes nah. At this time Rocky is living in London and making experimental music.