Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Yes.. It Was Written was the biggest NY album of 1996.. sales wise, street shyt, biggest single etc

We need to stop revising history, Biggie didn’t dominate from 1994-1997 with no clear cut competition.. Rae, Meth, Prodigy was in the mix as well.

Biggie needs to thank Puffy for working those remixes hard, cuz Ready to Die, contrary to popular belief wasn’t a huge smash right away.
He was though. You don't lose the crown because you don't drop. Plus Biggie was crushing everything with his remixes, Junior Mafia, etc...Biggie was that nikka in 1996 even without an album

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:snoop:
No. Em is a bad example
You went with the one white anomaly because you know you can't do that with any other Black rappers. The white audience that buys records give it to Em by default till this very day. Every Black rapper who blew up in mainstream did it with uptempo songs. That's why Party Up was Xs most successful song not his street shyt. Same with Jay Z. The same white audience that bought X's albums that went multi platinum in 1998 did not buy his last record and had him go platinum like they did Ems last few records because Em is the white exception to the rule. That's why you yourself can't name 1 Black rapper who blew up in mainstream without something that bumped in the club's. Not 1. Sounds like you are unfamiliar with this pattern because you are constantly challenging old news that I'm just repeating.
An album be successful with zero “club” hits.

Bickin Back Being Bool

The Devil My Opp
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto, Kanada
4252be55f4cabfe46049f1d9d664a53679d9b7ae.gif

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
I'm not one of those people comes down on dude for not even being from NY but I don't know how he can make a list like this without being on the pavement and living through the energy that king of NYC gets. Like I was outside when dudes like Buckshot, Raekwon,Prodigy, Method Man,DMX was on top of everybody's list but get downplayed because they didn't have Jay like careers. His 100 NYC rappers list didn't even have KRS-1 in the top ten but had G rap and Kane over him when KRS was bigger than them in their primes.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I'm not one of those people comes down on dude for not even being from NY but I don't know how he can make a list like this without being on the pavement and living through the energy that king of NYC gets. Like I was outside when dudes like Buckshot, Raekwon,Prodigy, Method Man,DMX was on top of everybody's list but get downplayed because they didn't have Jay like careers. His 100 NYC rappers list didn't even have KRS-1 in the top ten but had G rap and Kane over him when KRS was bigger than them in their primes.

I say this with No disrespect or malice

Yall gotta stop with that shyt

The best historic curators weren’t in the era they’re documenting

The people yall want to be the ones to do the historical documentation are better at being consultants. Which a lot of them work in conjunction with meccapolis

A lot of them themselves would suck at historical curation bc they get years mixed up or are too biased to be objective. OGs are the pinnacle of emotional and are almost unable to be objective. Look at how everybody is arguing about who was the real first rapper. We still have not gotten a unified answer

Its corny to tell young people to do their research on classics then shyt on them when they do the research but may be 10 to 20% off on some things

Let’s not play dumb and pretend like the early days of hip hop is properly documented. Because it’s not. Hasnt been since The Source fell off

Meccapolis is making an attempt to correct that on the NYC side of things. But it will involve him fukking up here and there because there is no solidified proper documentation of certain things and certain peoples legacies

I remember he tried to hit up Mr Cheeks to properly document the relationship between Lost Boyz the group, and Lost Boyz the street gang, and how it was the precursor of 50 Cent’s come up. Mr Cheeks kept saying he would schedule something but it never happened even though the dude who runs Meccapolis was persistent

If they did that meet, he probably would have been more aware that Legal Drug Money should have been on that list. (Even though “Renee” was EVERYWHERE when it came out when we were kids)

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Come on man. How the fukk you rank rakim number 2 all time and not even give him one of the yrs in the 80’s.

This nikka gonna redo this list too.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I told yall these nyggas nuts man

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
I say this with No disrespect or malice

Yall gotta stop with that shyt

The best historic curators weren’t in the era they’re documenting

The people yall want to be the ones to do the historical documentation are better at being consultants. Which a lot of them work in conjunction with meccapolis

A lot of them themselves would suck at historical curation bc they get years mixed up or are too biased to be objective. OGs are the pinnacle of emotional and are almost unable to be objective. Look at how everybody is arguing about who was the real first rapper. We still have not gotten a unified answer

Its corny to tell young people to do their research on classics then shyt on them when they do the research but may be 10 to 20% off on some things

Let’s not play dumb and pretend like the early days of hip hop is properly documented. Because it’s not. Hasnt been since The Source fell off

Meccapolis is making an attempt to correct that on the NYC side of things. But it will involve him fukking up here and there because there is no solidified proper documentation of certain things and certain peoples legacies

I remember he tried to hit up Mr Cheeks to properly document the relationship between Lost Boyz the group, and Lost Boyz the street gang, and how it was the precursor of 50 Cent’s come up. Mr Cheeks kept saying he would schedule something but it never happened even though the dude who runs Meccapolis was persistent

If they did that meet, he probably would have been more aware that Legal Drug Money should have been on that list. (Even though “Renee” was EVERYWHERE when it came out when we were kids)

Dude has LL as KONY in 1987 and Slick Rick as KONY in 1988. Eric B. and Rakim ran undeniably ran1987. Slick Rick's album didn't even come out until November 88 so how did he run NYC in 1988? KRS - One RAN NYC when the bridge is over came out. Run-DMC was on tour in 86.

Dude is just pulling names out his ass without any explanation of how he came to these conclusions.It's not about being accurate it's just about engagement and traffic to his page because he knows the more comments you get,the more the algorithm pushes you.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Dude has LL as KONY in 1987 and Slick Rick as KONY in 1988. Eric B. and Rakim ran undeniably ran1987. Slick Rick's album didn't even come out until November 88 so how did he run NYC in 1988? KRS - One RAN NYC when the bridge is over came out. Run-DMC was on tour in 86.

Dude is just pulling names out his ass without any explanation of how he came to these conclusions.It's not about being accurate it's just about engagement and traffic to his page because he knows the more comments you get,the more the algorithm pushes you.

You said he’s pulling names out his ass as if he called Kangol Kid from UTFO the KONY of 1987. LL as KONY in 1987 is debatable

And the “he’s driving engagement” argument is tired. And it’s one dimensional nikka shyt. Being controversial for engagement is only good short term but it’s bad long term. No brand who takes themselves seriously would risk that. And that page wouldn’t be what it is if it did cheap tricks like that