Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
What is your criteria? How does Nas get 96? Because Biggie didn’t drop? Biggie was the king the whole time.

Volume 2 Was more successful than any of the DMX albums from 98-99
In real time Volume 2 and Then There Was X basically did the same (Then There was X went 5x Platinum within 14 months. Volume 2 went 5X Platinum in 20 months)

Volume 2 didn't go 6X platinum until last year.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
You obviously didn't pay attention to what I said. I literally said X made records for the streets but he had those records for the club's as well. You're bringing up radio, I didn't say radio,I said the clubs. LL and Biggie had club records too. Nas had zero club records on his first 2 albums. You brought up X and Jay becoming mega Stars and it was because of those club records that made that happen. Club records that attracted the white crowd and MTV crowd. Even Hate Me Now was too street. DMX had an energy filled song on the blockbuster movie Any Given Sunday with Al Pachino in 1999. Nas didn't have blockbuster placement.
Well for 1, You don’t need “club” songs to blow up or else Eminem would be irrelevant :mjlol:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“Kings of New York”

🤣😂, that shhit always sounded so corny, lol. Just say “NY Rappers who had the most buzz/hits/love in NY” for this year and that year or whatever, lol. All of these nigs were jesters if you wanna be royal about it, lol, they entertain us and the actual Kings. Whatever tho, I’m admittedly being a dikk head, have fun, 🫡😆

DillaTUDE

Superstar
Daps
Honestly Jay Becoming king of NY is one of the biggest upsets in history.

Biggie was king from 94-97 then he died tragically. If I asked you on March 10th of 1997 who is gonna be the next guy, most people would say Nas. He was coming off a hugely successful multi plat album and was gonna drop the hyped firm supergroup record produced by Dre and Trackmasters that year.

Jay was independent in 96 and his album went gold which was a success but nobody thought he was gonna cross over to this extent even with the Def Jam deal in 97. Dmx didn’t even get signed to def jam till 2 months after biggie died.

But by the end of the next year, Nas wasn’t even top 2 because Jay Z and DMX emerged as megastars in a way he never did.

Great points. Jay had to earn that spot, he wasn’t just blessed out the gate outright with 5 mics from The Source.

True underdog story, and kind of highlights why Nas was #3 on @Don Jesus list. He never had an era of pure dominance as NY’s undisputed king like a Jay, Ra or even Big

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
What is your criteria? How does Nas get 96? Because Biggie didn’t drop? Biggie was the king the whole time.

Volume 2 Was more successful than any of the DMX albums from 98-99

Yes.. It Was Written was the biggest NY album of 1996.. sales wise, street shyt, biggest single etc

We need to stop revising history, Biggie didn’t dominate from 1994-1997 with no clear cut competition.. Rae, Meth, Prodigy was in the mix as well.

Biggie needs to thank Puffy for working those remixes hard, cuz Ready to Die, contrary to popular belief wasn’t a huge smash right away.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yes.. It Was Written was the biggest NY album of 1996.. sales wise, street shyt, biggest single etc

We need to stop revising history, Biggie didn’t dominate from 1994-1997 with no clear cut competition.. Rae, Meth, Prodigy was in the mix as well.

Biggie needs to thank Puffy for working those remixes hard, cuz Ready to Die, contrary to popular belief wasn’t a huge smash right away.
So if you have the highest selling album of the year in NYC you are the king of NY that year?

I just wanna get this right, because then I’m trying to see how Nas was number 1 in 94.

Daps
Can’t understate the importance of Big being able to work via Kim, Cease & JM in between albums.

Nas was a solo show with close collaborators but he wasn’t the impresario Big/Bad Boy/Undeas was

To make matters worse the beef with the hottest rapper in the world at the moment was seen as a 1v1 in the public

Nas made it to the party but that doesn’t change BIG was top dog

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

Yeah, them remixes were crucial. The Original One More Chance is skippable as fuhk

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Well for 1, You don’t need “club” songs to blow up or else Eminem would be irrelevant :mjlol:
:snoop:
No. Em is a bad example
You went with the one white anomaly because you know you can't do that with any other Black rappers. The white audience that buys records give it to Em by default till this very day. Every Black rapper who blew up in mainstream did it with uptempo songs. That's why Party Up was Xs most successful song not his street shyt. Same with Jay Z. The same white audience that bought X's albums that went multi platinum in 1998 did not buy his last record and had him go platinum like they did Ems last few records because Em is the white exception to the rule. That's why you yourself can't name 1 Black rapper who blew up in mainstream without something that bumped in the club's. Not 1. Sounds like you are unfamiliar with this pattern because you are constantly challenging old news that I'm just repeating.

Daps
:snoop:
No. Em is a bad example
You went with the one white anomaly because you know you can't do that with any other Black rappers. The white audience that buys records give it to Em by default till this very day. Every Black rapper who blew up in mainstream did it with uptempo songs. That's why Party Up was Xs most successful song not his street shyt. Same with Jay Z. The same white audience that bought X's albums that went multi platinum in 1998 did not buy his last record and had him go platinum like they did Ems last few records because Em is the white exception to the rule. That's why you yourself can't name 1 Black rapper who blew up in mainstream without something that bumped in the club's. Not 1. Sounds like you are unfamiliar with this pattern because you are constantly challenging old news that I'm just repeating.

Somebody who actually lived it

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
How many kings can one really say there were?

So far the only NY MC who I can honestly say fulfilled that role fo real was Biggie

Nobody else hit the same. Including Jayz and Nas.
Yeah there wasn’t a king every year

In fact there’s probably only been a few “kings” All-Time like 50, Big, Run DMC as a group

Idk why this is such a thing in NY rap discourse