MC Hammer is the hero we didn't deserve.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Y’all confusing gangsta with being conscious. Public Enemy was the biggest act in hip hop at Hammers peak. Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, the NOI, HBCUs were what the youth was on back then. So Hammer came off corny as a result. He got dissed for the same reasons New Jack Swing got dissed. Don’t get me wrong I was a Hammer fan all up until his third album. But I was a kid. All the older teenagers I knew like my sister and cousins couldn’t stand the dude. I do feel like his legacy has been forgotten somewhat tho which is a shame

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Y’all confusing gangsta with being conscious. Public Enemy was the biggest act in hip hop at Hammers peak. Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, the NOI, HBCUs were what the youth was on back then. So Hammer came off corny as a result. He got dissed for the same reasons New Jack Swing got dissed. Don’t get me wrong I was a Hammer fan all up until his third album. But I was a kid. All the older teenagers I knew like my sister and cousins couldn’t stand the dude. I do feel like his legacy has been forgotten somewhat tho which is a shame

New Jack Swing is some of the best music to ever grace the world, anyone clowning it is a goofy.
:manny:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
New Jack Swing is some of the best music to ever grace the world, anyone clowning it is a goofy.
:manny:
That shyt was garbage for the most part. Everybody took Teddy Riley’s sound. Outside of Guy, Keith Sweat and a few others that shyt was mad disposable which is why it didn’t last that long

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Yeah the rappers today are sell outs as well...

You youngsters don’t understand... back in the day there was NO money in hip-hop and to accept a CORPORATE endorsement meant that you were letting the SUITS into the culture, the culture vultures. When the culture vultures invade the culture they sanitize, appropriate, and “white bread” the culture.

Hip-hop in the 80s and early 90s was about the art form NOT selling yourself out for crumbs from the vulture’s table...

I'm not a youngster man lol. I grew up in the 80s and came into manhood in the 90s.

And you're wrong. Snoop tupac and them were doing st. Ides commercials in the early 90s and if I sat here and thought about it I could name quite a few more. Corporate money just hadn't saturated hip hop yet like it has today.

Hammer was one of the first rappers to have huge crossover success and become a megastar. Will Smith was probably the first but he went to acting full time and didn't go broke like Hammer.

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
I'm not a youngster man lol. I grew up in the 80s and came into manhood in the 90s.

And you're wrong. Snoop tupac and them were doing st. Ides commercials in the early 90s and if I sat here and thought about it I could name quite a few more. Corporate money just hadn't saturated hip hop yet like it has today.

Hammer was one of the first rappers to have huge crossover success and become a megastar. Will Smith was probably the first but he went to acting full time and didn't go broke like Hammer.

Right?! nikkas had Sprite Obey Your Thirst Voltron commercials, etc. but wanted to act like Hammer was a sellout because he did it first. Peep these “real hip hop” nikkas selling soda, video games, etc.

Etc.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Yeah the rappers today are sell outs as well...

You youngsters don’t understand... back in the day there was NO money in hip-hop and to accept a CORPORATE endorsement meant that you were letting the SUITS into the culture, the culture vultures. When the culture vultures invade the culture they sanitize, appropriate, and “white bread” the culture.

Hip-hop in the 80s and early 90s was about the art form NOT selling yourself out for crumbs from the vulture’s table...

I gotta call bullchit on this...not on you personally, but I remember this being the whoompty whoomp dudes was talking on Hammer.

The truth is, Hammer was never really accepted by "hip-hop".

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
We were too immature / young to appreciate him ...

An underrated man ...

But I can not forgive him for that Speedo/ thong video:scust: ...