Matt Damon explains why the Movie scene is formulaic and mostly trash now.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
It's easy to say that from your couch. You about to make that 100 million dollar gamble ?
don't need to gamble, just needs to give the people what they want.

When i was a chef i could spend all day arguing with a customer that i know better than them when it comes to quality meals but ultimately if i wanted their business i had to put cheese on half the menu and ruin expensive steaks cooking them well done.

art is even more subjective than food, just because he has a higher opinion of quality cinema doesn't mean that how it should be, and it definitely doesn't mean thats how it is.
Tell him to toss some money into another jason bourne movie, crossover with John wick if he's afraid of gambles.
nobody cares that he can't make a billie off good will hunting

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
His peers argued that the Academy got too artsy and needed to expand the nominations to recognize the formulaic and trash movies

So which is it

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Absolute facts. Movies like Good Will Hunting, A Bronx Tale, or Juice would not be able to be made in 2024
Eh, they can be, but it won't be backed by major studios. They will be Tubi-fied which limits scope, talent, and appeal. Its like when you say "Hip hop sucks" and people start naming a buncha underground folks who don't get their albums mixed right. There might be gems but they all lack polish and have to sacrifice so much that folks will judge that book by it's cover.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's easy to say that from your couch. You about to make that 100 million dollar gamble ?
If I really believe in it yeah I would throw $50 mil (relatively speaking of course) at it. That said plenty of movies get made for less than that. If Matt Damon and Michael Douglass wanna make a movie aint nothing stopping them if they really want to do it :dame:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eh, they can be, but it won't be backed by major studios. They will be Tubi-fied which limits scope, talent, and appeal. Its like when you say "Hip hop sucks" and people start naming a buncha underground folks who don't get their albums mixed right. There might be gems but they all lack polish and have to sacrifice so much that folks will judge that book by it's cover.
Its never been easier to make a movie. Everybody and they mama making movies today. The movies listed in the post you quoted were all cheap films. Studios will still take on low risk projects. May not get theatrical release or on the same scope but they can get made. Just look at some of the random titles popping up on whatever platform you use.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its never been easier to make a movie. Everybody and they mama making movies today. The movies listed in the post you quoted were all cheap films. Studios will still take on low risk projects. May not get theatrical release or on the same scope but they can get made. Just look at some of the random titles popping up on whatever platform you use.
But thats the thing, if they are even smaller releases, most people simply won't know about them. Even the movies listed were blessed by the talent they drew to act in them AND the fact that movies were not something everyone could do. Think of how Protools turned everyone into a producer and it was no longer necessary to have ensemble bands or a live musician to capture a snare or guitar riff that you want. Have there been excellent computer-only produced albums? fukk yes. But then there is a sea of mediocre by nature of ease-of-access. Same with movies.

As I said, these things will get tubi-fied and unless rich folks bankroll them, passion projects will get few eyes and amazing concepts will go underappreciated.

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
I think the real issue is that Hollywood-produced films have lost that gritty, surreal, etc aesthetic that was once prevalent throughout filmmaking during the 70s, 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s.

Movies and their lesser quality sequels within the franchises during those years felt more different, more classic, more grandiose, and more authentic, but nowadays, most movies and franchises feel cheap and not as satisfying for moviegoers.

A lot of modern-day filmmakers and writers aren't very good and are just rehashing the same script over and over again. Sure, remakes and sequels have always been a thing, but there was and is a difference in the overall feel for past and present franchises.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But thats the thing, if they are even smaller releases, most people simply won't know about them. Even the movies listed were blessed by the talent they drew to act in them AND the fact that movies were not something everyone could do. Think of how Protools turned everyone into a producer and it was no longer necessary to have ensemble bands or a live musician to capture a snare or guitar riff that you want. Have there been excellent computer-only produced albums? fukk yes. But then there is a sea of mediocre by nature of ease-of-access. Same with movies.

As I said, these things will get tubi-fied and unless rich folks bankroll them, passion projects will get few eyes and amazing concepts will go underappreciated.
This is true but its not as much of an issue when you got stars on the level of Damon and his buddies. People are gonna invest in them, advertise them, and people are gonna find them.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

.....So those type of movies wouldn't have been made in 2024

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
.....So those type of movies wouldn't have been made in 2024
The type can be made. There isn't a doubt that you can find talents on the level of Matt Damon and Robin Williams and have something similar to Good Will Hunting without the star power. The same script and most of the delivery can be exact but then you would mostly appeal to movie buffs and not "Hey, I saw Robin Williams in this movie. Want to go?" without even knowing what the movie is about. Good films flop all the time only to become a cult classic down the line for whatever reason as proof of this.

Last year I saw a local production of Little Shop of Horrors and it was amazing. It did not however have any major backing or anyone famous so it wouldn't get the eyes that the original adaptations got.