Mathematics, reading skills in unprecedented decline in teenagers

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, the difference between how kids were in even the 2000s and how they are today is profound. If you just spent 1-2 days in the classroom with them (or look objectively at those test scores) you would see it. Has nothing to do with social passing, there's way more social passing now than ever before due to Covid and that's not really here or there in causing or fixing the problem.

The fact you talk about "they're/their/there" is indicative. If that was the sort of spelling mistake I was worried about right now I'd be overjoyed. These students regularly misspell four-letter words on quizzes and tests, they can't even spell words that don't sound anything like each other. Since they don't read at all and their lives are built around either social media / texting (where spelling is irrelevant) or using google / chatgpt to give them the answers (where the spellings are all just copied), they virtually never work on their spelling at all.
Man, that is kind of scary and very sad.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Do homework with your kids
If your stupid use chat gpt
If your to dumb for chat gpt use county resources for tutoring programs
Firm consequences for leaving homework at school.
Firm consequences for poor grades and missing assignments
Assignments listed in an organizer of some kind Checked daily.
30 minutes of reading a night on school days
Rewards for good grades.
No electronics during the week

You get out what you put in.

:yeshrug:

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

People too busy trying to be comedians and class clowns at best, dropouts at worst.

People yap too much nowadays. All anyone ever does is run their mouth now.

The problem is other people aren't going to slow down and wait for anybody to catch up. Private school they call your house if you don't turn in your homework, they give you detention if you do not turn in three homework assignments, you turn in your notebooks you take notes in during class so the teachers can tell you're paying attention, etc. You are legit monitored and put back in line. Even public schools out in good neighborhoods don't do that type of stuff.

If private schools are still doing that while these other kids let their phone and clout chasing do them in, there's going to be a big gap in ability, brain development and study skills going into college. It's not only on the school system either.

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
A lot of schools have kids working off a computer or tablet. That doesn't work. Children need to learn reading, writing and mathematics through real world application. This is especially important for boys. When I was in school we did math with an abacus or blocks. We used to write into templates.

Also as parents we need to do that stuff outside a classroom setting.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
You can either make sure your children value an education and knowledge of the world around them or you can give them a tablet and a smartphone while they compete with an ever increasingly difficult job market that is now bearing witness to automation and AI.

The Asian Parents buy their kids gifts but they in Kumon from Day One. They're reading and writing above their grade level and are mapping out their careers in 8th Grade because they know the competition is FIERCE starting in day one of 9th grade.

fukk around if you want to.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You can either make sure your children value an education and knowledge of the world around them or you can give them a tablet and a smartphone while they compete with an ever increasingly difficult job market that is now bearing witness to automation and AI.

The Asian Parents buy their kids gifts but they in Kumon from Day One. They're reading and writing above their grade level and are mapping out their careers in 8th Grade because they know the competition is FIERCE starting in day one of 9th grade.

Once AI comes in, the unemployment rates in all 1st world countries will be over 40%.

Not everyone is going to be Tony Stark for a paycheck slightly above poverty wages.

I agree that reading to your kids is essential in their younger years, because once they stop being curious, THEY WILL NEVER VOLUNTARILY PICK UP A BOOK AGAIN. Its a small window, and parents gotta cram as much as they can in that short time when the young kid wants to learn.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Once AI comes in, the unemployment rates in all 1st world countries will be over 40%.

Not everyone is going to be Tony Stark for a paycheck slightly above poverty wages.

I agree that reading to your kids is essential in their younger years, because once they stop being curious, THEY WILL NEVER VOLUNTARILY PICK UP A BOOK AGAIN. Its a small window, and parents gotta cram as much as they can in that short time when the young kid wants to learn.
Straight facts.
Not furthering a child's education at the home is a form of child abuse, imo

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps

Someone on this forum told me making kids study is brainwashing :snoop:

Studying is the easiest part of life when it’s a community value

GooPunch

Pro
Daps
Bumping this to point coli breh @WIA20XX tried to put us on game to this earlier this year. In the case of reading, schools and teachers need to share the blame rather than dumping this all on the parents or students.

Or how we didn't get hooked on phonics.

Keep in mind most of the kids in the stories are children of middle and upper class white people.
They have basically been teaching the kids to guess the words. It has been going on for a few decades now. It only recently came out to the public that this was going on. I think everyone just assumed schools were teaching kids phonics. Many weren't.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Bumping this to point coli breh @WIA20XX tried to put us on game to this earlier this year. In the case of reading, schools and teachers need to share the blame rather than dumping this all on the parents or students.

They have basically been teaching the kids to guess the words. It has been going on for a few decades now. It only recently came out to the public that this was going on. I think everyone just assumed schools were teaching kids phonics. Many weren't.

High Stakes Testing is another big culprit here that combines with this.

If you can barely read, because of "whole language" and then you're tested only on "excerpts and portions" - getting into college and then trying to get through Plato's Republic will be impossible. Low key, they've been dumbing down college since the GI Bill, but that's neither here nor there.

College is now an academic trade school, and that's how regular people use it.

A lot of folks can't put together longer form projects because they have not been taught to consume it, much less produce it.

Facebook, and the Instagram, then Snap Chat, and finally Tik Tok - has basically move generations into endless scrolling for hits of digital dopamine. Consume, consume, consume.

And I'm talking about white people.

Not trailer park Trump voters, but the White people that have college educations and send their kids to "good" public schools. The ones that watch PBS and listen to NPR.

It's 10x worse if you're Black and Middle Class.
It's 100X worse if you're Black and Working Class.
1000x worse if your parents DGAF.

That said, if regular folks understand how impoverished the landscape is - they can profit.

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
The blame is all on the parents. These parents raise insufferable kids, and that makes teachers not care enough about them to put out more than the bare minimum to help these children and bond with them. Then when they go home, their parents just let them play video games and watch tiktoks all night.

My little cousin is a cool kid, does his homework before anything, and has to read before his bedtime.

Don't wanna bad mouth my niece, but... :huhldup:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I agree that all schools should teach phonics as part of the reading curriculum. I've yet to see the slightest evidence that lack of phonics was responsible for national declines in learning - I haven't seen any evidence based on school vs. school breakdowns OR any evidence that it fits the timeline at all.

Look at this graph again.

chart.png

The drop came very suddenly in the 2010-2013 range (well after the reading wars had heated up) and occurred across the majority of OECD nations, including many that never moved away from phonics in the first place.