Mathematics, reading skills in unprecedented decline in teenagers

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Breh, you're confirming what I said not disputing it. You're saying that those "real mathematicians" put their full effort forward on the things that interested them and slacked off when it didn't. She was the opposite - she put forth her effort to get A's in classes she didn't even care about and avoided even taking the classes that interested her. THAT is what I am talking about, the desire to prioritize grades over the subject matter, not their GPA at the end.

She purposely avoided classes that were interesting in order to maintain her 4.0 GPA, and then got bored by the classes she did take. What a surprise lol.

And not only is management consulting a pathetic sellout job (especially for someone like her who seems sort of anti-capitalist), she didn't even like that management job, she quit during her 2nd year to focus on youtubing and tutoring.
Nah breh, you have it backwards. She was directly in her ChE lab/research courses and shifted from that point, that's why she chose consulting. She was bored in those classes and couldn't see her doing that the rest of her life. I'm not proving your point, I think you're missing it.

Also it's funny, the fact that you and others who are probably reading this thread know more about how much people do to get into these universities that they didn't know before goes to show how much more impact she had on the world choosing her path that she did. She instead could've ended up getting talent hoarded and stashed by some major company so she doesn't become competition for them, like is the case for many of these Caltech and M.I.T graduates and a trend that has been at an all-time high in the job market.

Instead, she's directly affected people here and millions of others. She's on red carpets for pushing actual content encouraging people to excel in school and giving them the tools for learning STEM. That's exactly an example of the type of students Caltech wants some more of.

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Education is a pursuit and it's proven there's it's hard to reach anyone that doesn't want to learn.
I believe there's a critical period when a kid is real young where parents can motivate kids to learn or encourage learning. If you miss that window it probably just downhill from there

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I've always said there's a reason they say it takes a village. Parents and teachers have to collaborate.
100%

The kids who make the biggest strides and have it the easiest are those who have parents with a strong educational background. That's the reality. They have direct access to a source that knows things like Math and Science at the highest levels.

That's why parents who don't have that type of background work hard in order to provide their kids with the opportunity to finish college and get the ball rolling. They need to fight against odds to install the right values into their kid so that they can have something they never did. That's an all too common story.

The problem is that many times the culture their kids are surrounded by is tough: their kids are around kids who's parents don't care or care about other things (entertainment/athletics) and those kids think school is lame. So these parents got to work extra hard on their kid and extra hard at their job to get the right values installed.

Last edited:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
This is crazy.
I was in a dollar tree after Helene came Through in NC. The card machines were down. And almost everything in town was Cash only. there was a young lady in line paying out ( younger than 25 ) and could not count physical money. But had paper money on her. HOW SWAY? She has only paid by cel phone. The cashier had to help her out. This girl could not read or count. I told the cashier when it was my turn to pay out I would have taken a $50 bill from her and gave her $1 and some change back. :russ:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
This is crazy.
I was in a dollar tree after Helene came Through in NC. The card machines were down. And almost everything in town was Cash only. there was a young lady in line paying out ( younger than 25 ) and could not count physical money. But had paper money on her. HOW SWAY? She has only paid by cel phone. The cashier had to help her out. This girl could not read or count. I told the cashier when it was my turn to pay out I would have taken a $50 bill from her and gave her $1 and some change back. :russ:

i recall seeing some illiteracy statistics for adults that had me like :mindblown:

how do you survive?! :gucci:

we should all be worried about the illiteracy rate in an information economy. :lupe:

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
My daughter is performing well in HS and is currently in the 11th grade. I was naturally gifted in English and grammar type of shyt, my daughter picked that up from me.

However, I was kinda bad at math outside of the basics. I fukkin HATE algebra, and my daughter is struggling with that also (I honestly think intelligence does translate to your kids because my mama is a Michigan State grad who got caught up by the crack epidemic and didn't get clean until she was 38. Me and my brother still got good grades and my aunt was not smart enough to help us out AT ALL).

I think classes like that, that has absolutely no learning benefit to 95% of career choices should not require a passing grade. Most people will never use Algebra in life and it should have absolutely no impact on your ability to pass or graduate.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Nah breh, you have it backwards. She was directly in her ChE lab/research courses and shifted from that point, that's why she chose consulting. She was bored in those classes and couldn't see her doing that the rest of her life. I'm not proving your point, I think you're missing it.

So she chose a major she didn't have real interest in, possibly because taking that major gives her rep among people like you who big-up it so much. (Since obviously a huge number of her personal decisions to that point had been about maintaining her repuatation).

She purposely avoided other courses that she DID have interest in because she heard they were hard and it would take too much work to maintain her 4.0. She straight up said that in the first video I watched of her.

Then, after having completed college for rep rather than for depth and not being at all interested in what she was doing, she ditched her entire career path and went into an entirely different, non-STEM field that was about as big a sell-out move as you can get.....which she proceeded to also quit after less than two years to do tutoring and youtubing.

You're really not going to convince me that she made the best use of her education or that she was a great use of Caltech's resources.

Also it's funny, the fact that you and others who are probably reading this thread know more about how much people do to get into these universities that they didn't know before goes to show how much more impact she had on the world choosing her path that she did.

There isn't one thing I learned from this thread that I didn't know before, these people have existed for 20 years and they're embarassing. :mjlol:

She instead could've ended up getting talent hoarded and stashed by some major company so she doesn't become competition for them, like is the case for many of these Caltech and M.I.T graduates and a trend that has been at an all-time high in the job market.

Once again proving what a joke this so-called "meritocracy" is or the idea that training these particular people rather than others is some great benefit to the world.

Instead, she's directly affected people here and millions of others. She's on red carpets for pushing actual content encouraging people to excel in school and giving them the tools for learning STEM. That's exactly an example of the type of students Caltech wants some more of.

From the Caltech perspective, what about her Caltech education plays any part in her content? Virtually everything she says regards stuff she already knew in high school. Nothing she talks about came from Caltech content. If Caltech really cared about pushing content like this, then why don't they teach it in any of their courses?

From the world's good perspective, do you seriously think her channel closes the educational gap or widens it? From looking at her content and reading the comments, I would bet you anything that she's widening the gap. Her content isn't designed for people who come from actual difficult situations and so far as I can tell she's done nothing to get to know those people. Instead, she's speaking to the people she knows with similar experiences to her but who haven't "cracked the code" yet. There's no sign that she has made any sort of moral/ethical shift while going from chem eng major to corporate stooge to youtuber, and it's not like she said in any of her videos that she had a change of heart about her life path. She said herself in the video that she saw youtubing as just another thing to succeed at.

Last edited: