Masters of Horror Face off :Craven or Carpenter? Poll closed.

Whose the best?

• Carpenter

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Craven

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • They ain't fukking wit me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
:martin:
giphy.gif
That shyt go hard :wow:

shyt slaps

when that shyt comes on somebody about to get that work :mjcry:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@Nicole0416 just read their list. So glad scream 4 is getting the love it should’ve gotten in 2011. Dude was always ahead of the curve. He always knew exactly where horror was going or where it needed to go and said “okay fukk it I’ll drive us there” which is one thing I love about Craven and his best flicks. Carpenter wasn’t as forward thinking from an idea standpoint but from a technical standpoint he was.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@Nicole0416 just read their list. So glad scream 4 is getting the love it should’ve gotten in 2011. Dude was always ahead of the curve. He always knew exactly where horror was going or where it needed to go and said “okay fukk it I’ll drive us there” which is one thing I love about Craven and his best flicks. Carpenter wasn’t as forward thinking from an idea standpoint but from a technical standpoint he was.
That's one of the issues that I have - I don't think people necessarily appreciated his contributions because back then, it was seen as "over the top" violence and gore by the mainstream audience. I view some of his movies as seminal from a creative, artsy standpoint - he wasn't afraid to tow the line between fear, culture, and applying that to concepts. When I was younger, I definitely didn't have the capacity to relate to his movies, like I do today. Like I mentioned before, had his movies had more of an "independent" following like we have today, I think he might have received the accolades that he has at the present time. Look at how much his ideas, stories, and innovation is basically copy cloned today.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's one of the issues that I have - I don't think people necessarily appreciated his contributions because back then, it was seen as "over the top" violence and gore by the mainstream audience. I view some of his movies as seminal from a creative, artsy standpoint - he wasn't afraid to tow the line between fear, culture, and applying that to concepts. When I was younger, I definitely didn't have the capacity to relate to his movies, like I do today. Like I mentioned before, had his movies had more of an "independent" following like we have today, I think he might have received the accolades that he has at the present time. Look at how much his ideas, stories, and innovation is basically copy cloned today.
Yeah he’s always gotten credit in horror circles and he’s lucky enough to have a name “regular folk” recognize. Plus he created probably the greatest boogeymen ever in Freddy. Also one of the greatest horror ideas ever with nightmare on elm st. But I think horror geeks do tend to look at him as “lesser” than people like Tobe Hooper or joe Dante or del toro, which I don’t think is fair to the guy. I think it’s just the curse of blowing up. This is the guy who made Scream and Freddy. He was pop culture. And you know how that goes :russ: the minute you really really blow up, people start to turn on you. Now that he’s gone though, it’s cool to be a craven fan again which also is really sad.

He’s a better idea guy than most of horror. Carpenter had those ideas too in Halloween, they live, and the thing, but the ideas always played the background. Craven put all that shyt upfront. Carpenters movies speak to me more but I’ll never shyt on Craven. He’s probably the most underrated master of horror

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I see it like this - Wes Craven and John Carpenter both do "monster" movies. Wes does the monster in human form (Freddy, Scream, Last House, Hills Have Eyes, Shocker etc) and John Carpenter does the "scary inhuman monster" format such as (The Thing, Ghost of Mars, The Fog, They Live etc). So in this case, we have monster people (psychological monsters of thier mind and the metaphysical) v people or things/people personified as monsters.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see it like this - Wes Craven and John Carpenter both do "monster" movies. Wes does the monster in human form (Freddy, Scream, Last House, Hills Have Eyes, Shocker etc) and John Carpenter does the "scary inhuman monster" format such as (The Thing, Ghost of Mars, They Live etc). So in this case, we have monster people v people personified as monsters.
Where do you put Michael on that list tho? Is he monster in human form or inhuman monster? Carpenter would say he’s the former

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where do you put Michael on that list tho? Is he monster in human form or inhuman monster? Carpenter would say he’s the former
:jbhmm: Human form - I say that because he is human, but he operates like a demon possessed person. He has no soul but he does have a heart, if that makes sense. He has a cold dark heart but it still beats. Which brings upon a horror movie question - are there people that are born inherently evil or is it the result of a series of traumatic events that made them turn cold. I think Wes Craven had the edge with that concept. Carpenter had more outliers.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:jbhmm: Human form - I say that because he is human, but he operates like a demon possessed person. He has no soul but he does have a heart, if that makes sense. He has a cold dark heart but it still beats. Which brings upon a horror movie question - are there people that are born inherently evil or is it the result of a series of traumatic events that made them turn cold. I think Wes Craven had the edge with that concept. Carpenter had more outliers.
I’ve always seen Michael as the boogeyman. That’s it. No soul. No nothing. Yes, the beating heart like you said, but he’s just evil. There’s no reasoning with Michael. He’s the shark from jaws. He just does shyt with no rhyme or reason. I think carpenter leans towards things being inherently evil and craven looks at the societal reasons for evil.

But that goes to Carpenters upbringing as well. He saw a lot of racism as a teenager and never tried to understand why; he just said “well fukk it these people are evil” and wasn’t trying to reason with them or feel for them. So Michael is a manifestation of that.

Wes, on the other hand, was raised as a Christian fundamentalist. And when he came of age he rebelled against that notion that people are born evil and became more interested in the why. Why do we believe what we believe? Why do people do foul shyt?

Carpenter dabbled a bit in that field with Christine and how the car affected Arnie but we never get an answer as to why the car is evil; shyt is just evil. You either buy it or you don’t.