Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) NO OPEN SPOILERS

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Digital Foundry: So is there anything else you want to wrap up with anything you're especially proud of in the game?

Mike Fitzgerald: I want to give a shout out to some of the mundane problems that you don't see like in the action, as you play the game, but are so important. Like I mentioned before, we have to fit this game on a Blu-ray disc, I mean, you can go for multiple Blu-rays, but the goal is to fit in on one. And this game, I want to say is only maybe 20 percent larger than Spider-Man Remastered as far as the disk size is concerned, but the amount of extra fidelity and quality and cinematics we packed in there is huge. And this factors into streaming and how we utilise that bandwidth as well. So, one example, we have a ton of animation data in this game, our faces are more detailed, the bodies are more detailed. One of the first things we showed was a cinematic with Kraven where he's hunting another hunter and he's kind of bored, because it's not challenging enough for him. And I think we made that cinematic and and the animation team animated the way they wanted - and it was like a gigabyte in size. This is a 30 second cinematic shot, it can't take up more than a full percent of the disk.

And so finding ways to take that data, our technically animation team came up with some awesome reverse skinning and joint setups and a lot of teams, a couple of folks in my department put a lot of work into understanding the Kraken compressor and how we can work with textures and things to just cram everything down small, fit it onto a disk, make sure people have a good sized download that's not too onerous to fit on their console and deliver something that I think you put it side to side, feels head and shoulders above the first game, and yet it's only like a little bit larger. So that's the behind the scenes thing that's fun, actually. You mentioned pedestrian and open world stuff. Vehicles have suspensions and behave differently. Now you see a lot more behaviour around pedestrians in cars, the pedestrians walking around the world can go in and out of buildings and shops, which they didn't do before. They have varying body sizes and their outfits are much more randomised and swapped around, so you get a lot more diversity of space and character. They have conversations with each other.

There's this whole modular conversation system where they can have a topic and discuss it and then one disagrees and the other knows how to disagree or change the topic. And you know, it's really fun to just sit and listen to people around the city have these sort of reasonable conversations with each other. As you walk around, there's all sorts of little touches. I'm excited for people to spend some time with the game, find random stuff, hopefully have some wow moments and 'how did they do that?' moments? And that's part of the fun of the new game, I guess!

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
I wished it looked flat black instead of shiny lol
i like insomniac's take on the symbiote. it's an alien life form, so giving it that texture down the side of the legs, bicep, and back of the neck was a nice touch. It's more creative than just coloring Peter's suit black, to me anyway :manny:

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
They really went all out on making you work out your controller. There's so many variable and changing button combinations to do all sorts of moves, movement and traversal options, that's all done on a whim and mostly always accessible to do pretty much anything you want, whenever. Like, all of the special moves/items can be done in mid air, every single traversal mechanic can done at essentially any time, mid fight or whatever and can all be done continuously in combos, real seamlessly. It's kinda crazy how it all comes together and yet never feels too complicated or overly convoluted either. I'm not 100% a fan of proximity contextual combat, but it works better than ever here.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
When old girl shows up and helps you fight
You go for the dap afterwards and she leaves you hanging

kid-look.gif

Last edited: