Marvel's bench held it down for awhile, but it's time for the starters

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
The MCU has done a fantastic job with getting a classic saga and making household names in large part out of characters the general population for the most part didn't care that much about. They struck gold with storylines and perfect casting that made that first wave of Avengers mega stars.

But with this recent wave of stuff being mid it's not really surprising, as they squeezed all they could out of 2nd and 3rd rate characters. Who really cares about Ant-Man, Wasp, and Guardians? 3 movies from each is plenty:yeshrug:

I know their hands are tied with what they can do with Spidey and Hulk, but I'll sit back and wait for them to develop these stories with the heavy hitters without expecting lightning to strike twice with back-ups

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Movies were all well received and had comparable box offices. So big characters or small can make box office and have acclaim. Maybe "popularity of characters' had little to do with it.
Shang chi DID NOT have a comperable box office to any batman or superman since batman begins. JOKER more than double shang chi’s box office.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all love blaming everything but the issue

Nikkas did care about Ant Man and Guardians. Nikkas LOVE Guardians honestly

The writing has taken a nosedive in Marvel and in the industry as a whole. Also the marvel formula has gotten beyond stale and Marvel is clearly ignoring the screams of CHILL WITH THE FUKKIN JOKES

You reduced it to Ant Man and Guardians like phase 4 hasn't been completely trash

And yes that includes overrated ass No Way Home

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I agree, in fact i only think these bench players worked initially because the avengers in comic canon at least are treated as the most popular heroes in the 616 world. so treating them like a listers in real life translated correctly. Iron man is supposed to be as well known as a billionaire. Cap is supposed to be a household name. They call their battles avengers level events for that reason. They supposed to be the top of the spectrum. the characters that aren't really on that level in either the real world or the comic world are the ones that have been mostly mid so far. Hulk can be brought to the same level as spiderman because he's supposed to be. she-hulk not so much

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Shang chi DID NOT have a comperable box office to any batman or superman since batman begins. JOKER more than double shang chi’s box office.
And no movie Batman and Superman since TDR has had a box office of Captain Marvel. Let's not nit pick, when Shang Chi dropped it was a critical and commercial success, considering the various variables surrounding it. Same with everyone else mentioned. I am even giving MoS points for hindsight word of mouth which was way more positive IMO than the reviews at the time it dropped.
Just saying, how popular a character is probably not why people are expressing dissatisfaction with recent Marvel releases.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
And no movie Batman and Superman since TDR has had a box office of Captain Marvel. Let's not nit pick, when Shang Chi dropped it was a critical and commercial success, considering the various variables surrounding it. Same with everyone else mentioned. I am even giving MoS points for hindsight word of mouth which was way more positive IMO than the reviews at the time it dropped.
Just saying, how popular a character is probably not why people are expressing dissatisfaction with recent Marvel releases.
:ufdup: YOU brought up that brick shang chi, not me. It has no purpose in a conversation with superman or batman. SUICIDE SQUAD almost doubled that movie’s box office :rudy:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Another reason your comparison doesn't work is because pre MCU Tony Stark was a B tier character

Good writing and story will elevate anyone

The writing and storytelling have gotten bad
Absolutey.

Also,
The Infinity Saga buildup was also a gift and curse. There were many movies that honestly made more bread than they should have due to the impending payoff with Thanos that did ultimately deliver in Infinity War. But even Endgame barring the end was mid.

They have to know they can't coast off just being purely MCU with the same formula forever. I don't think Feige is that dumb, but I'm hoping those in charge at Disney aren't forcing the same shyt over and over. Gotta have some originality and switch shyt up sometimes. Don't run shyt out.