Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Just started season 2.

Good show. I love how they tell the story of being trapped into gender roles and how that affects almost all the characters.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
its out already. im about 75% thru episode 2

Really liking this season. Really enjoying how the other characters are getting a lot more of a story line.

But, the series is really being a bit dishonest as far as race relations and sexism goes. They hint at sexism but the main character is acting like she lives in 90s. She's does whatever she wants without anyone batting am eyelash. How is there like zero racism in this show? How is a divorced WW able to travel around the world with a squad of BM leaving her children to be raised by their father will little to no resistance in that time period? Seems extremely unrealistic.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I'm currently on S2E1 and......

I literally rolled my eyes when Midge took the stage in the Paris club. Oh look....I spy an open mic and Midge has something to say! She looked like an egotist that had to rely on a foreign audience in order to go off.

Which.....happened a lot in the previous season, but during those times it felt fresh and believable with a New York audience. Foreign Paris crowd with an American translator that just so happened to be in the same spot as you? Yeah, not too much.

And I don't understand why Midge is begging for Joel to come back. Seems like a step down in characterization in comparison to S1.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
That sucks. The way this ep ends, you knew it was gonna happen, but you hate to see it :mjcry:
I just started S3 last night and judging by your comment, I think I already know which way this is gonna go. :francis:

I'm liking this season better than the previous. The writing is so good here that the tonal shifts blend seamlessly. S2 was fun with Catskills and the addition of Levi, but I felt like there was a little too much going on and it made me appreciate the first season more.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Really liking this season. Really enjoying how the other characters are getting a lot more of a story line.

But, the series is really being a bit dishonest as far as race relations and sexism goes. They hint at sexism but the main character is acting like she lives in 90s. She's does whatever she wants without anyone batting am eyelash. How is there like zero racism in this show? How is a divorced WW able to travel around the world with a squad of BM leaving her children to be raised by their father will little to no resistance in that time period? Seems extremely unrealistic.
The writers were completely blind to what it was like to be black in the 1950s.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
The writers were completely blind to what it was like to be black in the 1950s.
Everything is a bigger topic which is wild but maybe the writers didn't wanna make the focal point of the story. But it's dishonest to exclude it. A story about race would have been much more interesting than the doctor's storyline, mom's or dad's. They even ignored it with the Chinese folks. In reality the deal with the club should have been a whole mess.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Everything is a bigger topic which is wild but maybe the writers didn't wanna make the focal point of the story. But it's dishonest to exclude it. A story about race would have been much more interesting than the doctor's storyline, mom's or dad's. They even ignored it with the Chinese folks. In reality the deal with the club should have been a whole mess.
Yup, I would've liked if they had at least touched up on it. One of my all-time favorite shows is Mad Men and I loved how the writers didn't whitewash how racism was manifested at its time.