Marvel Studios’ BLADE with Mahershala Ali Announced

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I still say it was Black people's fault that Black Panther wasn't recasted.

Folks took it too far, actually forming a mini civil rights movement around the movie and crying real tears like we had made it to the promised land just cause a movie was made based on a character that a white man created.

And yeah yeah, I loved the movie too, and I love positive representation of us. But that still doesn't negate the fact that folks took it too far.

Even Chadwick was uncomfortable with it. Folks was walking up to him talking about "my king" and bowing and they was dead serious. I saw one video where breh was like :dahell: :unimpressed:

There was no way Marvel was gonna win the recast saga. If they didn't recast him, folks was gonna be mad. If they did recast him, folks was gonna be mad. It was literally a lose-lose situation. If you think that the think-pieces surrounding them NOT recasting were something, the think pieces about the "erasure of black bodies" and how "all black men look alike to Disney" would have been crazy if they had recasted :wow:
I think not recasting him was a good call. Like you said, it blew up into such a big thing, Chadwick was the face of it, and then he passed tragically. Too many emotions at play to put a new person in the role and proceed business as usual, because with the circumstances in which he was thrust in the role it's impossible to leave the shadow of Chadwick.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
f91itcBLhHr8.png

hKlyILFvLqUA.png

What is there to understand about Blade that he appears to be missing?

I was responding to the tweets in the above post, but honestly I regret even jumping into this thread.

I forgot that a lot of people care more about this shyt than I do.

My bad y'all.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think not recasting him was a good call. Like you said, it blew up into such a big thing, Chadwick was the face of it, and then he passed tragically. Too many emotions at play to put a new person in the role and proceed business as usual, because with the circumstances in which he was thrust in the role it's impossible to leave the shadow of Chadwick.
It's not impossible, that belief is part of the problem:mjlol:

They have a new Batman every 3 years:mjlol: Dead actors get recast all the time

Boseman's passing is definitely sad, and I wouldn't take that sadness from anyone, but black folks definitely put Feige between a rock and a hard place with the threat of a riot if T'Challa was recast

And what's the alternative? A boy who's a literal prince being raised in secrecy by his mama in Haiti:dead: think of how infuriating that shyt would be to find out as an adult that you've always been a king:mjlol: raising me in these fukkin slums

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds better UN-blackball Wesley for a cameo in Deadpool 3 :dead:

For years, Marvel and Snipes were in talks for him to reprise his role with Blade. It never happened because Marvel's Kevin Feige didn't want him back and was giving Snipes the run-around. See, Kevin Feige didn't become a producer of the Blade movies until Blade Tragedy. So you know Wesley took the fall since the film didn't do what the Studio wanted it to do to attract that new, younger crowd with Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel. They tried to blame Snipes for being a method actor and staying in character, which he's always done since the first movie, but since the first two movies were successful, you didn't know much about that. Snipes got blackballed, while Goyer and Reynolds's careers excelled.

Then Feige got contacted by Ali to do a reboot for Blade, and he agreed since Ali is a 2-time Oscar winner. Then Disney bought Fox and saw that Deadpool was a successful franchise that could continue to go with. Additionally, Ryan Reynolds said he would never want to work with Snipes again.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.

Boseman's passing is definitely sad, and I wouldn't take that sadness from anyone, but black folks definitely put Feige between a rock and a hard place with the threat of a riot if T'Challa was recast

And what's the alternative? A boy who's a literal prince being raised in secrecy by his mama in Haiti:dead: think of how infuriating that shyt would be to find out as an adult that you've always been a king:mjlol: raising me in these fukkin slums
As a breh from Haiti even I would be heated.

Everyday after I found out I'd be looking at my mama with the scust face :scust:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718

The man was the face of the biggest black movie ever that was beloved across the entire diaspora and then died suddenly in the middle of one of the most tumultuous years in history WHILE folks were out in the streets protesting black death worldwide. When he died, people were saying Wakanda Forever like T'Challa himself died. And then you have the cast and crew also dealing with the anchor of the whole fukking movie and a friend passing too? Cmon man

You CANNOT make a simple apples to apples comparison for this. To do so erases all of what that iteration of the character meant. Real life don't give a fuk about your characters, sometimes shyt happens that you can't just put a bandaid on

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps

:mjlol: shyts crazy bruh