Marvel Studios’ BLADE with Mahershala Ali Announced

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:russ: I’m still trippin with how they fumbled. Having the director of John Wick to direct this movie. I’m not saying he’s the greatest action movie. Director of all time, but homie did his thing with the JW series. And wanted to direct this movie. This is what he said. "I don't know if I would've been the best choice for that in the direction they wanted to go," he adds. "If you want to do the edgy rated R version, yeah, give me a call. If you want to be non-apologetic, yeah. That's me. But I think they're protecting their brand.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
:russ: I’m still trippin with how they fumbled. Having the director of John Wick to direct this movie. I’m not saying he’s the greatest action movie. Director of all time, but homie did his thing with the JW series. And wanted to direct this movie. This is what he said. "I don't know if I would've been the best choice for that in the direction they wanted to go," he adds. "If you want to do the edgy rated R version, yeah, give me a call. If you want to be non-apologetic, yeah. That's me. But I think they're protecting their brand.
Feige has to go, dude is a mess.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Pretty much all the actual decent ppl they could hire to do this could fit in this camp. The Raid dude could do it, all the dudes working the VoD circuit could do it etc but they always want to hire someone from tv or with 2 indie movies under their belt that they can control.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Feige had a brilliant idea. They milked that idea for all it was worth. Not every movie was good, hell some of them sucked but when we finally got around to 'Infinity War' it was all worth it. But now he's starting to look a little like a one trick pony. These last two phases been some mid or worse than that.

Blade should be a slam dunk no brainer. shyt ain't that hard to do. :dahell:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

Mahershala is old, they should look at damson Idris. Bulk him up and give him some martial arts choreography

:yeshrug:

While this makes the most logical sense (as opposed to Mahershala or Wesley), studios are adverse to making pragmatic decisions. Mainly bc they're perpetually on that bullshyt until they fukk up too much and are forced to act logically.

Like, it's crystal clear that in this day and age in Hollywood, it's the IP (and not the actor) that runs shyt. Yet when it comes to the black IPs we still tryna have the aging actor dictate the IP, even when it's a hindrance. Part of the problem is the studios themselves don't care for the black IP and had no interest nor trust in it until a well known black actor pitches it. And so the studio is more interested in building the movie around the black actor's dwindling "star" power and current limitations, than the IP's limitless potential.

For white IPs, the IP is the selling point. For black IPs, it's the black actor and they'll undermine the IP as part of their brainwashing that black as an IP is inferior unless you have the right (and safe) actor. If the right/safe actor so happens to be young and fit (like a young Wesley back in '98) then it all works out by pure luck. But if he's old, then you get the whole: "let's go with an Old Man Blade and introduce his daughter to take over!"

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
While this makes the most logical sense (as opposed to Mahershala or Wesley), studios are adverse to making pragmatic decisions. Mainly bc they're perpetually on that bullshyt until they fukk up too much and are forced to act logically.

Like, it's crystal clear that in this day and age in Hollywood, it's the IP (and not the actor) that runs shyt. Yet when it comes to the black IPs we still tryna have the aging actor dictate the IP, even when it's a hindrance. Part of the problem is the studios themselves don't care for the black IP and had no interest nor trust in it until a well known black actor pitches it. And so the studio is more interested in building the movie around the black actor's dwindling "star" power and current limitations, than the IP's limitless potential.

For white IPs, the IP is the selling point. For black IPs, it's the black actor and they'll undermine the IP as part of their brainwashing that black as an IP is inferior unless you have the right (and safe) actor. If the right/safe actor so happens to be young and fit (like a young Wesley back in '98) then it all works out by pure luck. But if he's old, then you get the whole: "let's go with an Old Man Blade and introduce his daughter to take over!"
:hubie:There was an old leak on Reddit. That said this movie would focus more on his daughter, and Elsa Bloodstone. But that could be complete bs, especially with all these rewrites.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Article discussing all the trouble going on with Marvel, some crazy shyt on Blade.

As public criticism mounts, Feige is pulling the plug on scripts and projects that aren’t working. Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead, a bizarre idea considering that the studio had two-time Oscar winner Ali on board.

Amid reports that Ali was ready to exit over script issues, Feige went back to the drawing board and hired Michael Green
, the Oscar-nominated writer of “Logan,” to start anew. Speculation around town is that the studio is looking to make the film, now slated for 2025, on a budget of less than $100 million — a deviation from Marvel’s big-spending strategy.